680i and G.SKILL DDR2 800 HZ problem need help quickly!

TheGoat Eater

[H]ard|Gawd
So I got home today and my computer (see sig)wouldn't start up and I relized it was my HZ that was the problem - even though it has run fine of months until now. I put in my stick of cheap 256MB DDR2 533 - and it boots up fine - I can run the 533 at 2.1v but it won't let me switch the memory for the G.Skill when I set 2.1v... Now what am I to do - buy some memory or RMA this stuff as I upgraded to P25 BIOS and its still a no go. Now do I buy new RAM or RMA this stuff - I'm so pissed of now that I am running 256MB of RAM.

Thanks for all the help

Well, it sounds pretty clear that your RAM went bad. Will it boot with just one stick of it? If not, switch slots and if you still can't boot, try the other stick and repeat.

Once you're sure it's the RAM, RMA it! It's under warranty after all. I have the same RAM in my EVGA board and I've had no problems (knock on wood).

It happens. I once had a bad stick of Corsair 3200XL (expensive). Sent it back. . . and the replacement was bad too. Finally, on the third stick, things were fine. Again, it just happens.

yeah tried both sticks separately in every slot and its a no go - what are the chances that both went bad on me?

Have you tried running the sticks at same speed as the cheapie stick? Also if you have another system laying around you can test them in there, but I'm sure if you did you'd have done that and told us the results :D. Good luck

cleared CMOS !AGAIN! for the *teenth time (exaggerating a bit) and I got it to run one of the sticks - so now I know what the bad one is. So yeah - it still pisses me off - now to find another pair so I can get by while I RMA:(

what vdimm were you running your hz at? also, which hz do you have, the 6400 or the 8000? there is some issue with running high vdimm "eventually" killing ram on this board.

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26392

its a long thread, but its mostly the same pissed off guys posting over and over again. most of these guys were running 2.4v vdimm or more. i have been using the hz 6400 @ 2.3v+ vdimm since first week of november close to 24/7 without a twitch.

btw - if you read thru this thread you will see that corsair uses hundreds of evga 680i boards, many of them bought retail, to test their "dominator" ram before shipping. this is backed up by pictures of corsair's testing labs.http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1151552 asus amd boards as well.
so much for the evga 680i being a "ram-killer" board.

Back