6800/6900 Overclock Results

MPT works for my 6900XT (asus TUF 6900xt) i raised it to 375watts and the cooling is out of control! Hopefully a fcwb will come out for this gpu for god sakes!! ill edit post with pic of timespy run in a little

**EDIT**
This is a pic of my 100% stable Timespy pass (multi passes back to back) this is currently on air cooling due to no one making a block yet for this pcb FML! using MPT for my asus tuf 6900XT

stable MPT OC.png

wattman settings stable.png

Last edited:
Fastest clocks that will get through Timespy are 2725/2625 max/min. With those clocks, +15% power, and men set at 2150 my highest graphics score (with a 5800X) is 19262. Fastest I've had in game without a crash (so far) is 2785/2685.
That's with the case open and the fan going to 100% at 80C. I'll try with a closed case shortly.
19,200 isn't very far off the best I got with my nitro 6900xt with the best undervolt I could manage, which wasn't much.

I see people scoring over 20,000 and some of them are on 6800 xt cards. I don't get why we are seeing such a wide range of results here.

19,200 isn't very far off the best I got with my nitro 6900xt with the best undervolt I could manage, which wasn't much.

I see people scoring over 20,000 and some of them are on 6800 xt cards. I don't get why we are seeing such a wide range of results here.
From what I've seen any 6800XT scoring in the 20k range is an absolute golden sample AIB card with higher power limit. I'm not sure I'd recommend anyone 'count' on that. I was just breaking 19k under water with my reference 6800xt card, vs 20-21 depending on power limit with the 6900.

On the bright side: Compared to the 17k and 17.7k stock scores for the 6800XT and 6900XT, overclocking on these actually has real tangible value with 10-20% performance uplift. From what I've read on the 3000 series cards, they don't have nearly the headroom.

I'm not sure what voltage jfreund was running on the 6900xt when he got the 19262 score on the asrock 6900.

Regarding 'absolute golden sample AIB' 6800xt scoring 20K with a higher power limit. So I'm clear here, do you mean they are all using MPT to push that power limit up in order to score that high? Because if that is true, I wish they would state as much in their posts and they don't see to do so more often than not.

I'm not sure what voltage jfreund was running on the 6900xt when he got the 19262 score on the asrock 6900.

Regarding 'absolute golden sample AIB' 6800xt scoring 20K with a higher power limit. So I'm clear here, do you mean they are all using MPT to push that power limit up in order to score that high? Because if that is true, I wish they would state as much in their posts and they don't see to do so more often than not.
No I mean that some of the non reference boards like the Merc and Red Devil have higher power limits. So while a reference 6800xt tops at 293w and likely around 19k score, they’re working with 320-330w without needing mpt. Even then, luck of the draw on silicon quality.

Not gonna sell a card again and try for something else but knowing what I know now, I'd probably just get a 6800xt aib instead of a 6900xt aib. The latter just seems like a total ripoff at this point. The 6800xt is actually scoring better it seems in 3dmark and holds the record right now for amd cards.

Be a little easier pill to swallow too if you get poor silicon and can't overclock much with it when you paid 25% less money.

Stock 1175 mV.

Not gonna sell a card again and try for something else but knowing what I know now, I'd probably just get a 6800xt aib instead of a 6900xt aib. The latter just seems like a total ripoff at this point. The 6800xt is actually scoring better it seems in 3dmark and holds the record right now for amd cards.

Be a little easier pill to swallow too if you get poor silicon and can't overclock much with it when you paid 25% less money.
I think the 6900XT is always a dubious value proposition at MSRP, it's about 5% faster in rasterization clock for clock. I had a chance to get mine for MSRP vs the highly inflated 6800XT prices, so that made sense to me. The real potential is more power limit.

You should note that while 3080/3090 have a bigger % difference in compute they're kind of the same situation. A 3080 with the high power BIOS can roll past 3090's stuck at reference wattage.

Sorry, noob to this topic, I've only been paying casual attention to the thread. So I've heard AMD put a frequency hard-limit on the 6900XT in the BIOS/Firmware. Is this true and have people found a way around it?

Sorry, noob to this topic, I've only been paying casual attention to the thread. So I've heard AMD put a frequency hard-limit on the 6900XT in the BIOS/Firmware. Is this true and have people found a way around it?
The hard frequency limit on the 6900 XT is 3000mhz, you'll never bump against that. What you will bump against is the power limit for the board, which is about 300W on most models with the power slider maxed. Hitting peak speeds therefore requires undervolting to create power headroom while raising the boost clock without going too far to make it unstable. My 6800XT could do 2640@ 1035mV, my 6900XT 2650@1055mV; both under water. If you have the cooling for it, you can then raise this power limit with MPT linked on the second page of this thread and get up to ~370W on reference boards. Just be sure you have the cooling to calm the beast you're about to unleash.

One does not simply clock into Mordor...

Last edited:
6900 is 3.0Ghz 6800 is 2.8 Ghz theoretically and only if LN2 cooling is employed with current bios power limits.

Last edited:
Seems about right, you might find more graphics score (all we're comparing here) by setting boost to 2650mhz and finding what voltage doesn't crash. Your card is demonstrating power limiting (as evidenced by core clocks under 2.5ghz) and something like 1060-1070mV at 2600-2650 would likely pull that up. Still, you're not far from my 19.95 underwater with normal power limits.

