6800/6900 Overclock Results

bl4c3y3

You go to features and make sure temp dependent vmin is marked on. If it isnt you go to safe mode Max 500mhz. Then go to power table and at right side second from bottom it says something with 800-800. Then change to Maybe 1200-1200. Then your Max vcore Will be 1.2v vs Stock 1.175v. And if you Enter 1250-1250 you vcore Will go to 1.250v And therefor Maybe some higher boost. You should Daily be able to do 1.250v. But wouldnt go higher Then that for Daily. At that voltage with Max 380w+15%pl im doing like 24500graphic score for Daily gaming and Can run games at 2900mhz boost clock.

bl4c3y3

You go to features and make sure temp dependent vmin is marked on. Then go to power table and at right side second from bottom it says something with 800-800. Then change to Maybe 1200-1200. Then your Max vcore Will be 1.2v vs Stock 1.175v. And therefor Maybe some higher boost. You should Daily be able to do 1.250v. But wouldnt go higher Then that for Daily. At that voltage with Max 380w+15%pl im doing like 24500graphic score for Daily gaming and Can run games at 2900mhz boost clock.
On FB on the Ryzen Overclocking and Benching page, I had to delete your post due to you posting a Firestrike score in a Timspy post and not providing a link. We do have a Firestrike post so post there.

On FB on the Ryzen Overclocking and Benching page, I had to delete your post due to you posting a Firestrike score in a Timspy post and not providing a link. We do have a Firestrike post so post there.
Hmm postet screenshots of the scores. And there was both timespy Extreme and firestrike Extreme. But was really happy with the results Got me to number 1 in the bench with 5800x and 6900xt 😁 of cause not the firestrike cant do anything against almost 6ghz ln2 when i just run a x63 rgb lol 😂

Attachments

• 952CE379-C589-45FE-BDAB-0ED4F5718D1B.jpeg
    952CE379-C589-45FE-BDAB-0ED4F5718D1B.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 1
  • B1A07884-5A31-4590-BD11-77DB49B59A64.jpeg
    B1A07884-5A31-4590-BD11-77DB49B59A64.jpeg
    789.6 KB · Views: 1
Hmm postet screenshots of the scores. And there was both timespy Extreme and firestrike Extreme. But was really happy with the results Got me to number 1 in the bench with 5800x and 6900xt 😁 of cause not the firestrike cant do anything against almost 6ghz ln2 when i just run a x63 rgb lol 😂
The post was titled Official Timespy thread. There is a separate post for Firestrike and Timespy Extreme.

Your scores are great, we just need you to provide links to the runs on the FB Page.

Is your card on Air or watercooled? I also have a reference 6900XT(AMD variant). I have both no MPT and MPT runs in here. Check them out.
Reference air-cooled direct from AMD.
I've just got a slight undervolt and overclock. I did the easy back-side thermal pad mod to lower hotspot and junction temps a few degrees. Happy with the results and it runs nice and cool (for air-cooled).

I've just got a slight undervolt and overclock. I did the easy back-side thermal pad mod to lower hotspot and junction temps a few degrees. Happy with the results and it runs nice and cool (for air-cooled).
I'll update my post(#373) but I can't guarantee the first post will be updated. Sorry about that.

bl4c3y3

You go to features and make sure temp dependent vmin is marked on. Then go to power table and at right side second from bottom it says something with 800-800. Then change to Maybe 1200-1200. Then your Max vcore Will be 1.2v vs Stock 1.175v. And therefor Maybe some higher boost. You should Daily be able to do 1.250v. But wouldnt go higher Then that for Daily. At that voltage with Max 380w+15%pl im doing like 24500graphic score for Daily gaming and Can run games at 2900mhz boost clock.
Great, thx, that does the trick !
I downloaded MPT v1.3.9 and played around with Power Limit (360-450W) and Vmin (1200-1300). It's actually good fun playing with 'frequency-powerlimit-voltage' to find the right balance :)
Not yet in 24500 territory, but I'm getting closer to Catsonar ;)

24382: 1237mV, min2403-max2847, VRAM 2140, MPT 400W +15% PL
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/27735673

Yes, I also think the reference AMD 6900XT is great: quality feel, looks good, cools well and very quiet. Actually, liked it so much, I delayed my plan to put a waterblock on it for 6 months :D
(To put things in perspective, I come from a Vega64 reference ...)

