6800GT vs 6800U

Bullitt

2[H]4U
I'm sitting here thinking about some my backordered 6800gt from microcenter.

They're having that 20% off sale and I bought (which got backordered) a evga 6800gt. Total cost is $342. Not bad, still $50 cheaper than 'egg.

They have the 6800Ultras in stock for $439 + tax and shipping, its gonna run me about $466. Given their sale, that means the card is $550 their retail.

I was thinking about cancelling the order for the gt and going ahead with the ultra.

I wanted the guaranteed speed instead of OC'ing and hoping for the best.
The money is not a big issue, the value is more important; $440 for the ultra, $320 for the gt.
My current monitor only supports 1280x1024 @ 60hz (this sucker is old as the hills). A monitor upgrade is planned, but not for a while; waiting for ~19" flatpanel LCDs to drop this quarter.
I play Tribes:V, EQ2, Tribes2, NFS2 series, and generally I buy the latest FPSs out there.
I recently switched to a relatively quiet system (120mm fans with controller), so I got used to a less audible system; I used to have 80 and 92 mm fans running full blast.

I dont have to have the "bleeding edge system" but I want something that will not hold me back yet leave me room to grow. What do I gain by going to an Ultra over GT given my monitor bottleneck? Again, money is not critical, the cost is going to narrow once I get the NV5 silencer. I will not be doing SLI as I originally planned with the mobo prices in the $200-$300 range this year. My decision has to suit me for the next 18-24 months.

Thoughts, opinions?

Get the gt. I have two of them and i couldn't be more happy. Both overclock to ultra with stock heat sinks and stable. And these bad boys will eat up games like a hot knife threw butter. Trust me that extra cash is worth it. Well thats my opinion

JKownz said:
Get the gt. I have two of them and i couldn't be more happy. Both overclock to ultra with stock heat sinks and stable. And these bad boys will eat up games like a hot knife threw butter. Trust me that extra cash is worth it. Well thats my opinion

i think you mean that extra cash "ISN'T" worth it.. hehe
well if you can't wait for the GT to ship.. go ahead and grab the ultra.. since money is not an issue...

so gt OC=ultra
but....
ultra OC=Ultra Extreme hehe just look at it that way...

Thats true but that money for a few MHZ more i think in my opinion is pointless. Having a GT at ultra speeds is enuf power to last you for a few yrs at least. So a SUPER ULTRA 6800 would be crazy tho. HEHE :D

The Ultra's performance gain isn't much over a GT even at stock clocks. I don't think it is worth the mark-up, unless you are a maniac overclocker, in which case the Ultra should go faster even with equal cooling thanks to the higher core voltage combined with dual power hookups.

I was unimpressed with my ultra at stock speeds. It was quite a bit slower than my XT PE at the resolutions and AA/AF settings I game at. As a UE, it's quite good. It matches my XT PE@X850 speeds quite well.
I would recommend the Ultra, OC'd/flashed to UE.

GregP24 said:
I was unimpressed with my ultra at stock speeds. It was quite a bit slower than my XT PE at the resolutions and AA/AF settings I game at. As a UE, it's quite good. It matches my XT PE@X850 speeds quite well.
I would recommend the Ultra, OC'd/flashed to UE.

did ya really noticed a difference between the U and UE... hehe.. i underclocked my ultra down to GT speeds for fun and didn't even notice the difference hehe

I think hes talking about benching, cuz I cant tell the difference between my GT @ 400/1100 and 370/1000 in games.

Just picked up my eVGA 6800 GT from microcenter yesterday. I originally went in to get the 6800u which was $239 but they were out of stock. So........ being told they had only one and it was a GT i decided what the hell. HELLA SWEET ;) i'll post oc specs soon! Oh and ordered a NV5 silencer so i will see how that would do.

I did notice a difference in gaming. 4xAA/16xAF@1600x1200 is smoother on the UE. And benching? Holy crap this thing is fast.

Stock ultra(400/1100)
12767 3dmark03

eVGA Ultra(425/1100)
13417 3dmark03

UE(450/1200)
13969 3dmark03

OC'd(470/1230)
14337 3dmark03

Thats the exact info I was looking for. I believe that I just wont notice a difference until I get rid of my monitor bottleneck. Thanks for the input. I'll keep the GT on order.

I'd go for the Ultra: I went from an AGP Ultra to a PCIe GT and there's definitely a difference in performance, but since I'm now using a Shuttle as my main box, no PCIe Ultra for me =(

Note: I can't get my GT to 'clock to even stock Ultra speeds (my Ultra was runnin' 440 1.2) so, obviously, that's a factor.

or just get a refund and buy a BFG 6800gt OC www.bfgtech.com Best Buy has em in stock for 399$(what the cards are suppose to be sold for) and get a great(fast) card..backed by the best warrenty in the buisness

Back