6800Gt may be going back to the egg

Vlad335

Gawd
I've had it with this card!

First off, everything was great in the begining with the Leadtek A400 6800Gt. Upgraded from a 9800pro for 299.00. Scores were about 2000 more in 3dmark01, almost double in 03 and 05.

Couple days ago I started seeing stuttering in Battlefield Vietnam. Now 3d games run slower. Noticeably slower! I check the temp in coolbits and it is unchanged, about 50c idle. I have tried multiple drivers ( Always cleaning with DriverCleaner3 BTW) and no change. Now my 3dmark scores are about what my 9800 pro was. WTF!

I noticed Leadtek came out with a new bios so I thought I would give it a try. I flashed the bios and it runs even slower! There is something seriously wrong with this card.

I have a pretty decent system. A64 3500+, gigabyte GA-8kns-939, 1 gig OCZ PC3500 ram, and a OCZ modstream 520 PSU.

Well got an RMA number from the Egg. I will be out 44.00 in the process. Is there anything else I can try? Why would it get slower?

I am thinking of getting this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102398 Good upgrade or should I try some other things with this 6800?

Might be some spyware or other software running in the background. Have you tried reformatting?

i would definitely suck it up and try reinstalling OS. If that big of a deal you should try and uninstall all video drivers and even looking for the ATi bits and pieces before reinstalling. I dunno man... I wouldn't want to suck up the $44 plus another $150 for a XT PE. Just seems like you had a good $300 upgrade and now upping the ante to $500 after restock will leave you with very little better. Better FPS, less features. Too much.

Thanks

Run Ad Aware and Spybot everyday. Don't think this is a problem...

I guess I will try a reformat. Whats weird is it worked great at first. I wish I could go back to the old bios on the card since I think this made things even worse.

I admit I am on the fence about this. I would like to use the $200 I was going to spend for a sleeved OCZ Powerstream from Frozencpu.

I had the same problem when making the switch from a 9800 XT to a 6800 Ultra. A clean slipsteam Windows XP SP2 install fixed all my issues.

Do yourself after you do a reformat, though. Make an image file of the OS partition after you've loaded all of your drivers and main programs. Will save you lots of time in the long run.

Also, I've followed a specifc reformat/installation guide for some time.... figured you'd might like to give it a try. It was writen for the 865/875 chipset but you can do pretty much the same thing with any setup you have.

LINKAGE

Of course, the links on where to get the drivers probably aren't most up to date though.

Good luck. Hope the reformat does the trick!

Try a replacement one first. Send them that one and get the same card......no restock, no extra cash except shipping it back. I had a BFG 6800NU do this to me.....i didn't get a replacement cause the GT is so much better and since I've waited this long already, I'm gonna end up paying the same for much more performance (take that nVidia!). anyway, definetly try re-installing the OS....if that doesn't work, get a replacement, not a different card.

Great posts! Thanks!

I will reformat tommorrow. See what happens...

Replacing is a good idea. I just got pissed off and jumped the gun. I want to make sure this card is OK because I am going to void the warranty when I stick a waterblock on it. :(

Back