6800 Ultra - WHEN & WHERE can I get one?

Originally posted by Vagrant Zero

So Creed dont' insult our intelligence by saying you're completely unbiased because nobody is and there's nothing wrong with that. I should say that I respect Kyle and Brent [even though I don't much like the new previewing method] becuase they leave their preferances at the door while writing their reviews unlike that git from Hexus, I knew he was a flaming Ati-monkey before I hit the benchmarks.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, the only bias I have is that it has to be fast and look good. I don't give a shit if it's ati or nvidia. There are a lot of people that feel the same way. I have 3 ati cards in my rigs now because they were the best at the time.(well for the top dawg) and the others were bang for buck.

These are only video cards. Not football teams.

Ah but therein lies the bueaty of it all, we'll have conclusive R420 benches before the NV40 hits retail...unless you buy an Alienware today. :p
Sorry I dont buy overpriced computers.

ATI would be insane to not release the r420's specs before the 6800u's hit the shelves, so I'm sure that we'll see the launch of the r420 fairly soon. As stated earlier (and I've also heard this), the r420 should hit shelves within a week or two of the launch, and that'll be about the same time as the 6800u.

As for people that have already decided to buy the 6800u, it's your money and you can do whatever you want with it. In fact, I'm sure you'll be happy with the card, it definitely kicks ass. But considering the fact that the r420 reviews will be out before you can buy the 6800u, I'd imagine that you'll probably read them (even if just for shits n giggles), but who knows, they may change your mind.

I'm only worried about people that say "I'm buying the 6800u no matter what, and I won't even read anything about r420." That level of ignorance makes it sound as if they're deathly afraid that they may change their mind and violate their fanboyism. ;) I just can't imagine ever wanting to be uninformed about a $300-500 purchase.

I have a bias and I think I have made it quite clear, its not nvidia, its not ATI, its not Intel, and its not AMD, My bias is:

VALUE FOR MONEY

It always has been and always will be and I base every decision on it when im buying I need the best performance possible for my pound.

Originally posted by crazyspike
Is it really that bad here lately !!!!!!:(
Yes it is when you keep posting how unbiased you are, all it does is make it look like you are biased. We don't care.
Like I said, "Beating a dead horse"

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
Yes it is when you keep posting how unbiased you are, all it does is make it look like you are biased. We don't care.
Like I said, "Beating a dead horse"

Would you say I am biased then and what way would that be, personally I would really like to know from your opinion as all I have tried to do is drill through to people that niether is better, or is it that you are biased.

Personally I hate the word and I have used it because I hate the word fanboy more but Since I started posting here again ive noticed that you are forced to defend what you say with that very line as everyone is convinced you must be biased one way or the other which normally stems from them being biased themselves, because they are you cant be.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by crazyspike
Would you say I am biased then and what way would that be, personally I would really like to know from your opinion as all I have tried to do is drill through to people that niether is better, or is it that you are biased.
Like I said: I don't care.
I have noticed that alot of noobs posting ridiculous things without posting some sort of source for their rumors. If you post something stupid then I would hope you'd have to defend it :rolleyes:

Moving on now.....

Well at least I aint one of those noobs as I have never posted anything ridiculous without source, in fact I have been getting at them for doing that very same thing.

Nice community here, very, whats the word "friendly"

best value for money right now....

5900XT or 9800 Pro

9600xt and 5700u both suck for their price.

It will be nice in this next generation the cards will be more like the ti4200's, that used the same core, just slower and/or few pipes. Instead of taking an old crappy core like the GF2 or 8500 and selling it as a revamped lowend card.

If I had said when & where can I buy a 6800 before the previews then you could all tear me a new asshole.

But I saw the previews (benchmarks) and can CLEARLY see the 50%-300% improvement over the last generation, thats all I NEED TO KNOW.

Its not ignorance. I know enough about the product and I know AIT is going to have a similar card.

Its like telling someone to wait until the new Ferrari's come out, when he knows he wants a Lamborghini. (both high end = FAST) THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL ATI is going to be much better than Nvidia.

They were better last generation, but considering it was 8 pipes vs 4 pipe Nvidia did ok (even if they fudged some quality)

This will be a 16x1 vs 16x1 race.... and with that I'd bet that they are very similar.

