6800Ultra and Heat!!!

Ver

Weaksauce
I'm have a serious problem with heat on my 6800Ultra. With my case closed I'm hitting 65C idle and 75C under load. While my case is closed, I experience lockups, crashes and freezes. I'm no nub, these are signs of overclocking and extreme heat. In order to play games consistantly, I have to run with my case open. I think my case has good airflow, good enough to run a 9800NP at 410core and 600mem for almost a year. There are a total of 4 case fan in my box, not including the one from the ps, one of which is a vantec 80mm tornado. The second day I had it, I pulled the HSF off and applied AS5 to the gpu and memory. This help lower temps by about 3-5C.

However, this is NOT good enough in my opinion. I seem to be running out of options fast with this card. One thing I have noticed that is a serious concern to me is: during post the fan on the 6800U is spinning much faster than after windows loads the nVidia driver. Some of you will say this a good feature for noise.. Spare me. Worst idea ever is to force users to depend on a driver for cooling. This should be hardware and at the very least I should have control over this function, i.e., turning it off.

So, if anyone knows how disable this or increase my 6800U fan's speed, please let me know. I'm a few hours away from calling PNY for an RMA/refund.

I must add, when this card does work (case open with tornado up), I love it :)

Ver said:
I'm have a serious problem with heat on my 6800Ultra. With my case closed I'm hitting 65C idle and 75C under load. While my case is closed, I experience lockups, crashes and freezes. I'm no nub, these are signs of overclocking and extreme heat. In order to play games consistantly, I have to run with my case open. I think my case has good airflow, good enough to run a 9800NP at 410core and 600mem for almost a year. There are a total of 4 case fan in my box, not including the one from the ps, one of which is a vantec 80mm tornado. The second day I had it, I pulled the HSF off and applied AS5 to the gpu and memory. This help lower temps by about 3-5C.

However, this is NOT good enough in my opinion. I seem to be running out of options fast with this card. One thing I have noticed that is a serious concern to me is: during post the fan on the 6800U is spinning much faster than after windows loads the nVidia driver. Some of you will say this a good feature for noise.. Spare me. Worst idea ever is to force users to depend on a driver for cooling. This should be hardware and at the very least I should have control over this function, i.e., turning it off.

So, if anyone knows how disable this or increase my 6800U fan's speed, please let me know. I'm a few hours away from calling PNY for an RMA/refund.

why don't you just hook it up to a molex?

Ver said:

Not that I want to help PNY ;) , but an NVIDIA customer is an NVIDIA customer. Any chance you can post inside case shots of your fans/cooling/graphic card in your case?

Thanks,
Scott Herkelman
EVP Marketing

[BFG] AirWalker

bobmanfoo said:
why don't you just hook it up to a molex?

???

Molex as in power cables?? I have both plugged in, with thier own line. And before you ask or imply, i have a 480W Antec PS with 22A on the 12V.

Ver said:
???

Molex as in power cables?? I have both plugged in, with thier own line. And before you ask or imply, i have a 480W Antec PS with 22A on the 12V.

Sounds like you have it hooked up right... :) hmm..

sherkelman said:
Not that I want to help PNY ;) , but an NVIDIA customer is an NVIDIA customer. Any chance you can post inside case shots of your fans/cooling/graphic card in your case?

Thanks,
Scott Herkelman
EVP Marketing

[BFG] AirWalker
p.s. BFG plays COD everynight... feel free to shout at us!

No. No digital camera for me :(

However, I thought that might be a problem so i unplugged everything and move wires/cables around best I could. That tornado in my box is at the front of the case blowing air directly onto the 6800U. I might try reversing this later.

Personally I would RMA it, a new card should be running cooler.

However, if you really want to try getting the fan working full power all the time it is actually very simple in concept and reasonably easy in implementation....

Concept: The fan on the 6800u connects to the motherboard with a 2 wire connector.
All you need to do is connect the fan to another power location on the motherboard, or through an adapter directly to a molex.

