6850 vs 6950 1GB on a Corsair CX430 V2 ?

grenadier

Limp Gawd
Picking out a video card for my new rig and could use some feedback. I'm leaning toward the 6950 1GB since I'm looking to play more demanding games like Witcher 2, Stalker Series, and the Metro 2033 Sequel all at 1080p and the difference is only ~$60 (6850 $140 AR / 6950 $200 AR). My rig so far:

Intel 2500K ($180 Microcenter)
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Micro-ATX ($45 Microcenter)
4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill 1600
640GB WD Blue
Corsair CX430W V2 ($20 Newegg)
Antec P180B

My only concern is that the Corsair CX430 V2 only has one 6+2 video connector - is it safe to use a 2 molex to 6 pin adapter with this PSU to feed a 6950? Even under load with a 6950 I wouldn't expect the whole rig to pull more than 250W if I don't OC...

So - 6850 OR 6950?

Why dont you get a slightly better powersupply and not worry about it. If your putting that money into other things, whats a little extra to get a better powersupply that you know will work.

Why dont you get a slightly better powersupply and not worry about it. If your putting that money into other things, whats a little extra to get a better powersupply that you know will work.

+1 to this..Spend a few extra $$$ if you have doubts.

Here's the deal, if the HD6850 is enough video card and you want a cheap gaming system, then pick up the cheap (but decent) PSU.

If you're are going to spend another $50 on the HD6950 spend an extra $20-30 on a better PSU.

I already bought the power supply and I want to have my cake and eat it too :p This build at full load is also going to take so few watts I'd feel silly spending $$$ on a power supply that could supply 3x the wattage I need...

Any other thoughts / opinions?

why cut corners just to save 20-30 bucks? you have a 2500k and you want a decent video card yet you buy a cheap power supply and hope for the best? sorry that is just plain silly. and what good is a 2500k and 6950 and if you cant oc them and get the most use out of them because your psu is already borderline even when stock? I just dont understand some people.

Why OC when this rig will play everything I can throw at it at 1080p with everything maxed out at stock?? I've always OC'd in the past for gaming / video editing, but current hardware is so powerful now I barely see a reason to.

Why OC when this rig will play everything I can throw at it at 1080p with everything maxed out at stock?? I've always OC'd in the past for gaming / video editing, but current hardware is so powerful now I barely see a reason to.
that's your logic? you do realize that my pc was very strong and maxed everything when I built it. 6 months later and it was time to start ocing cpu and gpu though. heck even right now a 6950 can be made to struggle with the right settings in a couple games plus BF 3 will likley take it on pretty good. and the whole point of a k cpu is the unlocked multiplier for overclocking. so again it was a bad decision on your part to get a low end psu when building a high end pc. if you would have spent 20-30 bucks more you would not have to even worry for the next few years and could even upgrade from the 6950 down the road with no issue and oc your cpu to push that next card too. unfortunately you were being to cheap and short sided with your psu purchase though.

Last edited:
meh, you can always change psu later. Check slickdeals and you will come across good ones (40 or more A on the 12V line(s)) for pretty cheap (maybe around $40 or so shipped). If you do get the 6950, I would run it and the cpu at stock.

Corsair 650TX is a pretty good deal for a 50A+ psu that gets to about $65 or so when on sale.

why not save money and get a 2500 instead of the 2500k? your not going to oc so the k does nothing for you.

yet another person who got the k model not to oc.

why not save money and get a 2500 instead of the 2500k? your not going to oc so the k does nothing for you.

yet another person who got the k model not to oc.

I'm a little confused by that as well

I say get a new PSU, especially with that hardware. Your definitely gonna be happy spending the extra to bump upto a 6950, especially with more graphically intense games like Metro and The Witcher 2, plus there's lots of fairly demanding games coming up such as BF3.

I got the 2500k for $180 which is cheaper than the 2400 or 2500 - that's why I got it :D

Again, the question here isn't should I buy a fancier power supply. The question is will a 430W power supply safely run this rig which should top out ~250W. Also, could there be issues with using a 2x molex to 6 pin adapter?

I should've posted this in the power supply forum... I'm interested in the capabilities of the power supply not in being convinved to spend more $$$.

well facts are facts and you bought a power supply that is not really suited to your system. whether you like it or not people are going to make comments about it. just think you would not even have had to post this topic if you would have done the smart thing and bought an appropriate power supply in the first place.

that being said yes it will power your system with a 6950 if everything is at all stock speeds. and AFAIK there should not be any issues using the adapter. its going to be funny when you want to get more performance down the road and need to oc a bit as that cheaper psu will need to replaced. and really that costs you more money in the long run anyway.

Back