Great, thx, that does the trick !
I downloaded MPT v1.3.9 and played around with Power Limit (360-450W) and Vmin (1200-1300). It's actually good fun playing with 'frequency-powerlimit-voltage' to find the right balance :)
Not yet in 24500 territory, but I'm getting closer to Catsonar ;)

24382: 1237mV, min2403-max2847, VRAM 2140, MPT 400W +15% PL
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/27735673

Yes, I also think the reference AMD 6900XT is great: quality feel, looks good, cools well and very quiet. Actually, liked it so much, I delayed my plan to put a waterblock on it for 6 months :D
(To put things in perspective, I come from a Vega64 reference ...)
That is awesome man!!! And you are doing that at 64C. Mine was at 26C so your tuning is much better!! Well done!!

I don't have cold temp anymore here in TX so I'm kinda out of luck....maybe. I'll see, I'm actually selling my 3090 so I can get ready to get 7000 series come end of year.

That is awesome man!!! And you are doing that at 64C. Mine was at 26C so your tuning is much better!! Well done!!
Haha, thanks ! ... but I'm sure it had more to do with luck than with OC skill :D

And I might have used up all my luck that evening ... I've been trying many times but couldn't get any stable runs from around 2800MHz.
Although a temperature of 62° would suggest so, I'm not sure that my settings above were accurate (1237mV, min2403-max2847, VRAM 2140, MPT 400W +15% PL), because I cannot complete a benchmark run with these settings above max2800, and get a graphics scores around 24000. Strange, because at that evening, I have completed multiple scores between 24200-25400, so I had the feeling I was somewhat in control at that time :) ... now, it's more hit or miss, as soon as I set max2800, most runs just fail.

I decided to rule out some potential causes for instability and I set my CPU and RAM back to default (3200CL14), and that's when my real problems started:
It started with a blue screen soon after Windows loaded, then blue screen during Windows loading, then blue screen on logon screen, then a 'restart after POST' boot-loop ... and I feared my CPU IMC, RAM or motherboard had been damaged.

This turned out to be one of my toughest trouble-shooting sessions (which at the same time means 'most fun' :D):
BIOS safe boot, clear CMOS, flash BIOS, change RAM, change CPU, change PSU, disconnected all data/power cables ... no effect, still boot-loop after POST
So, I took the motherboard out my case (without taking apart the water-cooling loop, which was an interesting challenge), and finally could play with some old 'in case of emergency' stuff I had laying around 🎉:
Heatsink of 3900X wraith cooler, Air Penetrator 180 fan, Radeon 5450, mechanical harddisk.
Boot-loop was gone, and I could install Windows from USB without any problem ...
Yeah, that made my realize that there was one thing that I didn't disconnect during my first tests, but had to remove to take the motherboard out of the case:
The M.2 SSD drive in slot 1 ... the middle motherboard screw is hidden below it, and to get to it, you need to take off the south bridge cover first, and then remove the M.2 slot cover (with the SSD attached to it with thermal tape).

In hindsight, it might have been obvious that it was just a 'boot to Windows' issue, but I could see the SSD fine in the BIOS (and could restore the BIOS from it) ... I have a dual boot Windows 10/11 (on the same drive) that has probably been corrupted, but I didn't know that that could lead to a boot-loop.

So long story short, I had my hardware and trouble shooting 'fix' (and fun, because nothing was broken).

I don't have cold temp anymore here in TX so I'm kinda out of luck....maybe. I'll see, I'm actually selling my 3090 so I can get ready to get 7000 series come end of year.
In Western Europe, indoor temperature is still around 20° ambient, so I might still have some time.
Now, let's see if my clean-installed system is ready for some benchmark runs to reach a 24400 graphics score :)

And yes, end of the year could be an exciting hardware time: new graphic cards and AM5 platform, let's hope for reasonable price and availability !

