6950 or get another 6870 for xfire

Pingis

Limp Gawd
Hey guys. I tried doing a bunch of research but I don't fully understand somethings and the people on these forums have always been helpful so I need to ask for some help. I currently have a 6870 and was thinking about picking up another one for crossfire. Someone is selling a used on locally for a good price. Here is my dilemma though. I could also get a used xfx 6950 1gb for the same price.

I game @1680x1050. Most of the searches I did said that the crossfire 6870 is overkill for that and a lot of people suggested a single card solution instead. A lot of people were talking about CPU bottlenecks but I didn't really understand any of that either. I just want to be able to play upcoming games like ME3 and BF3 without having too turn too many options down.

So I just need to know which setup would be ideal for me if I don't plan on using more than one monitor. Thanks for any help in advance.

Oh, I'm not sure if this will help but my current cpu is a phenom II x4 955 BE

At low resolutions, the cpu bottleneck is much more evident ...
So... i would really say to go with the 6950. Better tesselation performance, newer card, better support from driver, no CF driver problems ... and it's an amazing bang for your money.

Later, if you decide to sell the card, you will find much more easy to sell the 6950 than the 2 6870's ... :)

thanks for the reply. now i just gotta make this deal happen and then sell my 6870

Hmm. Personally I say get the second 6870 and buy 2 more monitors. ; )

But yeah, for single monitor 1680x1050 you are probably better with a single card solution.

Back