6800 / XT Review Round Up

The current 6800/6800xt poll is sitting at 8, so 4 times as much.
lol. Were there any polls like this for the 2080, 2080 Ti release? What about something like that 1080 or 1080 Ti? I just want to realize how far down we've gone to determine what success is LOL.

Reactions: kac77
like this
lol. Were there any polls like this for the 2080, 2080 Ti release? What about something like that 1080 or 1080 Ti? I just want to realize how far down we've gone to determine what success is LOL.
Excuses, whataboutism. Why are you so invested in a company that really doesn't care about you?

We live in the world of today, which is the 3000 series versus the 6000 series, not the world of yesteryear (though there is plenty of evidence that nVidia had more stock of both the 1000 series and 2000 series at launch than the 3000 series).

AMD appears to have brought more stock than nVidia using the straw poll on this very form. nVidia has yet to deliver stock in any reasonable amount and we are now month(s) in. Time of course will reveal if AMD drops more cards than nVidia, and fans will always be blind to reality (such as AMD traditionally suppling ~20% of the market place and no one expecting nVidia to F up this bad on their supply, thus AMD planning to provide 20% of the market with some small uptick potential, not 90% of the market).

IIRC I think, the latest watchdogs can/will use > 8G ram at 1080p, although I dont' have the reviews infront of me.

Picked from FPS Review both 1440p and on 4K (which should make the Vram requirements even worse) the difference between 3070 and rx6800 is almost within margin of error. Same thing with 1440p. If the game can use VRAM more than 8gb then it does not seem to do anything concrete with it and not having it does not tank the game. The game seems to run just as fine on both.

1440p
https://d1sxg8jua9jde6.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/2.png.webp

https://d1sxg8jua9jde6.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/2-1.png.webp

Or at least I presume the Ultra Preset is pushing everything to the max?

*Typo fixes

Last edited:
The current 6800/6800xt poll is sitting at 8, so 4 times as much.
True, but I wonder if it would have been the same if it were the 3070 and 3080 releasing at the same time, since that's essentially what we're looking at here. Only 2 people got a 6800 XT which is the direct competitor to a 3080-level card. It seems to be the same situation with Zen 3 where the 5600/5800 are slightly more obtainable than 5900/5950 which are extremely scarce.

Excuses, whataboutism. Why are you so invested in a company that really doesn't care about you?

We live in the world of today, which is the 3000 series versus the 6000 series, not the world of yesteryear (though there is plenty of evidence that nVidia had more stock of both the 1000 series and 2000 series at launch than the 3000 series).

AMD appears to have brought more stock than nVidia using the straw poll on this very form. nVidia has yet to deliver stock in any reasonable amount and we are now month(s) in. Time of course will reveal if AMD drops more cards than nVidia, and fans will always be blind to reality (such as AMD traditionally suppling ~20% of the market place and no one expecting nVidia to F up this bad on their supply, thus AMD planning to provide 20% of the market with some small uptick potential, not 90% of the market).
Because Nvidia didn't F up. If we saw the results over time, you would see that both AMD and Nvidia are failing because TSMC + Samsung cannot supply the market with GPUs.

Tune in next year when Nvidia's buyout of TSMC 5nm magically makes them not fail while AMD goes who knows where to supply.

We are all losing in this.

Because Nvidia didn't F up. If we saw the results over time, you would see that both AMD and Nvidia are failing because TSMC + Samsung cannot supply the market with GPUs.

Tune in next year when Nvidia's buyout of TSMC 5nm magically makes them not fail while AMD goes who knows where to supply.

... yes, yes nvidia did f up.

Nvidia securing 5nm capacity in now way means AMD didn't also. Right now AMD is using tsmc for every product they make, there's a zero percent chance they haven't already already signed contracts to secure 5nm capacity.

Last edited:

AMD has had 5nm Navi 3 on their road map for months now.

Tune in this time next year when NV gets Ryzen 3d.

