6800GT Died while playing Quake 4 :(

Bumrush

Limp Gawd
So my card crapped out a few days ago and no longer had a video signal.. Luckily I had purchased the CompUSA replacement plan and was able to get a new card right away.. However, today, I decided to check my Antec Truepower 430 and noticed my 12v rail fluctuated all the way down to 11.39, which is almost a 5% fluctuation. Is this something to worry about and could it have been the reason why my card died? Or is that well within operating range?

Brand new in the box.. I forgot to register the card with PNY and the asswipes told me that if you didn't register in the first year, years two and three were not warranted.. Then I remembered I had the Compusa exchange plan.

My Asus A8V Deluxe reads my 12 volt rail at 11.39 in the Asus Probe software as well. We have different mobo's but i'm guessing your using the Asus software to read it, check in the bios for the reading. Mine says 11.97 in the bios.

EDIT: And I have a Antec Truepower 480w.

Don't go by software. Check it with a multi meter. And yeah, that could definitely be the cause if it is truly dipping that low.

The only real reading you can get is by using a digital multimeter.

The reading you're getting is just software and there's nothing to worry about even if it was real. 5% is still ok until you hit 8% then you worry..

Undervolting doesn't typically fry electronics. It just starts to operate unpredictably because the logic voltages start to register in the "unknown" range. Overvolting however is another story, you overvolt, you end up kicking more current through and that kills electronics.

The Asus probe is really inaccurate when it comes to voltages. Mine never reads over 11.49 on the 12v rail and 11.3 at load, but when I tested it with a multi-meter it was a rock solid 12.0 even under load.

Bumrush said:
Brand new in the box.. I forgot to register the card with PNY and the asswipes told me that if you didn't register in the first year, years two and three were not warranted.. Then I remembered I had the Compusa exchange plan.

If you forgot how is that their fault. Either way man whatever you do dont forget to register the new one if that extends the warranty for a full 3 years.

ShuttleLuv said:
Don't go by software. Check it with a multi meter. And yeah, that could definitely be the cause if it is truly dipping that low.
This.

Don't trust software for exact readings. a 5% fluctuation can easily be pure error.

Actually, I've had a low end psu fry a motherboard and the 12v was dropping very very low. It can happen.

Back