Attachments

• Annotation 2022-05-01 182251.png
    Annotation 2022-05-01 182251.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Annotation 2022-05-01 182337.png
    Annotation 2022-05-01 182337.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Haha, thanks ! ... but I'm sure it had more to do with luck than with OC skill :D

And I might have used up all my luck that evening ... I've been trying many times but couldn't get any stable runs from around 2800MHz.
Although a temperature of 62° would suggest so, I'm not sure that my settings above were accurate (1237mV, min2403-max2847, VRAM 2140, MPT 400W +15% PL), because I cannot complete a benchmark run with these settings above max2800, and get a graphics scores around 24000. Strange, because at that evening, I have completed multiple scores between 24200-25400, so I had the feeling I was somewhat in control at that time :) ... now, it's more hit or miss, as soon as I set max2800, most runs just fail.

I decided to rule out some potential causes for instability and I set my CPU and RAM back to default (3200CL14), and that's when my real problems started:
It started with a blue screen soon after Windows loaded, then blue screen during Windows loading, then blue screen on logon screen, then a 'restart after POST' boot-loop ... and I feared my CPU IMC, RAM or motherboard had been damaged.

This turned out to be one of my toughest trouble-shooting sessions (which at the same time means 'most fun' :D):
BIOS safe boot, clear CMOS, flash BIOS, change RAM, change CPU, change PSU, disconnected all data/power cables ... no effect, still boot-loop after POST
So, I took the motherboard out my case (without taking apart the water-cooling loop, which was an interesting challenge), and finally could play with some old 'in case of emergency' stuff I had laying around 🎉:
Heatsink of 3900X wraith cooler, Air Penetrator 180 fan, Radeon 5450, mechanical harddisk.
Boot-loop was gone, and I could install Windows from USB without any problem ...
Yeah, that made my realize that there was one thing that I didn't disconnect during my first tests, but had to remove to take the motherboard out of the case:
The M.2 SSD drive in slot 1 ... the middle motherboard screw is hidden below it, and to get to it, you need to take off the south bridge cover first, and then remove the M.2 slot cover (with the SSD attached to it with thermal tape).

In hindsight, it might have been obvious that it was just a 'boot to Windows' issue, but I could see the SSD fine in the BIOS (and could restore the BIOS from it) ... I have a dual boot Windows 10/11 (on the same drive) that has probably been corrupted, but I didn't know that that could lead to a boot-loop.

So long story short, I had my hardware and trouble shooting 'fix' (and fun, because nothing was broken).

In Western Europe, indoor temperature is still around 20° ambient, so I might still have some time.
Now, let's see if my clean-installed system is ready for some benchmark runs to reach a 24400 graphics score :)

And yes, end of the year could be an exciting hardware time: new graphic cards and AM5 platform, let's hope for reasonable price and availability !
20220427_155900.jpg

So I don't have JUST a reference anymore. I was able to snag a Red Devil Ultimate for $950 locally and couldn't pass on it. Going to get this waterblocked and see what she has. I'll see if I can use my portable AirCon to see if I can get temps down to. My buddy with the same card was able to push 25.9k out of his so let's see what I can do :). Reference 6900XT is going in my ITX
received_968821290485332.jpeg

Sold my 3090 Strix for $1850 so I lost no money in the 1.5yrs I had it lol.

Last edited:
Red Devil Ultimate
Cool ! The Ultimate version has a higher binned Navi 21 XTX, right ? (not the XTXH like in Sapphire Toxic Extreme from Nordskov)
Curious what it will do with its air-cooling :)

Now that you mention portable AirCon and temperature, I checked my temps, and they seem to be around 25°C higher then when I posted that last run:
general temp reaches 80-90°C while hotspot reaches +105°C o_O ... probably causing my runs to fail now, not sure what's going on, might have just been a cold night at the time :D

Cool ! The Ultimate version has a higher binned Navi 21 XTX, right ? (not the XTXH like in Sapphire Toxic Extreme from Nordskov)
Curious what it will do with its air-cooling :)

Now that you mention portable AirCon and temperature, I checked my temps, and they seem to be around 25°C higher then when I posted that last run:
general temp reaches 80-90°C while hotspot reaches +105°C o_O ... probably causing my runs to fail now, not sure what's going on, might have just been a cold night at the time :D
Red Devil Ultimate has the XTXH. The regular Red Devil has the XTX just like my Reference. AirCon will only go so far. We shall see. I've been lazy and haven't gotten around to testing it.

