6800/6900 Overclock Results

Having just sold my 19k scoring 6800xt after I had an opportunity to get a 6900xt, this is not what I wanted to read! Fingers crossed...

Yah I'm not real happy about it. I had hoped by getting an AIB 6900xt I could push it a bit higher than stock and be closer to the 3090 in 4k. Unfortunately, my sample is a very poor overclocker. A highly overclocked 6800xt seems like it would be a better option than this but there are no guarantees you'll get great silicon there either. It's a lottery, and I lost.

Tell you the truth if I could easily send this one back and just pick up a 6800xt instead I'd probably be happy to do that. I was looking forward to tinkering with overclocking, much disappoint right now. 6900xt is already a bad value and when you can't hardly overclock it, then it just makes that even worse.

This is interesting and I agree, could be something tied to the higher latency of threadripper. My observations have been the other way, I'm surprised my score isn't coming in lower given I'm running PCI-E 3.0. I wonder if the inifinitycache built into the 6000 series is helping to keep the card fed better, it would be really interesting to see the results of a 6900XT in your system...
I might pick up a 6800XT if they ever become available. I have to check out games to see if this is even relevant other than TimeSpy. Checking TimeSpy results, most if not all the higher scores have SMT off and the average score for 3960x systems with a 3090 is what I was getting previously so I conclude it is not a system setup issue.

My lottery ticket should be here Friday hopefully a winner and even if it isn't it's a relief to finally get my grubby paws on one.

Asrock phantom lotto ticket gets here next week and I'll give it a try when I"m back in town next weekend. Would be nice to get at least in the high 19000s on timespy. Anyone who knows anyone interested in a sapphire nitro+ I have a lightly used one just want what I paid for it and price has come up since I bought it. Probably used for a total of 12 hours is it.

Man a few days ago I would have snapped up your nitro but 6900 water block and card will be here soon. I'm sure it'll be easy to sell right now as soon as you post in FS thread. Looks like Noko might be looking atm.

I got a 6800 yesterday off of Amazon Warehouse, card works great.

Still haven't figured out the overclocking yet.

Stock Timespy got ~15,100. Doing some messing around got it to ~15,900, but after trying some more it went down.

Igor had MPT results for the 6800, but he must have been using a newer version I assume, cause using the available MPT didn't seem to change anything. Also looks like the 6800 has lower limits for everything compared to ya'lls 6800XT limits

I got a 6800 yesterday off of Amazon Warehouse, card works great.

Still haven't figured out the overclocking yet.

Stock Timespy got ~15,100. Doing some messing around got it to ~15,900, but after trying some more it went down.

Igor had MPT results for the 6800, but he must have been using a newer version I assume, cause using the available MPT didn't seem to change anything. Also looks like the 6800 has lower limits for everything compared to ya'lls 6800XT limits
I saw the same reference to MPT on Igor's site, waiting on the release....

I have my 6900XT under water now and spent some time tuning it in. Stepping through the frequency and voltage curves to maximize Timespy, I settled at 2650mhz @ 1055mV with memory at 2130mhz fast timings. It pulls a consistent 19.8k to 19.85k in Timespy with average core clock above 2.55ghz. In Cyberpunk it hums along at 2.58-2.6ghz. Port Royale lands at 10600 with actual clocks north of 2.5ghz.

This is all the card's got until we figure out how to raise the power limit. If I drop the voltage by 5mV, crash. Raise the speed 10mhz, crash. Where it's at, rock stable in all benchmarks and probably 10 hours of Cyberpunk 2077.

It's probably also worth mentioning that while I have resizable bar enabled on my x470, because I have a PCI-e SSD installed as well the board is only giving the GPU 8x of 3.0 lanes. So my card is running at 25% of the peak bandwidth it was designed for, in that context its a little surprising it does as well as it does...

I saw the same reference to MPT on Igor's site, waiting on the release....

I have my 6900XT under water now and spent some time tuning it in. Stepping through the frequency and voltage curves to maximize Timespy, I settled at 2650mhz @ 1055mV with memory at 2130mhz fast timings. It pulls a consistent 19.8k to 19.85k in Timespy with average core clock above 2.55ghz. In Cyberpunk it hums along at 2.58-2.6ghz. Port Royale lands at 10600 with actual clocks north of 2.5ghz.

This is all the card's got until we figure out how to raise the power limit. If I drop the voltage by 5mV, crash. Raise the speed 10mhz, crash. Where it's at, rock stable in all benchmarks and probably 10 hours of Cyberpunk 2077.

It's probably also worth mentioning that while I have resizable bar enabled on my x470, because I have a PCI-e SSD installed as well the board is only giving the GPU 8x of 3.0 lanes. So my card is running at 25% of the peak bandwidth it was designed for, in that context its a little surprising it does as well as it does...
Can't remember which site it was, but I read a review comparing PCIe 3 vs 4 with the new cards and the difference, when measurable, was about 1%. Perhaps even 8 lanes of PCIe 3 gets the job done.

