6970 Active DP->DVI Converter...

USMCGrunt

2[H]4U
Im currently running a pair of 5870s using an active DP->DVI Converter. Just pulled the trigger on buying a pair of 6970s and noticed that they have mini-dp outputs instead of the normal sized DP output...do the cards come with a miniDP to DP adapter? If not...will i have to buy another DP->dvi converter that has mini-dp connector??

I'd be surprised if it didn't. My 5970 came with one mini to full size DP. I ordered twin 6970s and expect the same but I don't see any pictured in the xfx box. Sapphire includes them. Oh well. Monoprice.

Looks like only Sapphire includes miniDP<->DP cable.

What&#8217;s in the Box:

- XFX Radeon HD 6970
- Installation CD
- Quick Installation Guide
- Driver CD Installation Guide
- XFX Serial Number Door Hanger
- DVI to VGA Adapter

SAPPHIRE 6970
CrossFire&#8482; Bridge Interconnect Cable
D-Sub Adapter
Mini-DP to DP Cable
6 PIN to 4 PIN Power Cable
8-PIN to 4 PIN x2 Power Cable
HDMI 1.4a high speed 1.8 meter cable(Full Retail SKU only)

awww....BULLSHIT!!

Anybody got one they dont need lol....

Oh....have the changed it to where you can use both DVIs and the HDMI for seperate outputs or does the HDMI still share a clock with one of the DVI ports?

Last edited:
Went out and bought an Apple Mini-DP to DVI adapter...gonna give it a try and see what happens...hopefully it works lol, ill let yall know.

sorry, I am getting so confused by all the ocnector, and active vs passive ect.

I am planning on getting a 6970 (same as OP) and need to hook up 3 DVI monitors. the first 2 would be dvi-dvi

What about the 3rd?? seems the card has left. 1 HDMI 1 DP and 2 mini-DP.
please recomend something form newegg, where I will be ordering card form.

If they're XFX, talk to this guy. Mines shipping tomorrow.

Nicely worded PM Sent to the XFX Rep.

Hoping they ship out one to me, especially since I have been using their cards since WAY back in the day...

sorry, I am getting so confused by all the ocnector, and active vs passive ect.

I am planning on getting a 6970 (same as OP) and need to hook up 3 DVI monitors. the first 2 would be dvi-dvi

What about the 3rd?? seems the card has left. 1 HDMI 1 DP and 2 mini-DP.
please recomend something form newegg, where I will be ordering card form.

You can not use the HDMI AND both DVI (unless something dramatic changed in the past few months that I somehow missed). Apparently they share a channel or something.

SO, you'd have to use one of the mini-DP for your third monitor. Without a DP (or mini-DP) monitor, you need an ACTIVE DP to DVI adapter, a passive pass-through won't work. So, something like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...607011&cm_re=DP_to_DVI-_-12-607-011-_-Product (which is out of stock @ newegg at the moment). They're pricy. And if you don't get one that goes from mini-DP to DVI, you'd have to get an additional adapter to go mini-DP to DP to DVI... I think. Which is ridiculous.

Note - they're may be other weird, Eyefinity quirks - like I don't know how VGA would work, or if you could use a passive connector if you're only using one DVI slot...

Correct me if I'm wrong, [H].

-HD

Well, being that eyefinity gaming is still more of an enthusiast level technology (though getting cheaper) you should be ready to buy additional stuff, though annoying it is for sure. Pick yourself up an accell active miniDP to DVI adapter at amazon.com and be done with it. Mine comes in mail today.

Well, being that eyefinity gaming is still more of an enthusiast level technology (though getting cheaper) you should be ready to buy additional stuff, though annoying it is for sure. Pick yourself up an accell active miniDP to DVI adapter at amazon.com and be done with it. Mine comes in mail today.

Agree, which is why the easiest/best option is just to get a DP monitor.

-HD

After seeing BeavermanA's post, I decided to send a PM to the XFF Rep and he has responded stating they are sending me one today.

This is just one more reason why I stick with XFX. They have great support after the sale!

i bought XFX thats cool they would send you one , i ordered one on monoprice with overnight shipping it was just 9$ , but ill contact xfx and see if i can get another since i have 4 monitors

Argh....well my active adapter cuts in and out...SOB!....so whats the name of this XFX rep?

Back