Now for guys on the fence, or who like both ATI and Nv. Wait and compare both.

But I already know what I want. Just like I knew what I wanted with the GF256. GF2GTS, GF4ti4600, GF FX5900nu, and now 6800 (non ultra probably). (I missed 2 highend spots... GF3ti b/c software wasnt out to take adv of it yet, and GF 5800 b/c it sucked)

Originally posted by chrisf6969

But I already know what I want. Just like I knew what I wanted with the GF256. GF2GTS, GF4ti4600, GF FX5900nu, and now 6800 (non ultra probably). (I missed 2 highend spots... GF3ti b/c software wasnt out to take adv of it yet, and GF 5800 b/c it sucked)

There were a lot more high end spots that you missed. 8500? 9700 pro? 9800 pro?

Originally posted by MrHappyGoLucky
IF you didn't care, you wouldn't obsessively post on this thread. :rolleyes:
Hypothetically speaking was your brain replaced with a bean bag? Did you ever read the post? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT AN 6800ULTRA is?
For the love of god (or whatever deity you believe) read the post you quoted.:rolleyes: Noobs........

Just in case your synaptic response is too slow to comprehend this was the post your quoting:

quote:Originally posted by crazyspike

Like I said: I don't care.
I have noticed that alot of noobs posting ridiculous things without posting some sort of source for their rumors. If you post something stupid then I would hope you'd have to defend it

Moving on now.....

You Kool-Aid people scare me.

Originally posted by intercollector
There were a lot more high end spots that you missed. 8500? 9700 pro? 9800 pro?

I meant for Nvidia cards.

9700 Pro & 9800 Pro's are 2 highends that were nice & a possibility, but I was content with my Nv cards at the time, and the 8500 kinda sucked.

If anybody else would like help in preparing generic responses to this or other threads, allow me to make you some template.

All you have to do is fill in the xxx's with the apropros slathering bullshit of your choice.

Template 1:
Dude, I love xxx, I can't wait to buy the xxx and I don't care what xxx is doing because I'm just going to buy an xxx.

Template 2:
Dude, you should wait for xxx, so you can at least compare xxx to xxx equally. Besides last time I bought xxx it totally sucked.

Template 3:
Get out of my thread xxx fanboy, I told you I like xxx!

Template 4:
Fine, if you want to be an xxx about xxx, then be an xxx. See if I care.

There you have it, if you'd like it sound dumber, as many posts on this board often do feel free to substitute "marklar" instead.

I"m going to buy the marklar from marklar. Because I like my marklar better than your marklar, that makes my marklar much more marklar than your marklar. So marklar a marklar, ya marklar.

Now wasn't that dumber?

(marklar)

I'm personaly waiting for the R420 to come out, i doubt that this time ATI will beat out Nvidia, but they might. Nvidia spent 400,000,000.00 dollars and had over 1000 engineers working on the NV40 project. It's quite obvious that they want to be number one again. Maybe a few of you should take a break from post whoring and go check out the demos on the nvidia site, the new pixel shader is quite impresive.

do you think with new drivers , the delta-chrome will be able to take the performance crown again from the kyro series card?

....just thought I'd add a little oregano to this topic instead of the usual salt ~n~ peppah

Originally posted by chrisf6969

Its like telling someone to wait until the new Ferrari's come out, when he knows he wants a Lamborghini. (both high end = FAST) THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL ATI is going to be much better than Nvidia.

This will be a 16x1 vs 16x1 race.... and with that I'd bet that they are very similar.

The car reference is somewhat valid, however I'd change it to say "it's like telling someone to wait until the new Ferrari's come out, when he knows he wants a Lamborhini that will be out around the same time" ;)

Also, this isn't just a 16x1 vs. 16x1 battle, it's a 16x1@400 mhz vs. 16x1@600 mhz with faster RAM (info predicted, not verified, yet). I'd still say that the performance crown is up for grabs. IQ crown, who knows.

Well I beleive they may be taking a bit of time before they release the card after the reviews due to the Up Coming E3 2004 coming up in May.

I am sure Nvidia and ATI have big booths and Plans for releasing the cards and showing them off at the show.

