6800 Ulta + Shuttle SB75S = ?

Dan UCF

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to know if you guys think a 6800 will do the two following things:
1. Actually fit inside a Shuttle SB75S, and
2. Actually run off the 250 watt PSU thats in there.

If not I might have a 6800 Ultra to trade for an x800 Pro and $50

1. if you get a 1 slot ultra like the ASUS (which is the only one i know of right now(
2. doubtful, but it may work.

you can most likely get a GT in there tho.

ARE YOU NUTS? get a fire extinguisher if you try that.

The 6800 power req. call for 480Watt PSU and the heat and it could double as a space heater after that too....

I highly doubt it will work. Head over to sfftech.com and visit their forums. There you will find dozens of threads devoted to the issues Shuttles have with space, ram, video cards, etc. You will also find many threads about the troubles many Shuttles were having with the 9700 type cards.

The more I think of it, the less likely it seems that the Ultra would be appropriately powered by the 250w psu. I know some people have opted to hardwire a high power psu to the Shuttle, but they have it in an external arrangement (for obvious space reasons).

Good luck though and if you get the Ultra to work, let us know.

phas3d

I have heard of good things from these shuttle cases but it is a lot like running up stairs when you got to crap really bad....you might make it....then again....well you figure it out.....A recipe for disaster can only make a disaster right?

I'll probably end up trying to get a 6800 GT, or wating for an x800 pro deal.

Gruntled Employee said:
I have heard of good things from these shuttle cases but it is a lot like running up stairs when you got to crap really bad....you might make it....then again....well you figure it out.....A recipe for disaster can only make a disaster right?
That is disgusting lol.

Scott

rayg,
Im assuming since you say that it will woork fine that you have one? Can you post pics? I would like to see how the 6800 ultra looks in the shuttle case.

Also, as I am sure you are aware, many times when a psu is stressed with too much wattage, it will degrade over time making it worthless.

I still say the psu won't be able to handle the load of a 6800 ultra.

phas3d

When the 6800U first came out, a guy posted at nvnews that he was running a 6800U just fine in his Biostar 200T. And that was with the stock 200W power supply. A 6800U really doesn't use much more than a 5950U, and most of the SFF power supplies are very good quality.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27394

One thing you have to realize is that the 200T has the AGP slot on the inside, so dual slot cards fit. The shuttles have the AGP slot on the outside, so you'd either need a single slot 6800U, or you'll have to do a little modding. The 6800GT/x800Pro is a perfect match for a shuttle. Single slot, single molex, lower power usage.

<offtopic>
Also, didn't nVidia state over a month ago that the 6800U would work fine with a 350W supply?
</offtopic>

Good point JBark. I forgot about the dual slot nature of the 6800. I have seen the 5900 series cards modded, so there is plenty of resources out there, Im sure, to assist someone in modding the 6800 ultra.

Shuttle has the Zen shuttle which is a modest little number with an external psu. I really think an external solution is needed with teh 6800 ultra. Only time will tell, but Id bet my clipped fingernails that 200 or 250 watts (ACHME or Enhance or whatever Shuttle is using now) will not be adequate.

phas3d

Gruntled Employee said:
The 6800 power req. call for 480Watt PSU and the heat and it could double as a space heater after that too....

that doesnt mean jack....

for example: both AMD and Intel say thay their modern day chips need at least a 300W P/S in order to run stable but yet my P4 2.8C runs fine at 3.4Ghz all day long with the 250W P/S thats in my SB75G2.

oh, and did I mention that my 250W P/S also powers a 9800 Pro thats running at 425/740?

Just an update, I got my 6800GT yesterday, and it's working fine in my SN45G with the stock 200W supply. Played a bunch of FarCry, and it worked awesome. Default score on 3DMark03 of 10378. Voltages are all fine, even when running RTHDRIBL and Prime95 at the same time.
12V: 11.9
5V: 4.99
3.3V: 3.32

The 12V is a tad low, but it doesn't fluctuate at all between idle and load. GPU temps under RTHDRIBL were 81C with the case cover off, and 88C with the cover on. Haven't tried OCing yet, but I may bump it up to Ultra speeds this weekend. Though it's so damn fast stock, I don't know if it's really worth it.

Back