6800GT Best AGP card for the money?

Wipeout

Limp Gawd
Everybody,

I'm considering doing the video card upgrade thing from my GF4 Ti 4600. I've only got AGP and I've had this system for just under a year. Don't want to upgrade the whole thing to a new PCI-E mobo, new processor, etc. So, that limits me somewhat in graphics card choice, it appears. I don't see many high-performance cards that are AGP (and will run things like BF2, which the GF4 I have won't even run...stupid EA programmers). Is the 6800GT going to give me the most bang for the buck on the AGP playing field? Should I wait for some of the early adopters of the new 7 series to put their 6800GT AGP cards up for sale?

Or do I need to have a visit with someone's sense stick?

Yes, thank goodness we have some logic here. Not everyone can afford to just throw out money for a new motherboard and sli graphics configuration. AGP can still give good performance and 6800 GT is a good choice. Also, note that Compusa.com has a x800 Pro for 299 which is very respectable.

Krycek1 said:
Also, note that Compusa.com has a x800 Pro for 299 which is very respectable.

Not worth the money

tranCendenZ said:
Yep, 6800GT = best bang for buck.

quoted for truth, unless you can find an X800XT for about $300

So, if these sell for around 300+ new...what should a used one out of the FS/FT forum put me back? Any rhyme or reason to that?

Wipeout said:
So, if these sell for around 300+ new...what should a used one out of the FS/FT forum put me back? Any rhyme or reason to that?

I've seen them go from $250 to $300. Depends on how trusted the seller is, and what condition the card's in. But in the end, everything in the FS / FT forum is worth what the seller is willing to sell it for.

Hahahahaha...I'm sure that's true. The good news is the majority of the [H]'ers here are trustworthy, eh?

Wipeout said:
Hahahahaha...I'm sure that's true. The good news is the majority of the [H]'ers here are trustworthy, eh?

Well, check the trolls forum first. After that, if you could score one for close to the $250 mark you'd be getting a hell of a deal.

got my 6800 gt that runs perfect at ultra speeds for 190$ shipped on ebay.

Look for mispellings, or mislabels on ebay

mine was a geforce fx6800 gt

there aren't as many people looking for wrong spellings etc, and so you can find really good prices.

For the money I would say 6800 vanilla, just because they can be had for under $160 shipped! (check newegg/cheifvalue for a bulk pny oem model - goes in and out of stock almost daily)

The GT looks nice but the cost increase is a LOT!

k1114 said:
For the money I would say 6800 vanilla, just because they can be had for under $160 shipped! (check newegg/cheifvalue for a bulk pny oem model - goes in and out of stock almost daily)
Definitely not. Best bang for the buck in the AGP market is the X800XL which costs the same as a 6800nu and will outperform a 6800GT in many cases. Unless you buy a video card just to overclock it, than the X800XL will be a much better choice than the 6800 cards are right now.

BTW, I'm not an ATI f_nboy; I'm just not blinded by consumer loyalty like so many people on this thread seem to be.

Parden my French,but where the hell is a AGP x800xl for 200 bucks?I'd love to find a retail for that price...

GVX said:
Definitely not. Best bang for the buck in the AGP market is the X800XL which costs the same as a 6800nu and will outperform a 6800GT in many cases. Unless you buy a video card just to overclock it, than the X800XL will be a much better choice than the 6800 cards are right now.

BTW, I'm not an ATI f_nboy; I'm just not blinded by consumer loyalty like so many people on this thread seem to be.

Tell me where the hell I can find an X800XL for $160! Cheapest one i've seen lately was ~270, so 6800nu's are a LOT cheaper right now. I'd go with an X800XL over a GT any day, but that's a whole other price range.

k1114 said:
Tell me where the hell I can find an X800XL for $160! Cheapest one i've seen lately was ~270, so 6800nu's are a LOT cheaper right now. I'd go with an X800XL over a GT any day, but that's a whole other price range.
Sry, I hadn't realized that the 6800nu had gotten a price cut. Here in Canada, the card is still being sold for around $400CAD (which is the same as the X800XL AGP).

Thats really expensive there :( Here the nvidia side is dropping like crazy, although I expect things will drop across the board in the coming months. Right now the cheapest model of the full 6800nu is even cheaper than some 6600GT's!

I picked up a BFG 6800GT from a [H]er in the FS/FT forum for $270. I didn't think that was too bad. Now to get my own copy of Battlefield 2...

Thanks everybody.

That's a great deal. Just make sure your case has good airflow, as that card can get real hot.

I just purchased a 680GT from the refurb section at new egg for $211 shipped. Spent the weekend playing through Riddick.

money well spent :D

My airflow is pretty good...any good programs for monitoring card temp and ambient case temp? I don't want an always-on solution...just something to check temps out periodically.

Back