Because Nvidia didn't F up.
Yeah they did. They picked Sammy. Fail.

If we saw the results over time, you would see that both AMD and Nvidia are failing because TSMC + Samsung cannot supply the market with GPUs.
Sammy can't craft more than a couple wafers.. miniscule compared to TSMC.

AMD has almost all the 5nm to themselves and TSMC's largest customer by wafer output @ 5nm. First Come, First Serve. Nvida gets little leftover scraps.

Agreed.

I don't see what is so impressive. Sure they caught up to Nvidia in Ras performance and finally bringing competition back. But the 3080 is the better value still with the extra features. Remember Nvidia is bringing their own version of SAM in the near future. More and more modern AAA are having RT and DLSS in them. 6800xt is a great card but no Nvidia killer like some people trying to make it out to be.

I don't see what is so impressive. Sure they caught up to Nvidia in Ras performance and finally bringing competition back. But the 3080 is the better value still with the extra features. Remember Nvidia is bringing their own version of SAM in the near future. More and more modern AAA are having RT and DLSS in them. 6800xt is a great card but no Nvidia killer like some people trying to make it out to be.
You'll find most people don't care about ray tracing or DLSS.

The limited number of games with DLSS and/or RT support is why. I'm glad that we have choices of RT means something to you, but as of now it's a future problem for future hardware.

https://hardforum.com/threads/nvidia-brings-dlss-support-to-four-new-games.2003729/#post-1044812364

Having 2080ti RT performance is either good enough going fwd that turing will be useful, or isn't and all early adopters got to play the limited titles that have come out already.

In addition, nvidia SAM will require the same bios/ driver support that AMD requires, they've already said as much. So any future support will be reliant on intel, AMD and MB mfgs.

Who thought it was a Nvidia killer? Hell a month ago I said they would be lucky to compete with the 3070. Considering it basically comes down to the games you play makes it pretty good. Not the best. Far from perfect but not bad.

As it stands right now the here at the rim of Hoth's frozen asshole in the Kanukistanian wilderness the 6800xt is 150-250 dollars cheaper than any 3080 that isn't the FE, it's a hundred bucks and some change cheaper than the FE.

None of these cards can be had, of course, but if AMD actually supplies these cards I can tell you where my money will go even though I would buy the 3080 given a choice and a reasonable price difference.

Stolen from VCZ.

4Gamer
AdrenalineAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800, [Video]
Benchmark
BPS Customs
Bitwit
ComptoirHardwareAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
ComputerBase
Coreteks
CowcotlandAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
Eteknix
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800 [Video], SAM Review
GamerMeld
GamersNexus
GDM
Gear SeekersAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
Geeknetic
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
Greg Salazar
Golem
Guru3DAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
ForbesAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
HardwareBattleAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
HardwareCanucks
HardwareLuxx
HardwareUnboxed
HardwareUpgrade
Hot Hardware
Hexus
igor’sLABAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800, [Video]
JayzTwoCentsAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
Joker Productions
KitGuru
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800, [Video]
Lab501AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
LegitReviewsAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
Level1Techs
LinusTechTips
Lowyat
Noticias3DAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
MyNavi
Optimum TechAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
Overclock3D
Paul’s Hardware
PC Games Hardware
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800, [Video]
PCWatch
PCWorldAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
PhoronixAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
PRO Hi-TechAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
SweClockers
Tech Critter
TechPowerUP
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800, SAM Review
Tech YES City
Tek.noAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
The Verge
TweakTown
Tom’s Hardware
UNIKO’s hardware
WASD
WccftechAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800, [Video]
XFastest TaiwanAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800

AdoredTV just put one out : https://adoredtv.com/amd-rx-6000-analysis-snatching-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory/

Are we really talking about which of the total shit show launches was the shit showiest? This all seems like conjecture based on rumors to me. "AMD cares more because I heard they put out more stock" what?? The cards were sold out in seconds. Can anyone get a 5950? A 3080? A 6800? I read some veiled rumors about AMD pumping out stock daily but I have yet to see real numbers from either company only gossip. Performance wise, good going AMD, we have a contest.