So who got a 6950XT? Currently staring at a link for a Blue Devil 6950XT but I'm probably not going to get it and wait for next gen.

I don't like it. It is literally an OC limiter removal model that goes to 500W. Thanks for the micro bump in RAM and a power unlock fuckers! At least when Nvidia screws us they unlock some more cores or a bus speed ala "super" or "ti". AMD learn how to properly screw us ya?
That said they are miles off Nvidia $$ so go red? :LOL:

I don't like it. It is literally an OC limiter removal model that goes to 500W. Thanks for the micro bump in RAM and a power unlock fuckers! At least when Nvidia screws us they unlock some more cores or a bus speed ala "super" or "ti". AMD learn how to properly screw us ya?
Seems pretty clear to me, 1080p go red, 4k go green and in between choose whatever floats your boat.

Sold my 3090. Have been happy with my 6900XTs. Next Gen I'll get AMD first then Nvidia later.

You did at some point right? Or never? I went through all 12 pages and saw your name from a while back. Wrote down scores and added them to a list. My old ROG Strix 3090(SOLD) I was able to get https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26811064
I recall commenting quite some time ago on how close the 6800/6900 scores were to my 3090 score, but I wasn’t making an entry myself - just posted my 3090’s score in comparison to show how similar they were. All good though! :D

Right. So I've been naughty and tweaked some more stuff after doing some reading, bringing us to this result:
6800extreme.PNG
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/75867005?

Same 6800xt except running at 1.25v and pulling a staggering 400-440w. In return it ran at maxed 2150mhz mem and 2800mhz core. The waterblock kept core temps at max in the low 60s (God bless watercooling), but hotspot temps did peak in the mid 90s. I guess next up is so see how far I can push the juice down. But yeah...man was that something.

Right. So I've been naughty and tweaked some more stuff after doing some reading, bringing us to this result:
View attachment 479153
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/75867005?

Same 6800xt except running at 1.25v and pulling a staggering 400-440w. In return it ran at maxed 2150mhz mem and 2800mhz core. The waterblock kept core temps at max in the low 60s (God bless watercooling), but hotspot temps did peak in the mid 90s. I guess next up is so see how far I can push the juice down. But yeah...man was that something.
Updated

View attachment 469411
So I don't have JUST a reference anymore. I was able to snag a Red Devil Ultimate for $950 locally and couldn't pass on it. Going to get this waterblocked and see what she has. I'll see if I can use my portable AirCon to see if I can get temps down to. My buddy with the same card was able to push 25.9k out of his so let's see what I can do :). Reference 6900XT is going in my ITXView attachment 469413
Sold my 3090 Strix for $1850 so I lost no money in the 1.5yrs I had it lol.
What case is this? And do you have some more pictures of it all? Looks very nice!

Seems pretty clear to me, 1080p go red, 4k go green and in between choose whatever floats your boat.
I'd say it's a toss up. Even the the marginal advantages at 4k and raytracing, some would say nV's significant price premium isn't worth it. And if we're following old school [H] tenets, both provide the se general experience (with nV better in the few RT titles where it matters, but again, you're gonna pay for it).

From experience, AMD has more overclocking headroom, especially comparing 6900xt to 3090. Navi 2 is generally the more "fun" card to own for us tweakers.

I'd say it's a toss up. Even the the marginal advantages at 4k and raytracing, some would say nV's significant price premium isn't worth it. And if we're following old school [H] tenets, both provide the se general experience (with nV better in the few RT titles where it matters, but again, you're gonna pay for it).

From experience, AMD has more overclocking headroom, especially comparing 6900xt to 3090. Navi 2 is generally the more "fun" card to own for us tweakers.
Better silicon is always more fun to play with.

