6950 too big what else would work?

Dulak

Limp Gawd
Havn't fully commited in buying a vid card yet ...

but if I were to get one and Id want as close to a 6950 performance wise as I could get which card should I go for?

Have a antec solo case which can fit 9 inch cards but not really any larger. 6950's tend to run 10-11 inches

Have a 5770 atm and a 550 antec Neo HE psu.

Id prefer something that was cool and not a powerhog if possible and low fan noise.

according to this page
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/2

the 6870 looks like a good bet ... just not sure about card lengths atm ...

any suggestions?

The 6870's come in at 10"

I'm not sure you're going to be able to find a high end card 9" or shorter...

For reference, the XFX 6870's dimensions are as follows: 10.3" x 4.4" x 1.5"

Xfx makes a 6950 that is only about 9.8 inches

Personally I'd buy another case as to not limit yourself in component selection. A box is a box (to me anyway). I need good airflow design and mounts for cooling as well as ample room for storage devices/video cards.

ya I saw this post on another forum ... (he did the measuring)
"BTW, its exactly 11" from the back wall of the Antec Solo to the leading edge of the Solo's drive cage.

However, the Antec Solo backend slots are recessed 3/4" from the back wall. This leaves 10 1/4" between the slots and the drive cage.

In addition, disk drives extend out beyond the drive cage on the Solo. A 3 1/2" disk drive extends about 3/4" beyond the disk cage when mounted. This makes some drive slots unusable with video 10 1/4" video cards.

That is, it would be problematic to slot a 9 1/5" video card with a disk drive mounted in the drive cage immediately behind it. "

I do have 4 HDs in my system; unless I can move one to a bay up top or something.
I was eyeing a lian li pc-8n case but wasnt sure I wanted to pony out the dought and a vid card atm ... prefer to just get a vid card.

I know when I had a 8800gts in my system 3 years ago it just barely fit (the plug was in the back so its plug was hitting my HD wires. And this card is measured at 9" inches.

I do like ATI more and dont really want to go back to NVDA; hmmm.
Zod, I assume you are talking about this xfx card -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150527
its stated length is 10.08 inches and maybe I could do this if I can find a place for one of my harddrives.

or switch back to nividia or get a new case and a 6950 ...

decisions decisions ...

+1 for a new case, it will be a better choice later on when the cards are all a larger format, unless (and i'm sure they will be) you wait for the same performance in a smaller package. Just my 2 cents. Although it is very likely you have a nice setup with the current case and don't want to change. Good Luck.

I do have 4 HDs in my system; unless I can move one to a bay up top or something.
I was eyeing a lian li pc-8n case but wasnt sure I wanted to pony out the dought and a vid card atm ... prefer to just get a vid card.

Get some 3.5" to 5.25" drive mounting rails (if you've got some room above) and you'll be set.

+1 for a new case, it will be a better choice later on when the cards are all a larger format, unless (and i'm sure they will be) you wait for the same performance in a smaller package. Just my 2 cents. Although it is very likely you have a nice setup with the current case and don't want to change. Good Luck.

Actually my case is sort of beat up and I could really do with another case (its been to 2 difference countries and about 8 moves in the past 5 years ;)

Main thing is Im looking at too many upgrades atm and trying to prioritize things ...

I do really like the look at size of the antec solo (or p150 as I have); but I wouldnt mind an extra 1inch or so in length for larger vid cards.
Saw pics and displays of the new antec solo II and really didnt like it. The lian li pc-8n looks quite similar to my current one; main difference is slightly larger space for vid cards (they say it can hold a 290 mm vid card) - only thing thou its only got 3 HD spots and the sound dampening is a bit less.

Ive been trying to find card lengths of all the 6950s this morning and I did run across this
https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=135403179429&topic=22166
"The SAPPHIRE 6950 is actually on a redesigned PCB so it is shorter than the reference card and offers better cooling performance.

The exact card length including the shroud is 24.5 cm or 9 3/4 inches so it should easily fit into your 10.5 inch space."

appears to be the shortest card yet - the few reviews I have read for the card

what motherboard? Maybe 6850's in crossfire.. Beyond that the new case is a good ideal.

well if you were planning on 6950 and wouldn't mind 6870... guess not really bothering OC' 6950. In that case, select GTX 560 OC models will fit in your case and would perform close to 6950 stock. I happily own a Palit GTX 560 ti 2gb model and it's only 7"5 long so I know.

personally I'd have also prefered 6950 cards (for the price) but I love my relatively powerful pc in a super compact case so I went in this route.

Back