6950 otw...good decision for single 1920x1080?

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
Just purchased the 2GB version of the XFX 6950 and I was wondering if I made the right decision as far as an upgrade from the 8800gts G80 (320mb). All specs are in sig. I play pretty much anything and everything. I currently just want to run COD 4 at higher settings than default without being in the 25fps range. All my gaming will by at 1920x1080 and as high of settings as I can get, so I'm unsure how this new card will do. I am very interested in unlocking the 6950 bios or flashing to 6970, but I haven't read enough yet to make a decision on either.

Any input regarding my purchase, the performance of this card at the given resolution, and information about the unlocking/flashing of this card would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of searching and reading on the unlocking and flashing, but more input would be helpful.

I'm very curious as to whether this card was the best card for the money vs a 570gtx or something else. I've been out of the computer world for a bit with classes and all.

The purchased card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4150518&cm_re=6950_xfx-_-14-150-518-_-Product

Last edited:
Download the link in post #381

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showth...137136&page=16

Extract everything into a base folder and get your original bios and rename it to Original.bin and place it in the base folder, then run the batch file. If you did not save your original bios then get a stock bios from techpowerup's vga bios database thingy. When you run the batch file a new bios entitled "modded" should appear in the base folder so take that one and get atiwinflash and load the new modded bios then click program and wait for it to finish. Also remember to keep your bios selector on the card to the 1 position which is farthest away from the CF ports.

I have a Sapphire 6950 2GB & its a great card in my opinion. Runs everything at maxed settings.

Last edited:
It's a good idea, if you unlock it. If you don't, you should probably have bought a 5870 or 6870 instead.

I have a Sapphire 6950 2GB & its a great card in my opinion. Runs everything at maxed settings. I wish I would of went with the Nvidia 560ti since at 1920x1080 it beat the 6950. I wouldnt flash my BIOS to the 6970 BIOS I would just unlock the Shaders & OC the card. My method above just unlocks the Shaders then you will need to OC if you want to. Im considering selling my 6950 as I write this

Just curious where are you seeing the 560 beat the 6950? Any review that I have seen the 6950 is better even at 1680*1050.

In any remotely biased game the 560 will beat the 6950 as they're about identical at 1920x1080. However, the 6950 is not slower generally speaking.

Bad Company 2 - I'd say that's about equal, less than 5% in it, and BFBC2 is known to now be nvidia biased (despite being the opposite way before driver patches).
Black Ops - Again they're about the same, and the 6950 is actually better where it counts (minimum fps) by 1fps - lol. Also, with a minimum fps higher than 60 for both cards, all comparisons between them are totally void.
Crysis Warhead - Again they're basically identical. 5% on the average fps isn't going to show by much.
With the 1GB HD6950 only $15 more than the 560, and the 2GB version only $25 more, the 6950 2GB isn't really a bad buy.

You can generally unlock the 6950 to a 6970 via BIOS, it's relatively easy and is safe.

"6950 otw...good decision for single 1920x1080?" Yes..! Hell even the 1GB version would do. The Nvidia 560 Overclock versions are generally matching or beating the default speed Radeon 6950 in most benchmarks I've seen. When I'm saying beaten it's not by that big of a lead, under 4-5 avg FPS which is nothing.

I also have a 6950 2gb on the way for my second rig which will be playing at x1080 at first but might go higher eventually. I don't regret it since i only paid $180 for it after using a $100 gift card newegg gave me from an xmas promo they had. I think the extra vram will come in handy over the next couple years.

Dude you'll be happy with that video card. I'm happy with the Radeon 6850 that I just bought so I know you would be just ecstatic over what you just bought especially if you are going from a 8800GTS.

It is possible with your video card, but performance would still be low for physx until you get a Nvidia 240. You have so few games out there that support Physx that the 8800GTS would just sit there idle doing nothing. You could though dedicate that video card to Folding@Home as an option.

Back