6800gt overheating problem

ruffz

Limp Gawd
To make a long story short, I'm only able to play any games with the 66.93 drivers, all of the more recent ones make my card overheat to the point where I get random 5-10 second lockups constantly. My temps are as follows: with the 66.93 drivers, avg idle 52C, load 65c. With any of the more recent drivers, avg idle 76C, load 100C. Does anyone know what could be causing such a huge change in temperatures? I have an RMA number and am ready to send my card in for warranty service if it's defective, but I don't want to go without it for 2+ weeks unless it really is. Are there others here that have had similar issues, and if so how did you correct them?

i have found that in order to make these newer driver sets function proplerly you must set the cooling fan to always on in the control panel.....in order to do this you need the cool bits registry hack.. after you get the coolbits reg settings you can then access a menu called clock frequency in the nvidia control panel. there at the bottom you will see a box and the text FAN ALWAYS ON. put a check in that box and press apply.... you can get coolbits in a lot of places it is not a program it is just a menu that nvidia hides that must be unlocked in the registry. you can get it done automatically by going to this link...http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_coolbits/

perhaps you are having power issues... not even my antec truepower 350 is enough for my system and it is by no means a monster. i get minor voltage droping om my 12v rail. that increases while gaming... i mean it. it just does get it done... i upgraded from a foxcon400 and was having similar issues.... now all gone..

Check to make sure your heatsink is seated properly. and if you have to try removing it and adding some artic silver... the heatsinks on the gforce6800 dont fit right and may require some adjusting.

i had to rma my bfg6800gt because the memory wasnt even touching the heatsink when i took it out of the box... :(

If you're serious about cooler temperatures might I suggest an IceStorm NV6800C5? You'll see your temps drop to around 45C Idle and 55C load. :)

consumer9000 said:
If you're serious about cooler temperatures might I suggest an IceStorm NV6800C5? You'll see your temps drop to around 45C Idle and 55C load. :)

I was looking at your products last night actually and they look impressive, once payday comes around again I'll likely get one of the C5's.

I'm worried about this b/c it is happening to me as well. I have idle temps w/ a bfg 6800gt in the high 60's and load up to 100. Games crash when it stays in the 90's for any amount of time.

Some people have 6800gt's with idles / loads at much lower temps. Others have consistent high temps regardless of driver version. Does anyone know what the answer is?

Footnote: it is NOT the PSU in my case. I have a PP&C510sli (with only 1 gpu).

thanks.
sd

What kind of cooling do you guys have in your cases? Is it in a really enclosed area where no cool air can get sucked into the case? Are the heatsinks hot to the touch? I ask this because it's a good way to determine if the cards' thermal sensors are screwed up. Have you called the companies that make your video cards to see what they have to say?

it appears to be all driver related for me. i've been back on the 66.93's for a couple days and am idling in the low 50's and peaking around 65.

Back