6800 Ultra - WHEN & WHERE can I get one?

chrisf6969

[H]F Junkie
Yeah, I know ATI fanboy's you're waiting for R420 to compare it to.

Well, I'm not waiting.

I want a 6800 U now!! I actually might get the 128 non-ultra version.

When are they going to go on sale? The only place I can find is Alienware that has them in stock, but you have to buy a $2,000+ system to get one.

Anyone, know the date or a place to get one?

Oh God Damn it.....They don't go one sale til mid May. Then you'd be able to get one from Newegg, BB, Fry's, etc....

$2,000? I didn't think alienware sold their systems at such a low price.. I thought all of them were $3,000 plus? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by chrisf6969
Yeah, I know rational and intelligent individuals you're waiting for R420 to compare it to.

Well, I'm not waiting.

Yeah, I know ATI fanboy's you're waiting for R420 to compare it to.

You dont have to be a fanboy to wait to see how it compares to its competition. You just have to be a smart shopper.

Yeah, I know rational and intelligent individuals you're waiting for R420 to compare it to.

Well, I'm not waiting

Whether your rational, intelligent, or insane makes no difference on the actual retail release of the 6800. You could be completely stupid and irrational and just buy an alienware if you want.

Looks like you may not have a choice but to wait. Rumor says the 420 will be available a week after paper launch. Which is good, I hate to see all of the threads:

I bought a 6800 could've had the 420 :pissed:

Should've waited :mad:

I'm never buying Nvidia again :confused:

I just wonder why it takes so long for the nv40 to hit the streets?

Ewwww Aleinware! The only thing I'd get from them is maybe a notebook.....maybe.
Just because they say that they have them doesn't mean that your system will ship next week with one. You'll probably have to wait like all us to get one.

Buying the 6800 ultra is not a stupid thing.

Look at the facts:

The X800 Pro is not meant to compete with the 6800 ultra. It is the card being released in april. Don't expect the X800 XT to be around until about the middle of june, and by the looks of things, not even it will catch up with the 6800 ultra, if ATi repeats itself in how much performance increase their cards get over the core releases.

The 6800 Ultra will probably be the card to buy for the next year or 2. This isn't being stupid or a fanboy, it's called being smart. Sure, I will probably wait and see what ATi has to offer, but I'm fairly confident the 6800 ultra will prevail and will end up getting that in the end.

Originally posted by fallguy
You dont have to be a fanboy to wait to see how it compares to its competition. You just have to be a smart shopper.

I said I didnt want to hear your shit ATI fanboys! (or does your ATI videocard not produce accurate 2d display quality for you to read. ) j/k lol

I guess I should have mentioned I'm an Nvidia fanboy! :) and I dont need to wait to see what ATI does. (I want a 50-300% improvement from Nv)

I know its going to be a similar speed. It wont be much better or much worse. So Im sticking with Nvidia, which has always had better drivers. ATI had a great product last generation and has finally matured on getting better drivers out faster. However, I still prefer Nvidia. Not saying ATI is a one trick pony, just saying Nvidia wont stumble twice in a row. I can see from the 50-300% improvement that I want one. If any other computer component could increase even 50% in one generation we would all have SUPER SUPER Computers. CPU & DRAM often only have 1-10% improvements at a time, closer to 2-3%!

SO ZIP YOUR PIE-HOLES!! go crap your pants... not my threads.

I bet if you tried getting one from Alienware they would say it will be there next month or so. I bet they are just the first to add them into their configure. But like most they will not be able to deliver them until they really get the parts to put in them. I would say by next week a lot of computer resellers will have the card listed and a / date it can be shipped.

Originally posted by creedAMD
....I hate to see all of the threads:

More like:
I bought a X800 now they release the XT?!?!:confused:

Could have bought a X800-XT!:mad:

FS: X800:eek:

:D
I wonder why it takes ATI so long to get out their "Ultra" Killer?

The 6800 Ultra will probably be the card to buy for the next year or 2. This isn't being stupid or a fanboy, it's called being smart.

It's actually called being a person with an opinion.

