6850(BARTS pro) performance &price information

I think the launch MSRPs will be:

6850 - $189

6870 - $219

and I also predict that Nvidia will lower the msrp of the 1GB 460 to $199.

Not a chance in hell the 6870 will cost what the 5870 does. The renaming of the card to a "higher level" than it should be is already going to get them A LOT of flack. If they made it perform worse too they would be destroyed. The only way they would do what they are doing is if the keep up the pricing.

Well you're assuming that the 6870 and 6850 are to replace the 57xx series. I'm just not convinced they are. They only need to perform slightly better than the equivalent 58xx cards and they can happily release them for the same price as the 58xx series cards (maybe slightly less, but I wouldn't expect a lot less).

Its not like ATI are being blown away by the GTX460 performance wise. At most they are getting beaten on hype more than actual performance. As such they dont need to release a 5870 performance card at GTX460 levels to get the upper hand.

The 5770 performed the same as a 4870 and the MSRP is around $160. There is no way AMD is going to do rip-off prices that are not competitive with the GTX 460 1GB. It's not far fetched to believe we'll be getting roughly 5870 performance for around $200. I can already buy a 5850 for close to $200 after MIR.

I dont know what pricing in the US is like, but when the 5770 came out here it performed similar to a 4870 but was also priced the same (granted the price of both dropped slightly after its release).

The past generation didn't see a decent leap in performance/price. I just dont see why ATI would be motivated to suddenly do it now, especially given they've now decided to name the cards the 68xx series.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they're just naming them 68xx for the hell of naming them 68xx... but to me it sounds more like they realise they can get 58xx performance out of them and thus want to charge x8xx pricing rather than x7xx pricing.

AMD Eyespeed? What's that?

thats the rate at which all these guys will say that the scores are bullshit, the naming scheme is fucked up, the cards dont perform as well as they should, etc, etc. as soon as they see this.

That isn't safe to say at all. I think the 6850 will be in that price range, but I think it will underperform the 5850, in which case it will right in the GTX 460 performance and price ballpark, so I don't know why anyone with a 460 would look silly.

That is a rather specious argument. This might make sense if they said: "Introducing AMD graphics cards with the 1xxx series". But it isn't like it is a clean slate, they are clearly carrying on the generational naming scheme. The disappearance of ATI logo is irrellevant to this change.

It won't be priced like 5770. The only clear reason I can think of for using 68xx on Barts is they want to maintain closer x8xx series pricing. If they called it a 6770 people would be expecting a much lower price.

The reality is without die shrink there is no transistor budget increase to radically improve price/performance. Instead of moving into the 5770s niche. The 68xx will just be moving down a little bit in niche. Offering only a small improvement in price performance, thus calling it 68xx.
There is absolutely no way we will get less than 5850 performance for $200. Firstly, I can already get a 5850 for $220 after MIR. Secondly, the 5850 and 5870 are not the pinnacle of GPU performance. The 5770 was not priced like the 4870 even though it performs the same and has a better feature set. When the 4870 was released I remember it being closer to $300, the 5770 was never any where near that. The 5000 series are now a year old, the 6000 series high end will out perform the 5000 series high end; that is a given.

Pricing isn't dependent on the name, the 4850 had a msrp of $200. The 6000 series are about to blow Fermi out of the water, they are a generation ahead.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way we will get less than 5850 performance for $200. Firstly, blah blah blah....

Sorry, but all the rebates in the world won't make your wishful thinking come true.

Judging realistically by everything seen so far, this is exactly what will happen. The 6850 will underperform the 5850 and will be at least $200.

We can keep arguing back and forth but it is pointless, I have made my call, and you have made yours, it is down to waiting to see who is closer to the truth.

I don't care about all this naming crap, just please put something out on 10/12 so I can get off of this temporary onboard video and play something already

If they can release a card with 5850-levels of performance at $200, I'd definitely bite.

The gtx 460 is ~$219, which is where I expect the 6850 will drop, the 6870 will likely be ~$279.

If they were going to price it like the 5770, they would name it the 6770.

That makes absolutely no sense, the 768mb 460 is easily found for 150 and the 1gb is pretty easily found for 200 or less. If ATI did that they would NOTHING between the 5770 and the 6850, which is exactly where those cards are, which means they would cede that market to them. It very literally makes no sense at all.

It looks like I nailed the pricing. People need to stop confusing wishful thinking for reason.

Here a list of pricing samples:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036321512&postcount=765

uuuh, maybe wait one more day to get official msrps instead of a few prices from sites that may be gouging? You should be in no hurry to praise yourself.

