680GTX 2GB upgrade

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
Got a buddy who has a 680GTX 2GB gpu on an i5-3570k asking whether or not he should upgrade to a 980GTX. I thought he should hold off, but he isn't happy with his performance at 1440 with FO4 and Elite dangerous.

I've got a spare 290x I've been trying to sell him on but he isn't a red fan at all and doesn't want to wait for Pascal. He is running the Dell S2716DG. So what say you, should he upgrade to the 980 GTX , wait for 980 ti prices to drop, wait for Pascal, or buy my 290x.

Wait for the new cards, see prices drop, decide on a strategy then.

Unless the GTX 980 card is a steal ($350), or the 290x is ($250) I'd wait.

At 1440 do you guys think the performance issue is more related to the 2gb vram or the 680 itself?

At 1440 do you guys think the performance issue is more related to the 2gb vram or the 680 itself?

Using as a single card, i doubt it. Nvidia and AMD usually provide enough vram for all their cards....Only way it would make a difference is SLI.

I just went from a gtx680 to a gtx970.

I know that on paper it's not a huge upgrade, and it doesn't feel like it. However, what it does enable me to do is play the same games with better settings as well as better performance.

I can only imagine that it would be a vast improvement gaming @ 1440p, as I game at 1080p.
(for reference, i'm running 16gb DDR4-3200 and a core i7-6700k)

I only bought a gtx970 now because i was able to liquidate my gtx680 easily, I wanted to get something for it while i still could.

I'm treating this gtx970 as a 'bridge' card until the next true generation of chips comes out, either nvidia or amd, which will likely have a much greater chance of handling 4k gaming.

I just went from a gtx680 to a gtx970.

I know that on paper it's not a huge upgrade, and it doesn't feel like it. However, what it does enable me to do is play the same games with better settings as well as better performance.

I can only imagine that it would be a vast improvement gaming @ 1440p, as I game at 1080p.
(for reference, i'm running 16gb DDR4-3200 and a core i7-6700k)

I only bought a gtx970 now because i was able to liquidate my gtx680 easily, I wanted to get something for it while i still could.

I'm treating this gtx970 as a 'bridge' card until the next true generation of chips comes out, either nvidia or amd, which will likely have a much greater chance of handling 4k gaming.
This is the route he decided on. Thank you guys for your insight.

Decent choice coming from a 680.

My target was a 970, but I was able to sell my pair of 780s for more than I thought and grab a 980Ti. It's been mostly a lateral move in terms of performance (although in some cases the single 980Ti is a little faster in certain games and slower in others), but the added VRAM, lower power consumption, and lower heat output compared to two 780s made it completely worthwhile. Can't get over how beastly Maxwell is...I'll probably be running it until the successors to Pascal and Pirate Islands arrive.

Well I thought the 980ti would have been the most logical choice since he didn't want to wait but the ti prices seem to be going up rather than down and are over his budget. He had $500 set aside for a GPU upgrade and I didn't want to talk him over that, his wife would probably murder me. But anyways we found a b stock 970 for $250 so all in all a good upgrade at an excellent price. Can't really complain.

Back