Originally posted by intercollector

Look at the facts:

The X800 Pro is not meant to compete with the 6800 ultra. It is the card being released in april. Don't expect the X800 XT to be around until about the middle of june, and by the looks of things, not even it will catch up with the 6800 ultra, if ATi repeats itself in how much performance increase their cards get over the core releases.

The 6800 Ultra will probably be the card to buy for the next year or 2. This isn't being stupid or a fanboy, it's called being smart. Sure, I will probably wait and see what ATi has to offer, but I'm fairly confident the 6800 ultra will prevail and will end up getting that in the end.
ig·no·rance ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gnr-ns)
n.
The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed

The first R420 reviews will probably be out before you can even buy a 6800. Looks like you'll have to wait ;)

Looks like you may not have a choice but to wait. Rumor says the 420 will be available a week after paper launch. Which is good, I hate to see all of the threads:

wow you should be the ATi PR man
:rolleyes:

SO ZIP YOUR PIE-HOLES!! go crap your pants... not my threads.

Spoken like a true Nvidiot fanboy!

How can you base your desicion to buy this card when it was a "PREVIEW". All tests you saw were run on an engineering sample card, which means things will change; for better or worse.
This does, however, give Nvidia time to hack their drivers in effert to decrease IQ and increase FPS. :p

Considering ATI had their core final over a month before Nvidia, you will most likely see the R420 XT on the retail shelf before a N40.

Originally posted by MrHappyGoLucky

Considering ATI had their core final over a month before Nvidia, you will most likely see the R420 XT on the retail shelf before a N40.

highly doubt that

alot of the developers cards are already done, and should be in stores within the next 2-3 weeks. maybe sooner

Patience... Wait for the R420 reviews. They'll probably be up before the 6800 hits the streets anyways.

Am I wrong, but isnt there a specific Framerate the eye cant detect?

I mean, if the human eye "caps" out at, say, 80FPS, and Card A{ti} does 300FPS and Card N{vidia} does 299, isnt it all just for a numbers pissing contest and not "truely" a performance gain?

Ejumakate me, remember Im the happy guy running a GF3 Non-Ti....

-=M=-

Originally posted by intercollector

The 6800 Ultra will probably be the card to buy for the next year or 2. This isn't being stupid or a fanboy, it's called being smart.

You make it sound like it's sure thing, like ATI couldn't make a better card than Nvidia because the 6800 is a great card. And yes unless you can afford to change video cards everytime the latest and greatest comes out it would be stupid and being a fanboy not to wait, that is not smart and or your filthy rich and you get a hard-on by spending $ 500.00.

Either way smart people will not risk the cash for a few measily weeks.

6800 ultra, card for the next year or 2, LOL, that's royal.

Originally posted by M3ltd0Vvn
Am I wrong, but isnt there a specific Framerate the eye cant detect?
-=M=-

nonononononnonoonno.....don't drag the FPS debate in here....that's like opening Pandora's Box without a Fisher.

Originally posted by The Cleaner
6800 ultra, card for the next year or 2, LOL, that's royal.

Not really buddy, the Unreal3 engine runs on the NV40 with 'decent FPS'. Does that mean I intend to hang on to my NV40 [should it indeed go shooty shooty on the R420] for 2 years.....uhno. :D

Originally posted by Bad_Boy
wow you should be the ATi PR man

Come on badboy, you should know me by now, I want the best. Because I can have the best. I could give a shit less what the name is on the card. Is it only Ati PR men only that have the brains enough to wait before both cards are out before buying?(Like you have a choice..) Nope. Go troll some one else, it's called brains, the only thing that the 6800u has shown me is that I am going to upgrade this generation. Which one I will upgrade to is still to be decided, as it should be to all. Not rocket science here, kid.

my god... look at the shit flinging in here. Amazing, Ati guys... just because you had your year or so of happyness... I wouldn't get used to it. nvidia guys that don't really want to change over, I have no doubt that you (myself included) will have to worry about it.

just had to get my fling in... continue.