If only I could get one of the Demo Comps Nvidia will be using, OH WAIT I am hehe with the 6800Ultra So I will not have to look around for a card plus I get the benifit of having Nvidia build the system to specs that the card better work well in hehe it is a show of the new Toy Comp, do not want to pull a microsoft and ...bluescreen hehe I will post pics of the comp when it comes and as you can see from my specs I need the upgrade hehe to slow on the CPU side and FSB and need a gig more ram hehe

oh and I have a question about my Nvidia 5950Ultra and I am new to the forums as you know from my rating hehe. The question is my Card is a Gainward Golden Sample it is supposed to have higher then average OverClocking ability, with the stock HSF setup what can I overclock it to safely?

Originally posted by MrHappyGoLucky

This does, however, give Nvidia time to hack their drivers in effert to decrease IQ and increase FPS. :p

jesus man their new drivers which were beta showed pretty damn nicely...Im pretty sure they wont fuck up again...but then again judgeing by your post you seem to forget that ATi is not fucking clean neither....you people are trying to hold something from a different bgen card on different gen drivers against newer gen shit...wait till they fuck up before opening your mouth, because if they end up doing drivers that dont have any cheats and yet pound the fuck outta the r420 alot of people are gonna forget what happned and switch....kinda like they did after the "quack" bullshit...people forgot and still forget..and changed to ATi

Might as well elaborate on this.

People who claim to be COMPLETELY and TOTALLY unbiased are COMPLETELY and TOTALLY full of shit. Everyone has a preferance, I prefer Nvidia for example [I like their drivers and support for OGL and hell...I'd like to have a matching pair with my 6800U and NF3250GB :D] and AMD [Green > ALL; intrestingly enough when I first began posting on these forums I preffered Intel heh]. Having a preferance is all fine and dandy and it DOESN'T make someone into a fanboy. My interpretation of a fanboy is someone who knows the 9600XT stomps on the 5700U and they STILL go out and buy the 5700U. Either that or they're in denile and refuse to believe the reviews they read OR they start grasping. Speaking of grasping, the NV40 and 9800XT have practically identical IQ at 4x/16x and anything above that takes too much of a performance hit to really justify [IMO]. Besides, I'd take 16x12/4xAA/16xAF over 10x7/8xAA/16xAF anyways [again, that's my preferance].

So Creed dont' insult our intelligence by saying you're completely unbiased because nobody is and there's nothing wrong with that. I should say that I respect Kyle and Brent [even though I don't much like the new previewing method] becuase they leave their preferances at the door while writing their reviews unlike that git from Hexus, I knew he was a flaming Ati-monkey before I hit the benchmarks.

Incidently, I think xbitlabs and Beyond3d had the best previews of the lot. Anandtech's felt incomplete [not enough benchs, no min FPS or commentary], HardOCP strayed from the norm too much, Tom's while pretty damned good seems a little off on the 9800XT marks [they were too low I think], Hexus's was complete asshit of course [wtf was that, moron didn't even bother commenting on the fact that 8x is FREAKING BROKEN and he didn't even bother to mention that half his tests were CPU limited for BOTH cards]. I'll read more reviews once I get back from work, but as it stands now, my favorite was xbitlabs 48 page mosnter.

Ouch. I'm a flaming ATI-monkey because I showed their 8AA mode was slow?

Showing a card being CPU limited is a perfectly valid thing to do. It happens sometimes and it actually shows GPU performance if you can wrap your head around what it's showing you. Deal with it. I'm not going to massage our bench suite to make the 6800U look good, I'm not NVIDIA PR.

Look at all the theoretical analysis if you want to see it shit all over the 9800XT. It does it time and time again, but I'm guessing you didn't even read those parts. Can you see the 4AA results on the graphs either? It hands the 9800XT its ass there plenty of times too.

It's not like I missed out the modes where it kicks ass.

I showed both sides of the AA story, sorry. The mode isn't "FREAKING BROKEN", it's just FREAKING SLOW. People will buy 6800's, think that it's the best thing since sliced bread (and they'd be right, it probably is) and want to crank it all up to the max. That's 8AA and it's slow. I'm duty bound to show our readers what the mode performs like, I can't just conveniently ignore it.

Cheers for the constructive criticism.

Rys

Back