6800GT's video quality

sugii

Limp Gawd
I just recently upgraded from an 9700pro to a PNY 6800GT. Being with ATI for so long, I dont know if this is the same way with every nvidia card, or just a problem I have. The problem is that the video quality on avis, mpgs, and any video file is pretty bad. With ATI the video quality was pretty sharp and clear, but with the 6800 the video has bad colors and blurry.

So is it just that nvidia doesnt render video files as well as ati, or could it be something else. I use ForceWare 66.81.

(or could it be that I am just a clueless bastard :( )

sugii said:
I just recently upgraded from an 9700pro to a PNY 6800GT. Being with ATI for so long, I dont know if this is the same way with every nvidia card, or just a problem I have. The problem is that the video quality on avis, mpgs, and any video file is pretty bad. With ATI the video quality was pretty sharp and clear, but with the 6800 the video has bad colors and blurry.

So is it just that nvidia doesnt render video files as well as ati, or could it be something else. I use ForceWare 66.81.

I have a 6800 GT, and I have none of these problems. You may want to try going with the 66.72 WHQL drivers, instead of an unofficial driver, and see if that fixes your problem.

I used thoes drivers when I first bought the card, and I first noticed this problem when I had them installed.

could be the card. I don't have any bad video problems with my Gainward 6800GT GS... Looks as good as it should..

with certain movie files it comes up with the blue screen of death and "NV4**.DLL Has failed to initialize"

then something to do with paging a none pageable file - memory dumps and pc restarts ??

yea.. that's not a good sign... the worst that should happen is the player should crap out, not cause a BSOD.. sounds like it might be time for a RMA..

wickfut said:
with certain movie files it comes up with the blue screen of death and "NV4**.DLL Has failed to initialize"

then something to do with paging a none pageable file - memory dumps and pc restarts ??

Ummm, I would run driver cleaner.

Well thanks for the help. I guess I can just live with it for awhile until I really have the time and patience to mess with it all. The reason I really dont want to use the 66.77 drivers is because they make doom3, and cs crash when I exit the game.

Oh well, thanks again.

This is what you need to do..

1. Boot to safe mode and run driver cleaner.
2. Boot to windows and reinstall the latest drivers.

Usually when switching from ATi to Nvidia and vise versa its real good practice to actually just do a fresh format and reinstall of windows, you're pretty much guaranteed a :D after that.

I'd also reinstall any video codecs you may use. I had issues when swtiching my card as well and that helped a lot.

I use the 66.70 drivers on my XFX without any problems on video. No problems on exiting doom3 either. I found that these drivers worked best for me ;)

the 66.81's aren't as fast in OpenGL as the 61.77's.. If you use them, you will lose performance especially in Doom3.. there's a reason they're beta drivers..;)

If you check out the forceware roundup here, you'll see Doom 3 taking a big performance drop

good point.. I'm tempting to try this driver myself, but I don't have any problems, and I'm still basking in the difference from upgrading my Ti4200.. I'll probably wait for the next official release.. :D

No video problems using the 6800GT with NV Silencer. Looks great on my 23"LCD...

I got a Gainward 6800GT also. Using 66.70 forceware. I noticed the bad video quality too switching from a 9700pro.

I am using an LCD screen, and when I run any divx movies full screen, there is a streaking line in the middle of the video screen!! anybody notice that? try running your divx movies FULL SCREEN.

By the way, the card doesn't actually render the video the same way as it does with games, the IQ will be whatever the camera recorded it as, and not affected by the card.

Jhya said:
I got a Gainward 6800GT also. Using 66.70 forceware. I noticed the bad video quality too switching from a 9700pro.

I am using an LCD screen, and when I run any divx movies full screen, there is a streaking line in the middle of the video screen!! anybody notice that? try running your divx movies FULL SCREEN.

i do all the time and its fine :rolleyes:

Back