6800 GT question

planetary

[H]ard|Gawd
Why is it that people prefer the BFG 6800 GT over other brands of 6800 GT's? I need to order a 6800 GT, so I am curious.

i bought the BFG because that is what was in stock. if i had found a PNY first i probably would have bought it.

BFG:
Lifetime warranty
Great support
Factory overclocked
Arctic Silver 5
American
Same price

i doubt the BFG cards themselves are actually manufactured in the US.

they probably arent but at least the profits go to an american company who employs americans

And this is coming from a kid who doesn't even own a BFG... I own a ::gasp:: PNY. Though if I could find a BFG 6800GT for $280, I would have bought it. Do they cards really say made in China? I could have sworn somewhere I heard they were made in the US. How about the packaging process and crap?

i wouldn't doubt they are packaged in the US, but as far as i know all of the 6800 cards are being manufactured by the same company and then rebadged.

my BFG says "Made in China" as well.

the warranty is a nice touch though.

yeah they pretty much summed it all up for me too, the warranty and factory OC was my main reasons for purchasing it

I think the whole "factory overclock" thing is bs. If you cant raise the core of the gt 20-30 mhz, you are screwed. I have mine (PNY) running rock stable at 440. Mem 1.20. At this stage in the game, it doesnt matter who made it--they are all the same, just different stickers.

oh and BTW, if your 400 dollar card fails and you cant get a replacement, then you dont know how to do buisiness or talk to people on the phone. If PNY stopped producing 6800 right now, and my card dies tomorrow, I can guarentee you I can get a 400 dollar credit or a new card. This warentee thing is for people who just dont want to talk to people.

Just call them up, and it will happen.

you wanna bet? all you have to do is talk to the right people. If you talk to little minions, then yes, you are screwed. However, if you have decent social skills, then you can easily get a replacement or credit for a new card. End of story.

JKA Represent said:
you wanna bet? all you have to do is talk to the right people. If you talk to little minions, then yes, you are screwed. However, if you have decent social skills, then you can easily get a replacement or credit for a new card. End of story.

why put youself through the hassle of that when u can just buy from a company that will sort you out with the minimum of fuss? And social skills/business sense has nothing to do with it, its a matter of making life easy for yourself.

The fact is that if u only have a 1 year warranty then they dont HAVE to do anything for you. But if you have a 3 year warranty then they are obliged to help.

yes it may be easier to get a replacement from BFG, however, that wasn't the issue. The issue was whether or not I COULD. Also, if the 6800 wasnt being made anymore (which will be a very long time), I could get credit for a new card.

my point is that it if you are of warranty then they wudnt have to give you a god damn thing. Even if you get someone other than a "minion" as you put it.

Anyway...when ur card dies i am sure you will have a great time on the phone trying to get a replacement for your out of warranty card.

JKA Represent said:

What makes you think that a video card company will give you a full reimbursement for something that is out of warranty? You can bet all that you want, but there is nothing binding them to have to give you shit, and to think they will just cough up $400 when they don't have to is wishful thinking.

I guess the Limited Lifetime warranty at the bottom of this page means as long as the card is in production?

I'm not sure what limited lifetime means, I didn't know PNY had any Lifetime warranty. I take back what I said.

http://www.pny.com/products/verto/geForce6/6800gt.asp

It seems that they will replace it. I still don't think you would get your $400 back, if the card is obsolete, they would probably give you something that performs as close as possible.

Shorty said:
BFG:
Lifetime warranty
Great support
Factory overclocked
Arctic Silver 5
American
Same price
That's why I went with the BFG over the PNY. Had another company's card been available I might have gone with it. BFG had the product out there and their's is a bit better than everyone else's. Also, BFG has a good reputation in many forums I visit, so I feel quite confident in my choice.

does anyone know if BFG products are available in the UK? I have looked at the usual suspect sites but i cant see anywhere...

iZero said:
That's why I went with the BFG over the PNY. Had another company's card been available I might have gone with it. BFG had the product out there and their's is a bit better than everyone else's. Also, BFG has a good reputation in many forums I visit, so I feel quite confident in my choice.
I went with Evga for my 6800GT (arriving tomorrow I hope) because of their program that allows you upgrade to the next level within 90 days of purchase for just the difference in price. Sounds pretty painless and saves you the trouble of having to sell your card if you want step it up a notch. ;)

joemama said:
I went with Evga for my 6800GT (arriving tomorrow I hope) because of their program that allows you upgrade to the next level within 90 days of purchase for just the difference in price. Sounds pretty painless and saves you the trouble of having to sell your card if you want step it up a notch. ;)

That sounds like a good idea, but do they go from what you paid for today for credit towards the price of the upgrade that is in 90 days from now?

Syphon Filter said:
does anyone know if BFG products are available in the UK? I have looked at the usual suspect sites but i cant see anywhere...

According to BFGs website, PCWorld/Dixons now sells BFG cards. I did find two BFG cards at www.pcworld.co.uk, but they were only the 5500 and 5200. I guess you'd have to contact them to see if they have plans to offer any 6800 level cards in the near future.

no offense but come on...PCWorld/Dixons...

they will be overpriced as they normally are :rolleyes: ...i was thinking online retailers

JKA Represent said:
oh and BTW, if your 400 dollar card fails and you cant get a replacement, then you dont know how to do buisiness or talk to people on the phone. If PNY stopped producing 6800 right now, and my card dies tomorrow, I can guarentee you I can get a 400 dollar credit or a new card. This warentee thing is for people who just dont want to talk to people.

Just call them up, and it will happen.

Tell that to my broken PNY ti4400 thats sitting in my closet. Their "lifetime warranty" sucks, their company sucks. I will never buy one of their products again.

creedAMD said:
That sounds like a good idea, but do they go from what you paid for today for credit towards the price of the upgrade that is in 90 days from now?
They give you credit for the original purchase price of the card you turn in. It's rare for a high end card to actually raise in price that much and even if the value of the GT falls you still get original price.

Went with the eVGA GF6800GT for the Step Up Program. You just have to step up within three months of buying the card. You also have to be sure to enroll in the program on their website as soon as you get the card. Just to be safe. They then give you the card's value at the time you bought it toward a newer card. So buy the GT now and when nVidia launches the refreshes in AGP version in a month or two, "step up" to it by paying the difference between 399.99 and the new card (499.99-599.99?).

Imagine going from a GF6800GT 256megger that overclocks to ultra levels to a GF6900Ultra with 512 megs. Yeah, baby, yeah, now that's what I'm talking about. Just hope that nVidia launches it by the end of October. ;) eVGA started the Step up to the GF6800Ultra and GT a month or two ago, so they certainly did not wait for mass availability for enabling the program for people who qualified to step up to the newer cards. Hopefully, they'll be as snappy this go-round.

Back