Come on badboy, you should know me by now, I want the best. Because I can have the best. I could give a shit less what the name is on the card.

No.

Come on badboy, you should know me by now, I want the best. Because I can have the best. I could give a shit less what the name is on the card. Is it only Ati PR men only that have the brains enough to wait before both cards are out before buying?(Like you have a choice..) Nope. Go troll some one else, it's called brains, the only thing that the 6800u has shown me is that I am going to upgrade this generation. Which one I will upgrade to is still to be decided, as it should be to all. Not rocket science here, kid.

you act like i told you to buy the 6800 as soon as it comes out. you should know me well enought that i also want the best, and that ill be waiting till june to find out what the best will be.

and ill leave it at that

Originally posted by Bad_Boy
you act like i told you to buy the 6800 as soon as it comes out. you should know me well enought that i also want the best, and that ill be waiting till june to find out what the best will be.

and ill leave it at that

Now you are making lower myself to explain shit on your level.

You said I should be an Ati PR man because I didn't want to see threads about how people should have waited.

Even if the tables were turned (ati paper launched first) I would still think it would be smarter to wait.

How does that make me an Ati PR Guy? I'm an established architect. Not a marketer. Lol.

Originally posted by Vagrant Zero
No.

Might as well elaborate on this.

People who claim to be COMPLETELY and TOTALLY unbiased are COMPLETELY and TOTALLY full of shit. Everyone has a preferance, I prefer Nvidia for example [I like their drivers and support for OGL and hell...I'd like to have a matching pair with my 6800U and NF3250GB :D] and AMD [Green > ALL; intrestingly enough when I first began posting on these forums I preffered Intel heh]. Having a preferance is all fine and dandy and it DOESN'T make someone into a fanboy. My interpretation of a fanboy is someone who knows the 9600XT stomps on the 5700U and they STILL go out and buy the 5700U. Either that or they're in denile and refuse to believe the reviews they read OR they start grasping. Speaking of grasping, the NV40 and 9800XT have practically identical IQ at 4x/16x and anything above that takes too much of a performance hit to really justify [IMO]. Besides, I'd take 16x12/4xAA/16xAF over 10x7/8xAA/16xAF anyways [again, that's my preferance].

So Creed dont' insult our intelligence by saying you're completely unbiased because nobody is and there's nothing wrong with that. I should say that I respect Kyle and Brent [even though I don't much like the new previewing method] becuase they leave their preferances at the door while writing their reviews unlike that git from Hexus, I knew he was a flaming Ati-monkey before I hit the benchmarks.

Incidently, I think xbitlabs and Beyond3d had the best previews of the lot. Anandtech's felt incomplete [not enough benchs, no min FPS or commentary], HardOCP strayed from the norm too much, Tom's while pretty damned good seems a little off on the 9800XT marks [they were too low I think], Hexus's was complete asshit of course [wtf was that, moron didn't even bother commenting on the fact that 8x is FREAKING BROKEN and he didn't even bother to mention that half his tests were CPU limited for BOTH cards]. I'll read more reviews once I get back from work, but as it stands now, my favorite was xbitlabs 48 page mosnter.

Sure buy it now, be like the guys that bought the 5800 and didnt stop to wait and compare to see what was the better product at the time...

Originally posted by MrHappyGoLucky
How can you base your desicion to buy this card when it was a "PREVIEW". All tests you saw were run on an engineering sample card, which means things will change; for better or worse.
Did you even read the previews?

In the second picture above you can see that our card is using the NV40-A1 core, which is the first revision core that NVIDIA went into production with. This alone is a good sign that NV40 has been done "right."
[H]ard Preview
Engineering samples where given out to Devs and they where clocked at around 475mhz
Hell I want to wait to see where the dust settles (in two months :rolleyes: ) but all of these fanboys are really getting to me.

Originally posted by The Titan
Sure buy it now, be like the guys that bought the 5800 and didnt stop to wait and compare to see what was the better product at the time...

Ah but therein lies the bueaty of it all, we'll have conclusive R420 benches before the NV40 hits retail...unless you buy an Alienware today. :p

Back