Well, figured out the power limit!

I haven't spent a ton of time with it but 20,765 in Timespy is about 1000 more than my previous best. Card is boosting to 360W in Wattman after applying soft powerplay tables with MorePowerTool. Post 231 on this thread will walk you through it. Needless to say you'll want to have your cooling in order, but with the extra VRM phase on the 6900XT and waterblock I'm not worried.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/the-radeon-rx-6900-xt-owners-thread.18909290/page-12

Edit: ~11,000 in Port Royal as well. Good to know my waterblock and power mod have gotten nearly to parity with an RTX 3080 in raytracing. :(

Attachments

• 20.75.jpg
    20.75.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6261.jpg
    IMG_6261.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Port Royal 11k.jpg
    Port Royal 11k.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
For this, I assume you had the power slider at +15 and were not using MPT. What max/min clocks were you set for here? I can't get under 1125mv so won't be able to dupe these results anyway, but am curious. Thanks

For this, I assume you had the power slider at +15 and were not using MPT. What max/min clocks were you set for here? I can't get under 1125mv so won't be able to dupe these results anyway, but am curious. Thanks
Correct, this was optimized with plus 15 but no soft mod.

I leave the min clocks at 500, I don’t truly believe that is doing anything for you to move it. I settled with max clock at 2650 but mapped a stable 10 point frequency/voltage curve from 2550 to 2650. My card is defiantly more efficient at 2600 w/ 1035 mV but that left power budget on the table in games (about the same score in timespy.)

I’ve played with two of these cards now and both were stable at 2550 @ 1025mV, it’s hard to imagine you need 100 extra mV... What did you start with for max boost when working the undervolting?

Initially I just copied the settings gamersnexus used in their testing. Immediate problems with that. I tried reducing clocks to 2500/2400 for example and I was still unable to get stable undervolts below 1125mv. In fact, that isn't even consistently stable, and timespy will crash occasionally. 1150 is about the cut-off to where I start seeing problems. The clock setting doesn't seem to impact the stability no matter what I set that too, though I did not try above about 2660. The voltage seems to be the issue and only with higher voltage does it run stable. Power slider is at +15 the whole time, no memory overclock, and junction temps are kept under 90c.

Initially I just copied the settings gamersnexus used in their testing. Immediate problems with that. I tried reducing clocks to 2500/2400 for example and I was still unable to get stable undervolts below 1125mv. In fact, that isn't even consistently stable, and timespy will crash occasionally. 1150 is about the cut-off to where I start seeing problems. The clock setting doesn't seem to impact the stability no matter what I set that too, though I did not try above about 2660. The voltage seems to be the issue and only with higher voltage does it run stable. Power slider is at +15 the whole time, no memory overclock, and junction temps are kept under 90c.
If you can keep it cool, you could try the SPPT mod with MPT and see if you can achieve higher clocks while at the voltages that work for you. It's worth noting that all my numbers are with the card at like 40C, Overclocking/Undervolting is noticeably worse while the cards are hot. I think 2550 or so was max on air.

Timespy is also just a fickle test, I know exactly the part you're speaking of at the start of the second test as the camera pans by the guns. Interestingly the 2800/1100 settings that draw 360w in Timespy are only drawing like 305W while playing cyberpunk. What are your actual boost clocks while gaming?

Boost clocks in timespy were around 2550mhz max when I was able to get it to finish a pass and I monitored with gpu-z. I didn't get around to trying any games while tinkering with the overclock so I don't know what clocks would've been there. When it didn't pass timespy I wasn't real driven at that point to try. Also even when I could get a core overclock to hold where I saw max boost around 2550 during the timespy pass, my scores were not real good. Low 19000s even with memory overclocks added into the picture. That said I had other processes running at the time and wasn't really set up to max the score, so it may have eeked out another 100-200 points absolute best case.

40c is certainly very cool for sure, lower than I'm going to achieve without maxing fans at 100% which I don't want to do. Regardless, I'm selling the card, and am going to try an ass rock phantom next. If I have the same negative resullts, then I'll try MPT with this one since it seems a bit better equipped for that with 3 pci-e connectors and what seems to be a step up on the cooler. Nitro+ is going on ebay open box sale.

This was as far as I could get my 6800 XT. It's short on power or voltage as any extra and I would get a crash.

Both of them are the highest for my combination on 3d Mark.

Attachments

• 7872 Time Spy Extreme.jpg
    7872 Time Spy Extreme.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 17215 Time Spy.jpg
    17215 Time Spy.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 0
This was as far as I could get my 6800 XT. It's short on power or voltage as any extra and I would get a crash.