The 3080 is 3% slower on average than the 6800xt at 1080p, and 7% faster at 4k. These aren't even the 2 top sku's of either nvidia or amd. So no, it's not a toss up; not even remotely. At 1080, AMD is the way to go; and at 4K nvidia pulls well enough ahead.
1655663605886.png
1655663628047.png

The 3080 is 3% slower on average than the 6800xt at 1080p, and 7% faster at 4k. These aren't even the 2 top sku's of either nvidia or amd. So no, it's not a toss up; not even remotely. At 1080, AMD is the way to go; and at 4K nvidia pulls well enough ahead.
View attachment 484505View attachment 484506
Curious to see the charts for 1440p. My guess is they'd be about on par. I like statistical charts like these. However, I'd be wondering if the stats hold true for something like 3070 vs 6700, 3060 vs 6600, etc. or if there would be a significant variation due to some variables the mid-level cards have or don't have. I'm not expecting that they would have exactly the same results, but that the trend would be very comparable. For example, in a case like where Nvidia's top beat AMD, but AMD has the better entry and mid-level (NOTE: this example is completely hypothetical, not intended to be a real-world statement)

Curious to see the charts for 1440p. My guess is they'd be about on par. I like statistical charts like these. However, I'd be wondering if the stats hold true for something like 3070 vs 6700, 3060 vs 6600, etc. or if there would be a significant variation due to some variables the mid-level cards have or don't have. I'm not expecting that they would have exactly the same results, but that the trend would be very comparable. For example, in a case like where Nvidia's top beat AMD, but AMD has the better entry and mid-level (NOTE: this example is completely hypothetical, not intended to be a real-world statement)
At 1440p the 3080 edges out the 6800xt by 1%; so as I previously stated earlier in this thread, at 1440p go with whatever floats your boat.
1655683137594.png

As for the 3070 vs 6700xt, the 3070 blows the 6700xt away at every resolution.
1655683191893.png
1655683203161.png
1655683214231.png

And as far as the 3060 vs the 6600xt, the 6700xt is 3% faster at 1080p and 2% slower at 1440p. So the entry level is a toss up.
1655683542357.png
1655683553303.png

Do keep in mind, these numbers are all from non-Ti variants, the number are likely slightly different and stronger for the Ti variants

Where do you get these? I think they're quite cool. Also there are a couple games I'd like to compare that aren't on the above lists.
Without trying to derail the topic too much, I currently own a 3060 (non-Ti), looking at upgrading, and unsure whether to go up to a 3070/80 (90 is overkill for me), wait for the 4000s, or switch to a current-gen or even next-gen AMD. These charts have helped sway me a bit toward the latter.

Where do you get these? I think they're quite cool. Also there are a couple games I'd like to compare that aren't on the above lists.
Without trying to derail the topic too much, I currently own a 3060 (non-Ti), looking at upgrading, and unsure whether to go up to a 3070/80 (90 is overkill for me), wait for the 4000s, or switch to a current-gen or even next-gen AMD. These charts have helped sway me a bit toward the latter.
These charts are from Techspot

View attachment 484505View attachment 484506
I'd still say it's a toss up all things considered. A base 3080 runs $50-100 more than a 6800 XT nowadays. Is much better RT performance and marginally better higher-resolution performance vs better overclockability (if this thread proves anything, it's that any small high-res advantage 3080 has is somewhat nullified by RDNA 2's superior clockability) and more VRAM worth $100?

At the top of the heap e.g. 3080 ti vs 6900xt, the waters are even more muddy considering the somewhat wider cost difference.

I'd still say it's a toss up all things considered. A base 3080 runs $50-100 more than a 6800 XT nowadays. Is much better RT performance and marginally better higher-resolution performance vs better overclockability (if this thread proves anything, it's that any small high-res advantage 3080 has is somewhat nullified by RDNA 2's superior clockability) and more VRAM worth $100?

At the top of the heap e.g. 3080 ti vs 6900xt, the waters are even more muddy considering the somewhat wider cost difference.
I wouldn't say it's that close of a toss up at all. Nvidia has a slew of other value adds that people seem to forget. Shadowplay, Gamestream, Freestyle, Ansel, RTX Voice, NVENC just to name some.

Back