6800GT artifacts, not overclocked.

carblow12

Limp Gawd
When i play warcraft 3 and Counterstrike Source i get artifacts then source freezes, but wc3 doesn't. When i play Unreal tournament 2004 i don't get any artifacts. What could it be. Its all stock cooling. Think my video card is dmg or getting too hot. While i was playing wc3 the highest i've seen was 81C but everyone says that normal. Think i should decloking it? Or what? Thnx for the help.

To me, that seems a bit high for a videocard, but then again I'm a generation or two behind :D but I am upgrading soon....

I would contact your retailer you bought it from, then if they are of no help, get ahold of the manufacturer. These cards are capable of overclocking way past their default, so I don't see how you would get artifacts unless the card is bad...

The only other thing I can think is you don't have enough air moving around your case and the card is just overheating....what's the air system look like in ur case? how many fans and sizes etc.

I have one 80mm in the back and 1 80mm in the bottom front. I have the BFG 6800GT with the copper HSF fan thing. With the two blue led fans.

I am thinking 81C is too hot. You need a better cooling solution. Check to see if your fan on your vid card is actually running.

81c is way to hot. i would either return the card for new one. or take the HSF off it reapply some thermal compound and reattach the HSF.

81c is not too hot, my BFG with teh same cooler was getting up to 93c with rthdribl running and it was perfect. sounds like a bum card to me

81c is normal for these cards

try some different drivers too, that could be hte problem

Don't underclock your video card... . Just return it if you're going to do that. That completely destroys the point of buying a new card. Just get it replaaced.

YOu think there is anything i can do to get better cooling w/o buying anything b.c i only have 6 dollars.

I had a problem before with artifacting on my card, different card though, ATi 9800XT. It artifacted in all games, and it kind of spread which I found odd. At first it was just a white dot a few seconds, I just ignored it. Overtime it got worse and then it was artifacting on my whole desktop. I called up ATi they said it was bad memory on the card after I thought it was to hot maybe. I know the cards are different, but you might have a defenctive card, it might not be heat. It is stupid to keep a bad card, 3 weeks is a while... but you will do. Sometimes RMA is fast though, I sent mine in on a Saturday, I got it back a week later on Wednesday, and ATi was nice enough to ship it Priority Overnight. :D Not sure on BFGs RMA policy or service though.

ADDED: WooT.. Post transformed me from a Limp Gawd to a Gawd :D :D

I contaced BFG, but since its sunday probaly wont get a response by early in the week.

ya, from what i've heard the 2 fan with blue LED's cooling solution looks alot better than it actually is...the nvidia reference cooling solution keeps it way cooler than the BFG one. It does look cool tho :)

first off, 81c is not too hot. the thing has a thermal throttling at 120c...obviously its better to have it cooler than 81c but its a reasonable temp and within the limits of the card. as for the artifacting, my card was doing the same thing originally, found out i hadnt completely shoved the power dongle in. that fixed everything. if you bought it from a store just go and return it, if you got it offline try getting a replacement from the store, cuz i think the rma will take a much longer time than through the store.

Yea i got from a store from ebay. Maybe ill try the power cable thing and see if it fixs anything.

hmm 2 case fans try running with the case open. this is what i have to do till i get a new case GETS VERY hot around the card

I have played CS Source for 4 hours clocked stock 425/1100 and she never got over 72C
( I had the temp running on my second monitor) I think you may need to evaluate your case cooling

run the case open ^^ i.e take the side off and leave it off

I have my case open and no artifacts. What should i do? Is it ok to leave my case open?

You can leave the case open or improve the air movement inside your case. Add some fans or clean up your cables to help with the flow.

looks like it's time to fix your airflow :) look around your case for any places where 80mm fans could be placed, or 120mm if your case goes all out. Order a few and screw them in...just make sure your powersupply can run a few extra fans. If worse comes to worse, cut out a side-hole and slap a fan in there. Re-arranging cables will help alot too....just move them as far from the videocard as possible...i keep all cables clear of the center of my case, so the CPU and videocard can breathe.

Back