690 to 980 sli

darme

Weaksauce
Headline says it all I've been rocking my 690 for about 2 years and it seems to be almost impossible to find a site that would compare 980's in sli to a 690. I know its older and the more vram would be better. But would it be better to hold off for a 990 which seems likely with the low tdp on these or just pick up 2 now? Any thoughts folks (rest of the system is fine cpu will not be a bottleneck).

Why hold off for a card that does not even have a rumor to be coming at this point? Just go 980 SLI now if you feel the need for an upgrade.

I know this is only 970 SLI, but you can use it as a guide since the 980's are about 15% faster.

This is all relative performance. No telling whether you'll notice an actual difference in your Avg Min. FPS, or if you can run more eye candy at your current resolution.

Are you currently VRAM limited on your 690?

1zb5obn.png

^^ Beat me to it! So there you go! ^^

Unless you have a reason for wanting a single card solution(maybe the same reason you got a 690?) then just go on ahead and get a pair of 980s.

As for comparisons in reviews just look for 980 Sli vs 680 Sli. The difference between 690 vs 2x680 is negligable in reviews.

Thanks for the info, I game at 2560x1600 and the vram has caused me issues in max payne 3, watch dogs and a few others so i was thinking flat out that the vram upgrade might be worth it.

Thanks for the info, I game at 2560x1600 and the vram has caused me issues in max payne 3, watch dogs and a few others so i was thinking flat out that the vram upgrade might be worth it.
Yes at that res you need to go ahead and jump on a 980 SLI setup.

Back