6800 GT and standby mode

Ghosthunter

Weaksauce
I read and heard that you should not put your system in standby mode because it turns your fan off on the 6800 card and will overheat.

So waht does everyone do? I like to pc on 24/7, but should i just leave a screensaver on?

Ghosthunter said:
I read and heard that you should not put your system in standby mode because it turns your fan off on the 6800 card and will overheat.

So waht does everyone do? I like to pc on 24/7, but should i just leave a screensaver on?

I don't think the fan off was a problem with the 6800 but I'm not sure. Why not just have the monitor and harddrives turn off after 60 minutes?

this was the problem with the orginal 5800's that has been fixed in nvidia's drivers. i havent heard of this problem for the 68's, but i am sure nvidia would not make the same mistake again.

thanks good to know

to play it safe i will just have my monitor turn off after 20 minutes

Don't use standby mode, it turns off the fan on 6800 cards too, not just fx series cards. Standby mode messes up a lot of stuff, it makes my soundcards digital output go haywire as well, it just wasn't designed well.

Instead of standby, use the "Turn off monitor" feature or the "Hibernate" feature, both in the same display panel as standby mode. Hibernate is similar to standby except it takes longer but is more healthy for your hardware.

Um, isn't the whole point of standby to turn off all the loud fans in your system? Are you telling me that the 6800's will actually get hot sitting there doing nothing (not even providing a video signal)?

Karmakaze said:
Um, isn't the whole point of standby to turn off all the loud fans in your system? Are you telling me that the 6800's will actually get hot sitting there doing nothing (not even providing a video signal)?

Of course it will get hot, because the chip will be on and running with a heatsink inside a plastic case with no fan running to blow out the heat..

tranCendenZ said:
Of course it will get hot, because the chip will be on and running with a heatsink inside a plastic case with no fan running to blow out the heat..

It shouldn't be on and running. Standby should shut down your CPU, power supply, HDDs, and GPU. All that should be running is the +5Vsb power from your PSU which is keeping your memory alive.

It's like having your system off, but you can get back to the desktop in 3 seconds.

bsoft said:
It shouldn't be on and running. Standby should shut down your CPU, power supply, HDDs, and GPU. All that should be running is the +5Vsb power from your PSU which is keeping your memory alive.

It's like having your system off, but you can get back to the desktop in 3 seconds.

You are talking as if it actually worked properly :)

has anybody tried contacting nvidia about this? i just use a blank screen saver and have my moniter turn off after 20 minutes. i keep my computer running for f@h purposes.

I haven't used standby with XP...I learned my lesson back in the 98se days. :eek: I just have my monitor shutdown after 15 minutes and everything else is 24/7.

Has anyone actually confirmed this is a problem by going into standby for awhile, then checking out temps when you come back? By standby I mean actually hit the sleep button on your PC or choose it from the shutdown menu and have S3/STR enabled in your bios, and of course blank screensavers or similiar hacks don't count.

I've rarely have trouble with standby in XP and my 9500 (ok, one in about 50 times I have to reboot because some app gets hung), and would hate to have to start shutting down just to keep this card happy (or rather I'd hate to explain to my wife that our new $400 card makes the computer more of a hassle for her..)

Karmakaze said:
Has anyone actually confirmed this is a problem by going into standby for awhile, then checking out temps when you come back?

Yes. Use hibernate mode or turn off monitor instead of standby.

I just put mine in standby for a couple mintues, touched the card while in standby and it's totally cool to the touch, and when i woke the machine up it was only 57C (it was 59C when i put it to sleep). What screen blanking mode are you guys using in your BIOS? DPMS (IIRC) is the one you want.

Back