6800GT Extra molex addon?

ICE_PIMP

n00b
I was thinking about this today when i was looking at my BFG 6800GT. At the area where there is the missing extra molex that the Ultras use, there are little led connectors and everything that needs for a molex to be connected. The only thing that is missing is actually just the molex connector. Couldnt you just somehow solder on a molex onto there? It is well known that the extra molex allows you to go past the 420-430mhz barrier with the GT's only one connector.

So what do you guys think? :confused:

I was just wondering if it was possible :) I sure as hell aint gonna be the first one to try :)

you'll have to add more than just a molex connector. there are other components that are missing as well.

felix88 said:
you'll have to add more than just a molex connector. there are other components that are missing as well.
yeah, you're right. The picture from the ixbt link shows that one voltage regulator, some transistors and capacitor(s) are missing from the 6800GT board picture that are on the reference 6800 Ultra board picture.

Too bad it wouldn't be so easy to upgrade it.

ICE_PIMP: the PCB is the same, but it IS missing components. Look at the 2 pictures closely (6800GT and ref 6800 Ultra).

take a look at the actual pictures and you'll see the other components that are missing. look near the power connectors and the heatsink toward the end of the card.

That'd be a neat weekend project though for anyone with a lot of time & money if someone could track down the parts that they use on the 6800U's extra molex.

Oh yea now that i look at it really close :( oooh well! So much for my little dream of breaking the 420-430mhz barrier for the GT's :mad:

flash your card to an Ultra BIOS and slap a CPU HSF on the core. see how it does then.

felix88 said:
flash your card to an Ultra BIOS and slap a CPU HSF on the core. see how it does then.

That still wont make it breake the 430 barrier since thats were the extra power is needed for it to exeed. I bet nVIDIA put that extra molex on there so that the card wouldnt get the image of a sh*t OC'r. Because the NV40 WILL do 400/1100 with a single molex

Looks like it's missing a mosfet or two, a couple big caps, a few little caps and the power connector. Plus whatever the 5 pin white connector is on the top left.

felix88 said:
hmm, mine runs 430/1170 ok.

what kind of PSU do you have?

It wont go over 430mhz right? See thats when the extra molex comes in :) It is needed for further overklocking. That is why the Ultras are equipped with them. But to answer your question i have a 430W Aspire PSU

i just clocked it up to 435/1170 and did a 3DMark03 run and didn't see any artifacts or notice any thermal throttling. my score WAS about 500 points lower than normal, but i did the run without a reboot and i had 3 IE windows open, Kazaa, Trillian and F@H in the background.

Back