Last edited:
Really nice showing by AMD. As I suspected, the 3080 is still the best choice for me, but for a lot of people who won't care about RT, the 6800 XT looks like a really solid alternative.

At 4K on current games, it looks like Nvidia's higher memory bandwidth is beneficial whereas the extra VRAM on the AMD cards isn't making a difference.

I am glad AMD was not lying in their press release. RX6800XT is kicking ass and they did not even need SAM to do it like some people were suggesting. Basic 6800 however, I can't hell but feel it is overpriced. I mean, it does offer 2080 Ti performance at half the price and would pretty much triple the performance that my GTX1080 has, but so would 3070 and do it 80 bucks cheaper. Yes AMD has 16gb which makes it more future proof but as of right now I can't help but to think that 3070 is a better deal. And as an added bonus you get more mature Raytracing too. RX6800XT really does mess the pricing model of Nvidia on the very high end. However I think vanilla RX6800 is not putting enough pressure on the lower high end market.

If AMD would release a 12gb (or even 8gb) version for cheaper then that would make things really interesting.
Have you actually read the reviews?

Radeon RX 6800 is faster than the GeForce RTX 3070.

In fact it wasn't even close.

Radeon RX 6700 XT is going to be AMD's intended competitor to the GeForce RTX 3070.

I look forward to seeing what is available for purchase in April/May. But there is a very good chance that my rig will be 100% AMD for the first time in an exceptionally long time.

...and AMD is launching DirectML Super Resolution as a direct competitor to DLSS in the near future

I'm not sure I see too many people (outside of AMD shills/fanboys) saying it's an nVidia killer - it is competitive though in raster performance, which is impressive given it's been how many years since AMD was competitive *at all*? Overall, it's good for the industry. I want to see AMD succeed - hell, they certainly did with Ryzen and especially Zen 3. Impressive for one company to go head-to-head with the two other major players in CPU/GPU manufacture.

...and AMD is launching DirectML Super Resolution as a direct competitor to DLSS in the near future
DirectML is a competitor to CUDA, not DLSS, so using DirectML they can create their product to compete with DLSS. But DirectML itself isn't a competitor to DLSS.

Just clarifying this because I see too many people misunderstanding what DirectML actually is, though I do look forward to seeing what AMD can bring to the table with it and what NVidia can as well as DirectML is a part of the DX12 library. I am also interested in seeing how DLSS 3.0 shapes up, lots of rumors on it but nothing concrete as of yet.

Last edited:
That's kind of what Adored does.

Well, that and piss and moan about how tough being a... whatever... is...

OH! He quits too! That lad loves to quit when he gets all bent out of shape over... whatever...
To be honest, before clicking, I thought it was going to be about how AMD could have the entire market to itself, but failed because of supply.

I don't anticipated that it's going to be a whinny little twerp complaining about $50.

Last edited:
Have you actually read the reviews?

Radeon RX 6800 is faster than the GeForce RTX 3070.

In fact it wasn't even close.

Radeon RX 6700 XT is going to be AMD's intended competitor to the GeForce RTX 3070.

Save for a few scenarios, typically with ray tracing that is true. Although the 6800 is $80 more. So it isn't exactly 1 to 1, you pay more and get more performance.

DirectML is a competitor to CUDA, not DLSS, so using DirectML they can create their product to compete with DLSS. But DirectML itself isn't a competitor to DLSS.
The feature itself is called "Super Resolution".

Save for a few scenarios, typically with ray tracing that is true. Although the 6800 is $80 more. So it isn't exactly 1 to 1, you pay more and get more performance.
"you pay more and get more performance"

... make sense to me!

Does the 6000 series have Explicit Multi-GPU support? I just found out about this. Do other games just not support it because I would think that people would be talking about it.