Implementation: Simply get your hands on a 3pin-male to Molex converter and then plug the existing 2 pin from the fan into it. You may need to use electrical tape to hold it in place, but it should work. The card still may not work though because it may see that nothing is plugged into the fan power on the card and not turn on. If that happens then just pull a GPU fan off an old card, or get an old CPU fan and cut down the connector so the yellow cord is no longer connected and the black and red parts fit into the card's fan port. Then mount the new fan out of the way somewhere in you case and plug it into the fan port on the 6800u.

Personally though I would rather have a good card working the way it's supposed to rather than cobble together a solution like this on a new card (I wouldn't hesitate on an older one though).

Ver said:
???

no i mean hook up the fan to a molex, thus bypassing the fann control

As mentioned, run the videocard fan off of a converted molex.

Sometimes it can reduce the strain on the videocard, sure its only like .2 amps or so that the videocard no longer has to worry about but every little bit helps. Running straight off the molex usually gives the full 5 or 12 volts too (most newer videocard fans run off 12V) wheras sometimes on a videocard, it gets the "leftover" voltage.

I often wonder how heat is going to be managed on the new 6800ultra. I mean, I've got a 9700pro AIW here, sitting in a nice 18 degree celsius room with the case off. Replaced the thermal pad with AS5, sanded down the heatsink, took off the shim, and replaced the plastic pins with bolts screwed to the point where the card is just slightly bowed. It still gets hot enough for me not to be able to keep a finger on it for more than a few seconds.

Is it the added heat from the videocard causing the CPU to lock up, or is the videocard itself locking up? I suggest you need to revist your entire case airflow strategy. Examine total intake and exhaust cfm, run it under slight positive pressure, and filter your intakes.

If the card is locking up you may want to add a side intake fan below the level of the AGP slot to provide a source of cool air directly to the intake of the blower on the 6800. If the CPU is locking up, put your side intake directly over the CPU socket to do the same for it.

4 case fans total?
where at?
personally id just get a side intake and position it right over the card.
And its N00b or newbie...nub makes you sound goofy :p

noob nub nubin n00bie whatever, doesn't matter i suppose, anyway, I'd definitely get that RMA'ed there is something obviously wrong, and i Doubt that its the GPU fan, unless you KNOW that its running too slow i mean 75°C is little too hot, even for OCed CPU's. Get that RMAed, then get water cooling :D

JucyTEC said:
noob nub nubin n00bie whatever, doesn't matter i suppose, anyway, I'd definitely get that RMA'ed there is something obviously wrong, and i Doubt that its the GPU fan, unless you KNOW that its running too slow i mean 75°C is little too hot, even for OCed CPU's. Get that RMAed, then get water cooling :D

why RMA it when it could simply be hes not getting enough air flow to the thing?
if he RMAs it and they send him another one and the same deal happons..then what?
just because you can RMA it and get a new card doesnt mean the problem will just go away.
Hes got a power supply that should handle the thing with no problem unless hes running a ton of drives or something on it. Right now Im willing to bet its all in the way his cooling is set up.

The problem is they've got the fan blowing the wrong direction! I don't mean the actual fan, I mean it's placed so that all the hot air is being circulated into the case. When will companies figure out the hot air needs to go out of the case :(

If this is a sign of what is to come, I can't wait to see this product get mass distribution and see the forums fill with overheating issues. ;)

To get it back on track, I too have the pny 6800 ultra. It does run pretty warm...about 59C idle. I don't know how its load temp is though. My cooling in the case goes as follows: 1 80mm intake fan blowing towards the 6800ultra. I have every expansion slot cover removed from the back too. I have 1 80mm exhaust fan drawing air across the cpu. I have no floppy drive and all of my drive bays are empty save 2. I have the side of my case open. My cpu temps are all good too. It never reaches 50C under full load. I can see on the card the thermal crap they put between the ram and the sink, they didn't put a good amount on.

merlin704 said:
even if its a d00d? :confused:

waitress ;) thinking of something else? :p

Hmm sorry about your heat problems. Is there maybe a sound card right under your 6800 Ultra that could be blocking the exhaust from the hsf? Maybe you could move other PCI devices down a couple of PCI slots?

