6800 in a 2X AGP slot

well why you would waste a card that costs that much in a board that old which means the cpu and everything about it is going to bottleneck the performace of the card but whatever i guess .. it's going to take a big hit

It MAY work, but for the money he'll spend (probably 300-450$), he could get around an Athlon 2600, a mobo, and an ATI 9700 or 9800 pro. Might have a little left over to go towards 512mb of ram if he's a good buyer.
The overall upgrade will be a better performance boost than just a top video card in an old system.

Monkey34 said:
It MAY work, but for the money he'll spend (probably 300-450$), he could get around an Athlon 2600, a mobo, and an ATI 9700 or 9800 pro. Might have a little left over to go towards 512mb of ram if he's a good buyer.
The overall upgrade will be a better performance boost than just a top video card in an old system.

Damn straight and if he sinto overclocking he could get a mobile processor too.

it wont fit and the voltage will be wrong look at the keying on the 2x slot and then look at an 4x-8x one the key is more to the back of the slot on the 4/8x

if you place that 6800 in that slot you will fry it no kidding, the voltage on a 2x will be to high for the card and I promise you that there will be sparks, plz don't do it. i warned you.

Elios said:
it wont fit and the voltage will be wrong look at the keying on the 2x slot and then look at an 4x-8x one the key is more to the back of the slot on the 4/8x
quoted for truth

The[H]uman said:
well why you would waste a card that costs that much in a board that old which means the cpu and everything about it is going to bottleneck the performace of the card but whatever i guess .. it's going to take a big hit

::Noods::
Yea this guy beat me to it. I mobo using 2x cant possibly have a good enough cpu in it and chances are its probably using some slow ass 100mhz sdram

What exactly are the other specs of the system? I am curious on what he was thinking about putting this high end card in.

I had a Ti4600 that was stuffed in an AGP1 slot for the longest time without a hiccup, but meh, I wouldn't try your luck.

drewb99 said:
I had a Ti4600 that was stuffed in an AGP1 slot for the longest time without a hiccup, but meh, I wouldn't try your luck.

A motherboard with only a 2x AGP must really suck, even my 1600+ eMachine has a 4x AGP, and they are notorius for not including one.

Back