6860FX nVidia drivers

Goride

Limp Gawd
Hi, I jumped on the gateway P-series bandwagon (6831/60fx) like a lot of others here.

The game I primarily play on it is Age of Conan.

I have having some funky driver issues, and was curious to know if you guys were having the same.

First thing I did when I got it home was download 3dMark06 and run a test. I scored around 7400. Then I switched out my procs to a T7300 (it was in another laptop of mine... i swaped them). My score jumped to 7800.

Then I went to nvidia's website to download the newest drivers... of course they don't have them there. So I went to gateway.com and their drivers were the same ones that came with my laptop, updated in January.

So I downloaded some drivers from laptopvideo2go.com. Supposedly these were updated hacked drivers from the main cards but for mobile cards. So I gave them a shot. My 3dmark06 score dropped 400 points back to 7400.

Well this never settled very well with me. But I continued to play AoC.

I tried to reinstall the original gateway drivers but they would always fail. A few days ago I noticed gateway.com released some "new" nvidia drivers for my laptop. I downloaded and installed them and ran 3dmark06... score went back up to 7800. I was pleased.

Then I fired up AoC, and I got a pop-up saying I was using an older driver that was known to have issues with AoC. Great....

Upon further inspection, the "new" drivers that I downloaded from gateway were the same drivers that were released on January... but fixed so it wouldn't error out with the 6860fx laptops I believe.

I am having some poor performance in AoC with the gateway drivers, even with the 3dmark06 score being higher. (I was having some issues with the hacked drivers as well)

So my real question I guess is: Is anyone else having these 8800m gts driver issues? Do you know of some drivers that work well? Again, I mainly want them to work well for AoC. Any ideas?

EDIT:

Still running Vista Home Premium SP1 x64

In the process of formatting my 6860FX and loading Vista Ultimate. Also, I just grabbed the drivers from Gateway. They have two video drivers:

D20308-001-001.exe - nVidia Video Driver - Windows Vista 64-bit Version v7.15.11.6746
Supports: Windows Vista (64-bit) 6/4/2008
59,361 KB

D20252-002-001.exe - NVIDIA Video Driver version: 7.15.11.6746
Supports: Windows Vista (64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit) 1/23/2008
40,782 KB

One is made just for Vista 64, the other is for Vista 32 and 64. The Vista 64 one just released 6/4/2008, so if you are seeing a January , then you probably choose Vista 32's driver page...maybe go to the Vista 64 page and get the drivers just released this month...

I know the dates are different but look at the version number. They are the same. Essentially what needs to happen here is GW needs to get it together and release an updated driver.

You can get updated drivers from laptopvideo2go.com or guru3d.com.

Both sites take the official Nvidia drivers and modify the INF files to allow use with mobile GPUs.

Yes, the one that came out on 6/4/08 is the same driver as the one from january. The only thing is that it actually installs. The other one would fail every time i tried to install it.

I HAVE used the laptopvideo2go drivers. I get lower scores from using those drivers.

Goride, I play AoC on those GW drivers and I don't have any problems. Since you have been installing different ones did you try using a driver cleaner and doing a clean driver install?

I did use driversweeper... but I didn't double check it to make sure it was working under vista x64.

Also, what kind of settings are you running? I am running default high settings and adjusted shaders to 2.0 rather than 3.0.

I read a tip on the AoC forums that I tried and it worked great.

I run on the default High but I disabled shadows. Leave the shader model at 3. With shadows disabled I got a 15-20 FPS increase and I really do not miss the shadows.

I play AoC with Shadows disabled on a P-172X FX Gateway. 177.26 is the driver version I am using. Got them at laptopvideo2go with a modded inf.

My 3DMark 06 score dropped from the Gateway default drivers as well, but the games I play run considerably better with the new drivers, so i'm not too worried about a synthetic benchmarks performance.

I got a 20 or so framerate increase by using shader 3.0 and disabling all shadows in AoC... Must be a bug they are working on. All other settings in the game are on high.

I've noticed I get a very noticeable FPS boost by turning the shader to 2.0 and then disabling it.

If i have it at 3.0 and disabling it I drop 20 or so FPS. Everything I read says set it to 3.0. I have the same setup as some of these people. I wonder why I'm different.

Back