6800 Ultra should be a beastly performing card when scaled up (by xtreme oc'ers for that matter, not the average user). X800XT PE can only hope to pray for mercy in 3DMark03 when that time happens :)

botreaper10 said:
To get it back on track, I too have the pny 6800 ultra. It does run pretty warm...about 59C idle. I don't know how its load temp is though. My cooling in the case goes as follows: 1 80mm intake fan blowing towards the 6800ultra. I have every expansion slot cover removed from the back too. I have 1 80mm exhaust fan drawing air across the cpu. I have no floppy drive and all of my drive bays are empty save 2. I have the side of my case open. My cpu temps are all good too. It never reaches 50C under full load. I can see on the card the thermal crap they put between the ram and the sink, they didn't put a good amount on.

Does it crash on you at all? perhaps that temperature is within it's limits. (scary thought)

re: "My Rig:pNY 6800 Ultra @ stock...for now... Crappy 15" HP monitor"

you have a strange sense of priorities. My view is spend more on the monitor as that is what you are actually looking at, and you will most likely keep it through several computers. (I have a GF3 video card hooked to a beautiful 21" SUN monitor, the GF3 works for everything currently out, and when Doom3 ships I will be getting my 6800, in the mean time for the last 3 years I have been looking at a good monitor, not squinting at a 15 incher)

==>Lazn

My good 19" monitor crapped out with a power surge. All i have left is this crappy monitor. I am going to get a new viewsonic g90 something or other in a few weeks. It is completely stable at stock speeds.

thread_direction.gif

Download the rthdribl tool here--> http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

Open your temp utility in the Nvidia display properties, and move it over to the side of the screen. Now click on the rthdribl tool .exe and let the program auto-run. Monitor your 6800 Ultra temps, and you will not believe how hot the chip gets. Run it with your case open, and note your highest temp. Now, while the tool is still running, put the door on your case. If your temps go even higher then you do not have proper air-flow within your case. With a properly set up case, your temps should actually drop by 2-3c when the door is installed.

It is important to run the tool and look at your temp at the same time, because closing a 3D application, and then quickly looking doesn't work. Your temps actually drop by 10c by time you get the Nvidia temp display up.

Give this tool a try, and run it this way, it is rather interesting to see just how hot the 6800 Ultra gets.

This thing crashes me instantly.

In responce to earlier suggestions about running the fan off a molex, I've been unsucessful at disconnecting the fan from the card. The plug and the outlet come off together :(

I couldn't even get them apart with a screwdriver...

scott122 said:
Download the rthdribl tool here--> http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

Open your temp utility in the Nvidia display properties, and move it over to the side of the screen. Now click on the rthdribl tool .exe and let the program auto-run. Monitor your 6800 Ultra temps, and you will not believe how hot the chip gets. Run it with your case open, and note your highest temp. Now, while the tool is still running, put the door on your case. If your temps go even higher then you do not have proper air-flow within your case. With a properly set up case, your temps should actually drop by 2-3c when the door is installed.

It is important to run the tool and look at your temp at the same time, because closing a 3D application, and then quickly looking doesn't work. Your temps actually drop by 10c by time you get the Nvidia temp display up.

Give this tool a try, and run it this way, it is rather interesting to see just how hot the 6800 Ultra gets.

I am going to tell you what my friend did when he wanted to OC his system an extra 100 or so mgz with his 3400+.

Get an air conditioner, and hook it up to where the side panel of the case is. Then turn on the air conditioner during the summer to compensate for the heat.

Back