6800k overclocking. Need some advice.

Deacon_Jones1988

Limp Gawd
I just recently upgraded from an Asus m5a99x Evo, fx 8350, 16gb of ddr3 ram to Asus x99 Deluxe II, i7 6800k, 32gb of ddr4. I hung on to my 980ti sli. That 8350 was a real bottleneck, based on the performance I am getting from games now. Its amazing really. It looks awesome on my new RoG Swift.

Anyhow, I'm looking to overclock this cpu. I have a AiO cooler, h100i. But I am not familiar with alot of the options within the uefi bios for this chip. I currently have it OC'd to 4.0ghz no problem. I haven't even adjusted the Voltages. They are stock. But I would like to push it up a bit further.. Maybe around 4.3ghz+ if possible. I would just like some advice from some of you guys who have some insight on what settings I would need to adjust.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.

-Stay [H]

Well you will be surprised at these Auto Voltages sometimes auto settings will give it too much voltage. Recently went through it myself. Download Asus Realbench and download CPUz if you haven't already.

Run realbench stress test and see where the voltage is, Real Bench so far has been the most realistic bench for me. My cpu passed AIDA 64 at lower voltage but crashed real bench after 10 mins. Now I have a stable overclock due to it.

There are two modes in real bench stress test and benchmark. do the stress test and select how long you want to run it for. I stopped mine after 3 hours first during the day and then I did it for 6 hours overnight. Then I shut it off.

With h100i i wouldn't aim for higher then 1.37v. That might limit you to 4.2 to 4.4 ghz. Most broadwell-e will run 4.2 ghz at fairly low voltage so h100i will handle it without a sweat. Closer to 1.35V you will start to see a spike in temperatures. If you want to run it silent and cool i would set voltages at 1.3v and 4.2ghz and then tweak voltages up or down to get realbench stable for 4-6 hours. If you want to get maximum performance regardless of noise and heat then you can try for 4.4 at 1.37v

What is considered a good temperature under load for this?

Max for me is 80. Good temperature is subjective and depends on your cooling and noise tolerance
Noise tolerance in this regard is completely irrelevant. Let me rephrase, what is the max temperature under load with overclock, where they're still tend to be stable.

My max temps @ 4.4 ghz with 1.33v is around 65-70C benchmarking for 1+ hour and only 50ish C when gaming.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry it took me so long to reply. Been very busy.

Anyhow, I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what exact settings to adjust to achieve the most stable overclock. Should I only adjust the cpu ratio? or ratio and frequency? Or those with other settings? I know that AMD chips are quite different from Intel chips. But on AMD chips I usually just upped the voltage a bit and increased the ratio and that was it. Thanks in advance. Look forward to hearing from you.

-Stay [H]

Edit : Just OC'd to 4.3GHz ratio @ 43 & frequency @ 100mHz . Voltage is @ 1.225v Running Prime 95 now & it's stable so far at this time for like 10 mins.

Last edited:
With h100i i wouldn't aim for higher then 1.37v. That might limit you to 4.2 to 4.4 ghz. Most broadwell-e will run 4.2 ghz at fairly low voltage so h100i will handle it without a sweat. Closer to 1.35V you will start to see a spike in temperatures. If you want to run it silent and cool i would set voltages at 1.3v and 4.2ghz and then tweak voltages up or down to get realbench stable for 4-6 hours. If you want to get maximum performance regardless of noise and heat then you can try for 4.4 at 1.37v

Thanks for this. This will give me a clear picture of the "ceiling" I will take your word for it and keep it at or below that voltage. That is... until I upgrade my cooling to a custom loop, which will be very soon.

-Stay [H]

That first overclock I did with the asus desktop app. It gave me a few problems. So I booted into the BIOS and set the same settings as on desktop app. It will not go past splash screen. I'm going to keep tweaking. Thanks.

disable hyperthreading. you will save a few degrees. disable turbo.

you could also disable the c-states, power saving features. But that shouldn't be necessary, unless you are trying to squeeze every last drop. Or you are otherwise having a heck of a time keeping it stable, at all.

Another great stress test is Handbrake. [H] found crashing issues in Handbrake with their 6700k, even though Prime95 seemed stable. A friend of mine had the same exact problem, just two nights ago. And handbrake will actually load up six threads of real work, on your CPU. Unlike a lot of games and other programs.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry it took me so long to reply. Been very busy.

Anyhow, I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what exact settings to adjust to achieve the most stable overclock. Should I only adjust the cpu ratio? or ratio and frequency? Or those with other settings? I know that AMD chips are quite different from Intel chips. But on AMD chips I usually just upped the voltage a bit and increased the ratio and that was it. Thanks in advance. Look forward to hearing from you.

-Stay [H]

Edit : Just OC'd to 4.3GHz ratio @ 43 & frequency @ 100mHz . Voltage is @ 1.225v Running Prime 95 now & it's stable so far at this time for like 10 mins.

dam you have an amazing chip my 6850 at 4.3 takes 1.375v on custom water.

Thanks guys for the replies. I appreciate it.

dam you have an amazing chip my 6850 at 4.3 takes 1.375v on custom water.

thats nice to know. Its' still going strong. I tried mine at 4.4 and 4.5 and I can't get it to be stable. I haven't tried to push it above 1.4v yet though. Im not confident that the h100i could cool it effectively at that voltage.

-Stay [H]

Thanks guys for the replies. I appreciate it.

thats nice to know. Its' still going strong. I tried mine at 4.4 and 4.5 and I can't get it to be stable. I haven't tried to push it above 1.4v yet though. Im not confident that the h100i could cool it effectively at that voltage.

-Stay [H]
i think it would melt at 1.4v im pushing 68-70c stress testing.

Back