6800GT pci-e

I got my BFG 6800GT OC 2 days after ordering it from Directron.com. Works great. I really wanted to go PCI-e and get a new mobo too, but the available just sucked and I didn't want to wait. I know it sucks, but ATI and nVIDIA are doing the best they can. Their new lines all use the same GPU. It is just a difference in manufacturing quality that determines if the chip becomes an X700 or and X800, or a 6800GT or 6800 Ultra. The chips themselves are the same, design wise, and printing on the same silicon wafer. But only 2-3 out of a batch of god-knows-how-many can test well enough to become the top-of-line GPU's. We're at the mercy of physics, not the company(ies).

This is ridiculous. 1 month until chumbo restocks with 6800gt's :eek: and they are BFG's official retailer.
One of the Asus X800xt pci-e's is starting to look better and better, at least they can be found in stock, even if it is for $599!

I think they have em in stock its that they have to many backordered so. I'm assuming they meant they will have excess after there backorders have been filled by the next month.. (meanying 5-6weeks = there month im sure) ;)

poach said:
This is ridiculous. 1 month until chumbo restocks with 6800gt's :eek: and they are BFG's official retailer.
One of the Asus X800xt pci-e's is starting to look better and better, at least they can be found in stock, even if it is for $599!

Chumbo shipped my BFG 6800GT PCI-e last Thursday. Came yesterday but I missed it. The website still says highly allocated as far as I know but they are shipping backorders.

J-Mag said:
Your points make sense, but if Nvidia also speed bins their bridge chips or just manages ot put crappy ones in your 6800gt, that could be a limiting factor vs the AGP versions...
Who knows how their yeilds are on the bridge chips? I mean seriously... The 6800GT AGP has the EXACT same core (NV40) as the PCI-E, well then why wouldn't there be more in the market place ot fullfill demand? Could it be that the Bridge Chips are not getting good enough yeilds to even run at 350mhz (standard core clock for the nv40) ?

Anyway, just a thought.

I have been busy trying to get the maxmimum speed out of my CPU and MB over the last few days, but when I get around to it I will post my MAX clocks for the two 6800GT PCI-E's I have...

Yeah.. I still acknowledge the bin... it's just the GT's seemed to do damn goood. They must have had good yields even on AGP. The thing is it's just so damn hard to get those puppies up to 450 core and such off the one molex. It was just a big point for me... so many times you see a GT become more unstable after a bios mod to ultra power... or so little gains from a waterblock. I'm more just recognizing stuff and making other conclusions as well as you... the Ultra's second molex wasnt for show and now neither need it and they are cap for cap identical. Of course theirs bins, but the power collar is gone. :) I mean in the AGP days.. the most compelling reason pay the extra $100 was so I could volt mod it, put on a waterblock... I dunno... have some fun with the damn thing. Heavy OC'ing a GT AGP i think you will hit a power wall.

texuspete00 said:
Yeah.. I still acknowledge the bin... it's just the GT's seemed to do damn goood. They must have had good yields even on AGP. The thing is it's just so damn hard to get those puppies up to 450 core and such off the one molex. It was just a big point for me... so many times you see a GT become more unstable after a bios mod to ultra power... or so little gains from a waterblock. I'm more just recognizing stuff and making other conclusions as well as you... the Ultra's second molex wasnt for show and now neither need it and they are cap for cap identical. Of course theirs bins, but the power collar is gone. :) I mean in the AGP days.. the most compelling reason pay the extra $100 was so I could volt mod it, put on a waterblock... I dunno... have some fun with the damn thing. Heavy OC'ing a GT AGP i think you will hit a power wall.

Yeah your power presupmtion makes sense I guess... Obviously the PCI-E bus can provide way more power than the AGP bus, plus you got the extra 2 12v lines coming in via the 6pin PCI-E connect (However, if you are using an adapter that has a molex Y-Splitter, wouldn't that effecitvely reduce the power because both 12v lines on the 6pin are coming from just one 12v line that is split...)

Also, you have to take into consideration that the Bridge Chip itself will draw more power, but that wasn't my main worry. I was more interested in the fact the smae chips just have a WALL, no matter how much power you feed em, no matter how many volts you put through, no matter how cold they are, some chips just can't run faster than some arbitrary number. Well that means since the NV45 has 2 Chips and the NV40 has 1, your chances of getting either chip to have a wall is greater...