Last edited:
Does the 6000 series have Explicit Multi-GPU support? I just found out about this. Do other games just not support it because I would think that people would be talking it.
Technically yes, it was one of the initial features of DX12, it always has been in DX12 it was just far more complicated, with DX12U they have refined it a great deal and it is much better than it was previously, also with PCIE3.0 the overhead on the slot generally outweighed any gains you could get but with PCIE 4.0 and the upcoming 5.0 this is no longer an issue. So this is a classic case of the protocols exceeding what the hardware of the time was capable of.

So any DX12 game can be made to support it, and NVidia has stated that they are killing off SLI support for titles in favor of this approach going forward, it's just something that the games have to be developed towards taking advantage of. I am hoping that more titles start using it because getting this out in the wild is a precursor step for consumer MCM based GPU's.

I know these are Day 1 reviews, but did any reviewer attempt to flash 6800XT Firmware to 6800 (non-XT)? That could be a winner for me at that price point, and the 2 slot (not 2.5 slot) design. I havent seen it yet.

And not to go off-topic but I haven’t owned an AMD card since the 5870. I bought 2 and I remember that cross-fire was utter shit with those cards.

With that said, does AMD/Radeon do official drivers updates how Nvidia does it through the GeForce experience easily and as often?

As it stands right now the here at the rim of Hoth's frozen asshole in the Kanukistanian wilderness the 6800xt is 150-250 dollars cheaper than any 3080 that isn't the FE, it's a hundred bucks and some change cheaper than the FE.

None of these cards can be had, of course, but if AMD actually supplies these cards I can tell you where my money will go even though I would buy the 3080 given a choice and a reasonable price difference.
I agree with this 110%

I have a 3080 I lucked out on getting (FE, $699), but my main reason for not waiting was to use my 1440p IPS G-sync (only) 165hz monitor. If AMD had been like 25-30% faster on the 6800XT, I would have gone AMD & taken the gut punch & bought a freesync monitor. With them anywhere close, I'm sticking with Nvidia.

Wow, that's a great card! Indeed, this is a great time to be anyone not named Intel - awesome HW and SW showing up all over the place. Whether you like your computers stationary or portable, your ecosystems open or closed, you'll get far more capability today than you could 3 years ago. Exciting times!

(Unless you're Intel.)

I agree with this 110%

I have a 3080 I lucked out on getting (FE, $699), but my main reason for not waiting was to use my 1440p IPS G-sync (only) 165hz monitor. If AMD had been like 25-30% faster on the 6800XT, I would have gone AMD & taken the gut punch & bought a freesync monitor. With them anywhere close, I'm sticking with Nvidia.
I'm on the fence I could go either way, it will come down to actual availability in April/May and what games I am playing then. But I can say that AMD certainly put out a competitive product set I am pleased that there seems to be competition again.

Interesting. The cooler for the 6800XT seems to be better than the 3080 according to Guru3D.

I stopped following Adored... his whining started to get too tedious.
He used to be a big fanboy of AMD and would beat down constantly on Intel & nVidia, until some 'leak' from an insider at AMD turned out to be mostly BS, and when viewers complained he went off half-postal at them. He whined and complained about this until AMD pretty-much cut him off from all insider leaks and promo goodies... at which point I think he 'quit', came back, sort of quit again, and pretty much thereafter had nothing nice to say about anything AMD related from that point on.

From what I briefly glanced at, it appears he's upset that 'Big Navi' doesn't unthrone the 3090... the 6800XT wasn't intended too... that's the 6900XT's job, next month.

What else he's currently complaining about now? Not sure anyone's left who cares...

Last edited:
Interesting. The cooler for the 6800XT seems to be better than the 3080 according to Guru3D.

I love the look of the 30 series founders cards, though. I'll be waiting to see what becomes available at what price, but suddenly there might be options that didn't exist a couple of days ago.

Cool, glad to finally see Radeon competitive again in the high end graphics card market. Now if only we could just walk down to the store and get one on any given day. Ah well, the wait continues.

Back