Both of them are the highest for my combination on 3d Mark.
That's a golden 6800xt man! Congrats! What's your max power in the Merc bios?

MPT is doing nothing for me. I'm working with an Asrock Phantom 6900XT. I saved the BIOS with GPUZ, installed MPT as admin, ran MPT as admin. I tried 325 and 375 on the power limit with no effect on boost speeds.

Since there's no waterblock for the Asrock cards, I ordered this AIO for GPUs.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L4YQJG3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One reviewer already has installed it on a 6800, so it should fit. My only worry is cooling the VRMs and RAM with stuck-on heatsinks and that fan on the back of the AIO.

Last edited:
MPT is doing nothing for me. I'm working with an Asrock Phantom 6900XT. I saved the BIOS with GPUZ, installed MPT as admin, ran MPT as admin. I tried 325 and 375 on the power limit with no effect on boost speeds.

Since there's no waterblock for the Asrock cards, I ordered this AIO for GPUs.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L4YQJG3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One reviewer already has installed it on a 6800, so it should fit. My only worry is cooling the VRMs and RAM with stuck-on heatsinks and that fan on the back of the AIO.
Do you see a higher power number in wattman under full load? Possible it only works with reference boards at the moment.

Do you see a higher power number in wattman under full load? Possible it only works with reference boards at the moment.
No change in power according to Wattman. ~280 default, max 323 at +15%, with or without MPT.

The minimum clock speed looks like it's the key with my card. 2800 Max 2700 Min had my in-game boosts consistently at 2650. Had a crash there, so I'm working backwards to find stability. Unfortunately, Wattman requires at least a 100MHz gap between min and max.

Those were full effort attempts with PPTs and max power was 360W. Normal bios for the 6800XT Merc is 281 & 289.

Even at 360W I was running into power or voltage limits as if I advanced memory then core clock would drop slightly. If I pulled memory back some then I could advance the core clock until I suspect I ran out of voltage.
It looks like 6900XTs can get 1.175mV while 6800XTs are 1.150mV. If I tried to mod it to the same power then the cards OCP would shut it off as soon as it went under load.

Those were full effort attempts with PPTs and max power was 360W. Normal bios for the 6800XT Merc is 281 & 289.

Even at 360W I was running into power or voltage limits as if I advanced memory then core clock would drop slightly. If I pulled memory back some then I could advance the core clock until I suspect I ran out of voltage.
It looks like 6900XTs can get 1.175mV while 6800XTs are 1.150mV. If I tried to mod it to the same power then the cards OCP would shut it off as soon as it went under load.
Yeah, set at 2800mhz/1100mV my 6900xt reports 1175 draw when fully loaded and that seems to be the limiting factor to further clocks. I’ve pulled down 20960 in Timespy, I may need to tune my system memory or pump an AC into my case to break the 21k mark.

Which way should i place the bios slider? My card didnt explain which did what. I got the merc 6900 xt highest timespy atm was 19183. with power +15 and everything kinda stock.

He's running MPT with the Merc and seeing an impact on power draw so evidently it works on at least some aftermarket cards not just reference models.
MPT is doing nothing for me. I'm working with an Asrock Phantom 6900XT.
I have one of these and am installing it later this weekend. When you find your max stable results on air please post the settings as I'd like to see them. Ideally without MPT being in the picture.

After trying to grab an XT for months, I gave up and purchased a 6800 nitro+ for too much money "after tariffs."
Good news is with just the 10% extra power from wattman and raising the min/max clocks, the card stays locked to 2500-2556mhz in games, benchmarks like timespy extreme will fluctuate between 2390-2500mhz. Fast timings and memory clock at 2150mhz. 2600mhz max doesn't crash but reports 96.1% stability in 3dmark stress testing

I don't really understand the role MPT plays in these cards with the frequency hard locks. Would MPT provide any benefit to me at all?

He's running MPT with the Merc and seeing an impact on power draw so evidently it works on at least some aftermarket cards not just reference models.

I have one of these and am installing it later this weekend. When you find your max stable results on air please post the settings as I'd like to see them. Ideally without MPT being in the picture.
Fastest clocks that will get through Timespy are 2725/2625 max/min. With those clocks, +15% power, and men set at 2150 my highest graphics score (with a 5800X) is 19262. Fastest I've had in game without a crash (so far) is 2785/2685.
That's with the case open and the fan going to 100% at 80C. I'll try with a closed case shortly.

Does anybody have a link to a teardown of the Phantom? There are no screw heads on the back side apart from the 4 around the chip, just what look like rounded nuts sunk into the backplate. The screws I see on the front are underneath the fans, so the screwdriver has to fit between the fan blades. My case is set up for water, and if I have to rely on air for this card I'll have to send it back and get a block for my reference 6800.

