Tek.noAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800
The Verge
TweakTown
Tom’s Hardware
UNIKO’s hardware
WASD
WccftechAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800, [Video]
XFastest TaiwanAMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, AMD Radeon RX 6800

My quick glance has 6800 XT a no-brainer buy over 3080 if you aren't running 4k or not running ray tracing. It is more complicated answer when 4k and ray tracing is benchmarked.

My quick glance has 6800 XT a no-brainer buy over 3080 if you aren't running 4k or not running ray tracing. It is more complicated answer when 4k and ray tracing is benchmarked.
At least we finally have competition. It'll be interesting to see a 3080 Super and/or TI. Hopefully this will force nvidia to stop sucking and actually start producing enough parts as well.

At least we finally have competition. It'll be interesting to see a 3080 Super and/or TI. Hopefully this will force nvidia to stop sucking and actually start producing enough parts as well.
meh, it is Samsung who is sucking and producing parts.

I foresee VRAM quantity helping to answer the 4K comparison if you're considering the future capability of the 6800XT

I foresee VRAM quantity helping to answer the 4K comparison if you're considering the future capability of the 6800XT
Looking at the benchmarks (LegitReviews right now, trying to avoid the YouTube "reviews") it looks like it starts out pretty far behind Nvidia cards, but catches up as the resolution improves, to the point where it is pretty brilliant at 4k.

That is interesting.

https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-radeon-rx-6800-review_223774/5

There are so many titles, and so many benchmarks, but I found those charts on LegitReviews interesting here.

At 1080p Ultra in FarCry 5 (the only game in they benchmark lineup I've actually played, so I skipped right to that one) the 6800xt actually falls behind a 2080 at 1080p, falls between a 2080ti and 3080 at 1440p, and falls between a 3080 and 3090 at 4k.

It seems to only climb in the ranks as the resolution goes up.

meh, it is Samsung who is sucking and producing parts.
nVidia picked em, nVidia launched, nVidia had all the decisions in their hand. Its nVidia who sucked at executing their launch and delivering product.

Of course some can't see the forest through the trees.

More than that, Nvidia could have chosen to launch greater quantities of slower parts based on yields and binning, but they decided to go straight for pretty high bins which has severely limited availability.

There are so many titles, and so many benchmarks, but I found those charts on LegitReviews interesting here.

At 1080p Ultra in FarCry 5 (the only game in they benchmark lineup I've actually played, so I skipped right to that one) the 6800xt actually falls behind a 2080 at 1080p, falls between a 2080ti and 3080 at 1440p, and falls between a 3080 and 3090 at 4k.

It seems to only climb in the ranks as the resolution goes up.
Depends on the game. In other games it's the exact opposite scenario.

More than that, Nvidia could have chosen to launch greater quantities of slower parts based on yields and binning, but they decided to go straight for pretty high bins which has severely limited availability.
That is what I said, nVidia made all the choices, yet some just can't fathom that they would be to blame.

Exciting to see. I'm really surprised the ray tracing isn't crappier than it is. It's not as good as nVidia, nowhere near in a lot of cases, but I was expecting piles of dung everywhere.

Seeing competition in high end graphics again is really exciting.

It seems very close with no RT or DLSS, falling behind in RT even without DLSS. Makes sense for a first gen attempt by AMD, glad to see the card is competitive. Next gen will be really interesting.

These cards look great and its great to see AMD compete again at the top of the charts and not just in the middle and lower middle.

The results at higher resolution has to owe a lot to the cache system. Navi 3 is going to be something super interesting. 5nm should allow them to increase the cache amounts. Seems to allow AMD to compete at much higher resolutions without having to break out exotic memory.
5nm allowed Apple to add a lot of cache on their M1... I bet the card after this one is going to be inane. (wonder if Nvidia will adopt the same idea into what they have after ampere or if that design may already be too far along.) If AMD say doubles the cache on Navi3... and Nvidia is already too far into Amperes follow up design to do something like it. The next round could be super exciting for team read. I think Navi was like Ryzen... it didn't beat the competition but it let them know they where back in the race. Navi2 to me is akin to Ryzen 2... where the race starts getting close with the teams trading wins. Navi3 could be AMD taking the lead with no doubt. I hope Navi3 is still on track for the end of '21. I'm going to skip Navi 2... my 5700XT is frankly more then good enough for another year.

6800XT looks good. Newer games when they release should do better on it at 4K. Nvidia's 320 bit bus and use of GDDR6X(3080) keeps it ahead at 4k form what I've seen so far. (tech power and tech spot) But just slightly. The 6800 looks good too. though there should've been a 8 gb version for $499 available too. Need to knock $10-20 of launch msrp.

Wait... this is just the 6800 XT there is also a 6900 XT coming too? LOL wow well done AMD.

I am not sure I would say RT performance is falling behind per say. All anyone has to test are games optimized for the then only option Nvidia. I am not suggesting AMD is going to overtake NV this round in terms of RT performance. However I do believe there is more to be had with some AMD specific optimizations. I hope AMD is working with developers of the stuff already on the market and not just new titles. Perhaps that is asking much though a lot of the early RT title developers are DEEP in Nvidias pockets.

Looking at a game like AC Valhalla... its obvious AMD optimizations make a huge difference. With that game being a clear AMD win where their older AC Odyssey goes the other way. I think over the next few months as some newer titles launch for the next gen consoles and for PC with DX12U support. Revisiting AMD v NV raytracing will be interesting. Frankly I don't much care about the previous NV crop of RT games... if I cared much about any of those titles and their RT I would probably already own a RTX card. The only one I have actually played was control... and frankly its not a game I found would hold any real replay value for me. I loved it but I'm not going back this weekend to play it again either. I think AMD RT getting added to WOW for instance will move far more cards then Control. If I'm going to shell out a premium specifically for a new thing like RT I am going to want game support on games with max replay (non frame sensitive competitive play) like MMOs.