However, your point that the 6800GT PCI-E has more Value vs the PCI-E Ultra compared to the like offerings in AGP is really true. Especially since you can get a 6800GT PCI-E for $400, but most ultras I have seen are $600-700

I finally got around to testing out what clock speeds my solitary BFG 6800GT PCI-E can reach.
Well overclocking through coolbits is new to me (this is my first nvidia card in 4 years) so I am not sure if this is the limit b/c when coolbits "tests" the overclock rating and comes back saying that it doesn't work, can you actually run it at that speed in certain games?

Anyway for now I pushed it all the way until it would not give me a positive test result.
MY BFG can do 420core 1.18mem all at 65F ambient and stock cooling, EZ Plug connected and both molex's feeding the adapter have their own wires and nothing else is drawing off of them.

I am surprised at the memory speed actually and the core could probably do more with a better cooling solution. I played CoD for a few hours at these settings and noticed no anomolies, so I am assuming that the coolbits "test" is a conservative one, no?

Gave up trying to find 6800gt's so a bought a x850xt pe insted.
Should be hear by monday :D

I've been waiting for Chumbo.com to get the BFG 6800gt PCI-E back in stock and when I checked today the product wasn't even listed anymore?!? The availability on these things is driving me nuts. I've got money to spend and nothing to buy...

they had a sweet deal, 2 x BFG 6800 GT PCI-E's and a BFG 550 Watt power supply with dual 12v rails for 849.99

i bought my eVGA 6800GT at GameVE.com, i bought it for 480.00 with shipping and i got it on October 20th 2004. Currently its clocked at 435/1200.

texuspete00 said:

No the second molex wasn't just for show. It also included some extra caps and components for that. However the PCI-E version is the exact same board. The caps and layout are identical and neither one has two Molex's due to them using the 6 pin power instead of the standard four pin molex.

So I believe that if you have good luck with OCing the GT to an Ultra, the Ultra isn't worth it for the PCI-E cards. I know about the memory difference. But OC'ed it seems that the GT has EVERY bit the performance of the Ultra.

Mwave.com Has Retail eVGA Geforce 6800 Ultra PCIe in stock I got mine for 604.00 flat and there core clock is 425mhz like BFG :p

I keep hearing about the eVGA cards comming with the same clocks as the BFG. So far I've never actually seen this. My eVGA 6800GT PCI-E is clocked at 350MHz core and 10000 memory. Just like the reference card.

BTW what are you guys using to check your clocks with anyway?

Sir-Fragalot said:
I keep hearing about the eVGA cards comming with the same clocks as the BFG. So far I've never actually seen this. My eVGA 6800GT PCI-E is clocked at 350MHz core and 10000 memory. Just like the reference card.

BFG 6800GT's are 370 1000 stock... My PCI-E can do 420 1180, still waiting on my other....

edit: for stupidity

Sir-Fragalot said:

Coolbits or Powerstrip. I don't know about the Evga 6800 GT PCIe, but there have been several Ultras that shipped with 425 core stock. Bonus!

Coolbits shows my 6800GT PCI-E at 350MHz default core and Powerstrip shows the same. So I guess there's little truth in that rumor, that or it applies only to Ultra's.

In either case I'm trucking along at 400/1100 anyway. :D I'll push it further when I can grab a NV5 r2 Silencer.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Coolbits shows my 6800GT PCI-E at 350MHz default core and Powerstrip shows the same. So I guess there's little truth in that rumor, that or it applies only to Ultra's.

In either case I'm trucking along at 400/1100 anyway. :D I'll push it further when I can grab a NV5 r2 Silencer.

Have you heard anything good about the nv5 r2? Also, will the rev1 or rev2 fit properly on the PCI-E versions, or is that why they made the rev2?

Yeah I started noticing some weird light blue artifacting the other day when I had my clock up at 420/1180 in CoD but then again my remoote had the freaking heater on and it was like 71F in my room ( I actually close all the heater vents in my room to keep it cooler than the rest of the house, jeezus man this girl had the freaking thermostat at 78f the other day)

I never thouhgt I would turn into a thermostat nazi...

Back