Fastest clocks that will get through Timespy are 2725/2625 max/min. With those clocks, +15% power, and men set at 2150 my highest graphics score (with a 5800X) is 19262. Fastest I've had in game without a crash (so far) is 2785/2685.
That's with the case open and the fan going to 100% at 80C. I'll try with a closed case shortly.

Does anybody have a link to a teardown of the Phantom? There are no screw heads on the back side apart from the 4 around the chip, just what look like rounded nuts sunk into the backplate. The screws I see on the front are underneath the fans, so the screwdriver has to fit between the fan blades. My case is set up for water, and if I have to rely on air for this card I'll have to send it back and get a block for my reference 6800.
I was looking at these earlier but lost interest because there were no waterblocks yet. Appears to still be the case: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Byski would see the most likely to make one and would have to post a tear down. Alternatively you could sell/trade for a reference card to someone that wants to stay on air. The reference design had power bandwidth for 375w, I certainly don’t think the third power cable is needed to get very respectable oc’s.

I was looking at these earlier but lost interest because there were no waterblocks yet. Appears to still be the case: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Byski would see the most likely to make one and would have to post a tear down. Alternatively you could sell/trade for a reference card to someone that wants to stay on air. The reference design had power bandwidth for 375w, I certainly don’t think the third power cable is needed to get very respectable oc’s.
The only waterblock I could find for my Gigabyte Turbo Gaming 1080Ti was a Bykski and it did a great job. The LED controller never worked, but that's fine.

I just ran Timespy in a closed case and I'm impressed with the heatsink on this card. Stock settings Max GPU/Junc temps were 78/94 with the fan hitting 55%. With the overclock settings I posted above, the fan spun up to 100% (custom curve on that profile), but the temps didn't go any higher. Scores were in the 18000s, but the card stayed in a good range of temperatures.

Now I'm really indecisive about which card I'll keep. I have 10 more days to return the 6800 and I really don't need both.

The only waterblock I could find for my Gigabyte Turbo Gaming 1080Ti was a Bykski and it did a great job. The LED controller never worked, but that's fine.

I just ran Timespy in a closed case and I'm impressed with the heatsink on this card. Stock settings Max GPU/Junc temps were 78/94 with the fan hitting 55%. With the overclock settings I posted above, the fan spun up to 100% (custom curve on that profile), but the temps didn't go any higher. Scores were in the 18000s, but the card stayed in a good range of temperatures.

Now I'm really indecisive about which card I'll keep. I have 10 more days to return the 6800 and I really don't need both.
The plus side is you have a much longer “return” window if you’re willing to ship it to someone over in FS/FT. Offering up the extra hardware we manage to snag helps the forum out.

Yea I got an email about a preorder from BLT on a 6800XT nitro expected on 1/25. I've got a few days left to cancel or just let it ship and sell it at cost to a H member since I've already got a 6900. Still not sure of what to do and not real clear on the rules here regarding the situation. I know this isn't allowed to be posted in FS/FT until it's in hand but it's kind of a gray area in the forum rules. Perhaps a mod could chime in and help clarify the scenario.

Yea I got an email about a preorder from BLT on a 6800XT nitro expected on 1/25. I've got a few days left to cancel or just let it ship and sell it at cost to a H member since I've already got a 6900. Still not sure of what to do and not real clear on the rules here regarding the situation. I know this isn't allowed to be posted in FS/FT until it's in hand but it's kind of a gray area in the forum rules. Perhaps a mod could chime in and help clarify the scenario.

If you're selling at cost (your price plus tax shipping fees) it's allowed in the fs/ft forum.

Rules state it must be in hand to be posted in FS/FT and I don't wanna get stuck with it so...

What's the expected price, I know blt has had some price changes. Basically take that and look if it will likely sell. Otherwise cancel it.

Retails at 850.00 from them and no sales tax here so that's it. Hell I'd even cover shipping if someone wants it here to help out a member since these things are near unobtainium these days.

Retails at 850.00 from them and no sales tax here so that's it. Hell I'd even cover shipping if someone wants it here to help out a member since these things are near unobtainium these days.
You will absolutely sell that immediately and have them cover shipping.

Be careful with pre-orders from blt. That card is currently listed at $1023 and they do not honor the price you "secured it at" either. They've got some pretty nasty fine print regarding price changes on pre-orders too. Either give them a call and verify before they charge you or do some more research before you make a decision

Although I think that the price at the time of pre-order from BLT is not guaranteed.

"pricing for out of stock items is not "locked in", and subject to change. We will only increase pricing on an item if our cost rises beyond an amount we can absorb."

So it appears that until it ships, the quoted price is just a place holder. I have a pre-order in as well @ $820, but I fully suspect they will not be able to honor that price. If the price is raised they will not charge you, unless you agree to the new price, supposedly.

But even at the current price of $1023, that is still cheaper than NewEgg's $999 + tax for me.

Back