Last edited:
TLDR:
The best GPU is the one that you can put in your cart & check out with. (y) :banghead:

Also: Found a 6800XT not being scalped:
1605721852488.png

If that were true, then there would be a ton of slower chips available like the 3070. But those aren't in stock either.

If that were true, then there would be a ton of slower chips available like the 3070. But those aren't in stock either.
More likely the number of transistors packed in to be competitive this generation is pushing Samsung's 8nm fab. Ampere is a huge die. AMDs isn't exactly small either to be fair.... everyone is going to benefit from the next step down.

At least these are available and not a "paper launch" like Nvidia 3000 series. Right guys?

At least these are available and not a "paper launch" like Nvidia 3000 series. Right guys?

I see forum members picking some up today, on launch day, so yes they are at least available. AFAIK no forum members got the new nVidia cards on launch day.

6800XT confirmed orderas selling briskly for $1500 on eBay

It's no longer Red vs Green, it's Us vs Supply

These are professional scalpers who are planning to camp to make sure they get the first ones and sell them,

Your assessment depends on them being right, that supply will be tight enough that their crazy markups sell.

They still may not. I don't think the scalpers know anything we don't. Don't assume they are right. They could be, but they could also be wrong.

What we do know thus far is:
1.) AMD has stated availability will be better than the 3xxx series Nvidia launch.
2.) Retailers have stated that initial supply on day 1 will be a little tight, but they will be getting resupplied continually, including a second shipment on day 1, so if you sodn't get one right away, doesn't mean there isn't one right behind it.

Edit: I got the availability date wrong.

Even so, my assessment still stands. Too early to tell if it is a better or similar situation compared to Nvidia.

Which IMO makes it less of a no-brainer, which is a good thing IMO, I don't want to see one card that is drastically better/cheaper than another, then it becomes a no-brainer and when choice is removed from the equation the consumer historically does not win. Of course the cost shown are vs. FE pricing, and as we've seen many AIB cards can be significantly more expensive than the FE pricing and then it becomes a bit more of a no-brainer, but we don't know what AMD's version of AIB cards will price at either.

Either way you slice it you'll get a good card for your money and you won't significantly be missing out or overpaying regardless of which direction you go... well unless you bought a 3090 card, then the 6900 card may make you curse in a few languages, but no reviews on those yet so who knows.

That said, I can happily await a day when I can make a choice on the brand of card, and then the SKU of card that I want that I feel is where I want to spend, and not just "buy what's available because if you think about it you'll not be able to buy it"

Damn it scalpers, finally have real competition that should driven prices down. Instead we have available prices 2x of what competition has allowed.

I am glad AMD was not lying in their press release. RX6800XT is kicking ass and they did not even need SAM to do it like some people were suggesting. Basic 6800 however, I can't hell but feel it is overpriced. I mean, it does offer 2080 Ti performance at half the price and would pretty much triple the performance that my GTX1080 has, but so would 3070 and do it 80 bucks cheaper. Yes AMD has 16gb which makes it more future proof but as of right now I can't help but to think that 3070 is a better deal. And as an added bonus you get more mature Raytracing too. RX6800XT really does mess the pricing model of Nvidia on the very high end. However I think vanilla RX6800 is not putting enough pressure on the lower high end market.

If AMD would release a 12gb (or even 8gb) version for cheaper then that would make things really interesting.

I see forum members picking some up today, on launch day, so yes they are at least available. AFAIK no forum members got the new nVidia cards on launch day.
That's not true, some people did. The real question will be how quickly do these come back in-stock, versus Ampere.

That's not true, some people did. The real question will be how quickly do these come back in-stock, versus Ampere.

At least Micro Center is on the record stating that while supply will be extremely limited on launch, they expect to be replenished quickly, with a second shipment arriving to most stores already later on on launch day, and a steady stream of shipments after that.

Who knows if it will wind up being true, but this sounds more hopeful than the Ampere launch.

I can't recall a single person grabbing a 3080 on launch day, but thats going back a bit and I don't think the polll shows date answered.

I am glad AMD was not lying in their press release. RX6800XT is kicking ass and they did not even need SAM to do it like some people were suggesting. Basic 6800 however, I can't hell but feel it is overpriced. I mean, it does offer 2080 Ti performance at half the price and would pretty much triple the performance that my GTX1080 has, but so would 3070 and do it 80 bucks cheaper. Yes AMD has 16gb which makes it more future proof but as of right now I can't help but to think that 3070 is a better deal. And as an added bonus you get more mature Raytracing too. RX6800XT really does mess the pricing model of Nvidia on the very high end. However I think vanilla RX6800 is not putting enough pressure on the lower high end market.

If AMD would release a 12gb (or even 8gb) version for cheaper then that would make things really interesting.
So the question is, is 8GB of extra ram worth an extra $80? I'd say yes.... but that is just me.

So the question is, is 8GB of extra ram worth an extra $80? I'd say yes.... but that is just me.

I'd like to see the 16gb in action. Push the memory requirements of both cards as hard as possible (in a game that can actually utilize over 8gb VRAM) and see where 3070 starts to hiccup and if/when it does then how much is the performance difference between them in that situation. 🤔

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
I'd like to see the 16gb in action. Push the memory requirements of both cards as hard as possible (in a game that can actually utilize over 8gb VRAM) and see where 3070 starts to hiccup and if/when it does then how much is the performance difference between them in that situation. 🤔
IIRC I think, the latest watchdogs can/will use > 8G ram at 1080p, although I dont' have the reviews infront of me.

Back