I'm waiting on the water block so it keeps the junction temp lower, not too comfortable with 95 at this point.

agreed. im worried to go any higher myself, as if my J/T approaches 102c or more i get a CTD nearly everytime. Please god let some waterblocks appear for us non ref pcb owners

I wish prices were not so nuts right now, part of me wants to sell my Reference 6900XT and pick up a AIB model to mess with since I do not feel like doing bios mods to get more power. I could have bought a XFX Merc today at BB but no way am I paying $1499 for one. If they were still priced at $1099 like they were a few weeks ago, I would have done it. Instead for that price, I nabbed a 3090 FE...which sadly makes sense in comparison to some current 6900XT pricing.

I wish prices were not so nuts right now, part of me wants to sell my Reference 6900XT and pick up a AIB model to mess with since I do not feel like doing bios mods to get more power. I could have bought a XFX Merc today at BB but no way am I paying $1499 for one. If they were still priced at $1099 like they were a few weeks ago, I would have done it. Instead for that price, I nabbed a 3090 FE...which sadly makes sense in comparison to some current 6900XT pricing.

I don't think PPTs exactly modify bios and you can delete them or change them at any time. When I do PPTs the bios name doesn't change like when I flash my RX 570.

Which manufacture is your reference 6900XT?

I don't think PPTs exactly modify bios and you can delete them or change them at any time. When I do PPTs the bios name doesn't change like when I flash my RX 570.

It's a Sapphire.

Alphacool will design a block for current cards if you send the card to them, and give you a waterblock. Unfortunately, they are based in Europe, and only accept cards from there.

https://www.alphacool.com/send-it-and-get-one-cooler-for-free
yes, i saw that on their website and decided to email them anyways with a status update request to see if my 6900TUF would get a block and my response was just send us detailed pics of pcb as we may currently have a block that will work (doubt that) and there is no set time that a block could be in design for this card. This is something i always took for granted... ive always bought ref designed cards so FCWB's wouldnt be an issue at all. This is a 1st for me.... 1st time in YEARS not having a gpu under water, and 1sts for me not being able to source a damn block.

Exactly this, the config from MPT doesn't survive driver upgrades. Its just a software tweak.

I do agree if the 6900XT and 3090 are both $1500 then the 3090 makes sense. The issue is the $1500 6900XT is really compared against a $2000 3090. The low end 3090's have severely constrained power limits, a much bigger problem with their architecture.

1611409845418.png

1080 mv
2350/2600
+15%
about 295 watts.

+0% power will give me 19,200 with those settings.

Bykski water block should be here next week so I can cool this beast down to more comfortable levels and see if I can lower voltage a bit more for some wattage headroom. It doesn't appear to be the golden ticket silicon but I'm really happy with it for gaming. Finally a 4K capable card to drive my monitor. 😎

How does the 6800 non xt fare? I got mine off an amd.com drop for MSRP...and having a hard time justifying paying anything more lol - although I can likely make up the difference of MSRP to MSRP to a 6900 XT with reselling...but I don't want to get into that game. I am just wondering what the headroom is on this card? I've seen it perform anywhere between 10 and 20% of a 6800xt, depending on the reviewer. AMD has OC hard bios limits on these cards, right (2600 for 6800, 2800 for 6800xt, and 3000 for 6900xt)?

How does the 6800 non xt fare? I got mine off an amd.com drop for MSRP...and having a hard time justifying paying anything more lol - although I can likely make up the difference of MSRP to MSRP to a 6900 XT with reselling...but I don't want to get into that game. I am just wondering what the headroom is on this card? I've seen it perform anywhere between 10 and 20% of a 6800xt, depending on the reviewer. AMD has OC hard bios limits on these cards, right (2600 for 6800, 2800 for 6800xt, and 3000 for 6900xt)?

A 6800 straight from AMD is a steal. Amazon was already charging $130 more on launch day.

MPT should work on the 6800 and unlock some hidden potential. The boost limits in the BIOS are most likely not going to hold the card back, unless it's a golden sample on water. If RBE ever gets updated, we can at least get rid of the ridiculous memory speed limitation.

I 'd like to compare per watt performance here , or should I start another thread altogether?

I think it fits here. When using stock power limits we’re sort of maximizing perf/watt anyway by undervolting to see how much performance we can get from 293w. Lots of potential to map different power levels for performance. I get the impression there is a ton of undervolting potential that could be employed for a low power build (e.g. how low can you go on power while maintaining the stock 17k score on a 6800xt?)
Lol, no I overclocked it before I made my first pass.
That's the card with the three 8 pins right? I'm curious what the power consumption is telling you during the benchmark, definitely over the stock 293w. Really nice result though, that's basically my reference card under water but before MPT.

Messed with the MPT to give me another 20w. Gave me another couple hundred points. Temps really start to go up quickly, even with this modest boost to power.
1611510557193.png

I think it fits here. When using stock power limits we’re sort of maximizing perf/watt anyway by undervolting to see how much performance we can get from 293w. Lots of potential to map different power levels for performance. I get the impression there is a ton of undervolting potential that could be employed for a low power build (e.g. how low can you go on power while maintaining the stock 17k score on a 6800xt?)

That's the card with the three 8 pins right? I'm curious what the power consumption is telling you during the benchmark, definitely over the stock 293w. Really nice result though, that's basically my reference card under water but before MPT.
Yes, 3/8pin connectors.

Back