I'll post Friday and congratulate you if you are correct.

So 6800 ---> 5770 performance? Any date on the 6800 release?

read the threads here man- everything is laid out clearly. Just cuz I'm a nice guy though, the 68xx series is being officially released tomorrow, the are supposedly going to perform well (6870 just above 5850 and 6850 above the GTX460 1G).

Some store is already listing these items. Though, these stores may have high msrp on parts, so who knows on prices with newegg/amazon etc.
For example, most of the below stores sells the AMD 1090T for $300-350. (newegg/amazons at $260 shipped)

VisionTek - https://www.sabrepc.com/p-672-visiontek-amd-radeon-hd-6870-1gb-pci-express-20-x16-retail.aspx ETA: 10/28/10
XFX - http://www.nextdaypc.com/main/products/details.aspx?PID=A589715&rsmainid=ND0130014
XFX - http://www.krex.com/radeonhd68701gbddr5hdhd687aznfc.aspx

XFX - http://www.nextdaypc.com/main/products/details.aspx?PID=A589714&rsmainid=ND0130014
XFX - http://www.krex.com/radeonhd6850775m1gbddr5hdhd685xznfc.aspx
ASUS - http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/product.asp?PRDCODE=1016-EAH6850_DC/2DIS/1GD5&REFID=FR

read the threads here man- everything is laid out clearly. Just cuz I'm a nice guy though, the 68xx series is being officially released tomorrow, the are supposedly going to perform well (6870 just above 5850 and 6850 above the GTX460 1G).
I meant a "6800" card specifically. Not the 6800 series.

I'm seeing all this speculation that the 68xx series is supposed to replace the 57xx series, but if I recall correctly, there was a slide from a XFX/AMD presentation that the 68xx IS NOT supplanting the 57xx. It stated that the 68xx series is the place between the 57xx series (which according to the slide will continue on through the 68xx series) and the 58xx series.
Finally found the slide:
83317390.jpg

If you think about it, there is an enormous gulf between the 5770 at around $150 and the 5850 at about $260 that the 5830 ($190) has been unable to fill. For a really good price/performance value, one has to go to nVidia for a 460, which seems to be the best value right now. To me, it's a brilliant idea to release something to fill that demand for the red team.

I realize that this is [H]ardOCP and not [V]alueOCP, but the high-end market is not where the revenue is. Hell, mid-range is not even where the revenue is, it's the low end, but that's another story.

I for one am very excited for the 68xx series. I'm still running a 4890 and it has served me very very well, but this is probably what will get me to update.

Will it make any of you feel better if they said
Barts Pro $180 with performance >= 460 1GB
Barts XT $250 with performance >= 470

Some of you folks need to quit looking at the model number put on these parts and just focus on price for performance when they're released tomorrow. As long as the review sites explain this is a mid-range card and put emphasis on the price for performance compared to the previous generation, AMD could have a winner in there hand. Regardless, all this incessant bickering will be a non-issue in two months when all parts are for sale.

It's basically up to the reviewers to straighten out the numbering confusion in the next couple weeks and let their readers know AMD has the performance/enthusiast/Cayman parts coming out next month. It would have made more sense to release Cayman first followed up by Barts since that would have mostly eliminated the confusion for people that can't see past the model number... but it is what it is.

Last edited:
83317390.jpg

If you think about it, there is an enormous gulf between the 5770 at around $150 and the 5850 at about $260 that the 5830 ($190) has been unable to fill. For a really good price/performance value, one has to go to nVidia for a 460, which seems to be the best value right now. To me, it's a brilliant idea to release something to fill that demand for the red team.

Yep, exactly.

And if you look at the prices the 5770 is going for today, it only makes sense that the 6850 and 6870 would be priced similar to what I just posted above... anything higher and they're right back to the big gap they had with the 5000 series.

I think this slide makes it even more clear what is going on. Clearly the 68xx is not a 57xx replacement.

58xx is splitting into two upper tier ranges a more affordable one and a more all out performance one:

174824quv1cwhwcszvt7ov.jpg

coolpc-amd-hd6850-11.gif

this is vs. a OC'd GTX 460 1GB... real world performance ftw

How heavily OC'd is the GTX 460? Looks like other than benchmarks, the GTX 460 can barely keep up with the 6850, although, we don't know the system config so there might be a bottleneck somewhere too.

That back and forth is hilarious.

I think it's pretty evident that the 6850 beats the 1gb 460, and the 6870 must beat the 470. I'm not sure how Nvidia can accommodate such massive prices drops, but meh.....The consumer doesn't care. The prices on AMD's last generation have barely even budged.

Last edited:
Back