6800 256 BIT 128 Meg PNY

Sinster

Gawd
165.00 at the EGG

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133114

this card doesn't suck at all

I used to own BFG 6800OC, if you can unlock extra 4 pipes and 1 vertex pipe you basically get yourself a 6800GT for price of 6800 vanilla (of course ram is clocked much slower....but still..)
I upgraded it from Radeon 9800pro and couldn't be happier. 165 is a really good deal I think.

another vote for [H]ot deal status on this find. pny is a reliable brand from my experience.

Somebody posted this in my clan's forum. God damnit I had to buy one. I do not posess the pure strength of will. Why must I be a security guard and not somebody that gets paid decently? :confused:

richard8794 said:
this card doesn't suck at all

I used to own BFG 6800OC, if you can unlock extra 4 pipes and 1 vertex pipe you basically get yourself a 6800GT for price of 6800 vanilla (of course ram is clocked much slower....but still..)
I upgraded it from Radeon 9800pro and couldn't be happier. 165 is a really good deal I think.

If it unlocks. Besides it is a PNY card......are people still having caps fall off?

awesome deal

too bad im looking for something a lil more powerful.

i guess ill just be waiting til end of summer still =/

Can someone please be kind enough to tell me if it would be good to get this card over a 6600 gt. Would the out-of-the-box performance of the pny 6800 be better than the 6600gt version?

N3m35i5 said:
Can someone please be kind enough to tell me if it would be good to get this card over a 6600 gt. Would the out-of-the-box performance of the pny 6800 be better than the 6600gt version?

Its out of stock.

macncheese said:
Its out of stock.
Wow that really answers his question :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes it will be faster than a 6600GT
Enough to be worth the $$$? Probably not. Best save for a 6800GT

Davenow said:
Wow that really answers his question :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The question was "Should I get this card...." and if its out of stock, you can't get it. I think I answered it perfectly fine! :D Ironically, its back in stock now.

--
Cheese

6600GT = 8 Pipelines, has faster ram than the 6800
6800 = 12 Pipelines (but can be unlocked to get 16 Pipelines and 6 shaders, note not all are successful in doing this, its like the lottery) You can o/c the GPU to GT speeds but the ram won't be able to o/c to the GT speed. I have heard 800/900 area for the ram. Again these o/c settings are not guaranteed.

I have a 6800 and stock settings I get 19223 in Mark01se and 10020 in Mark03. Haven't tried Mark05. I know these aren't the great scores but my card run DoomIII smoothly at 1024*768 on "High" settings.

just get two x900xt - PEs then crossfire them together with an AMD FX-60 and your set

i like ponies

mal out

Personally I'm getting around 20,000 in 3DMark '01, 12,000 in '03 and 4300 in '05 with my 6800 running it unlocked with all the pipes going and the clocks at 385 core and 810 mem.

Someone mentioned the 6600GT having faster ram, this might well be the case but since it's a mere 128 bit it's still slower in terms of overall bandwidth plus with GDDR3 you're looking at higher latencies which also slows the overall bandwidth down some. Yes, I know that it's not enough to make up a 300mhz clock deficit but it still does make a difference.

Anyways, if those weren't PNY cards I'd really be enthusiastic about the price but PNY tends to be very sparse with their bundles and their cards tend to not OC as well as the competition's do.

Not to mention the fact that they don't make their own cards, for a while MSI did. I should know, my PNY TI 4400 was forever being identified as an MSI card via it's bios. I know it never had it's bios flashed.

N3m35i5 said:

macncheese said:
The question was "Should I get this card...." and if its out of stock, you can't get it. I think I answered it perfectly fine! :D Ironically, its back in stock now.

--
Cheese

Reading comprehension :p

Now I cant find the card on neweeg at all. Looks like its gone now.

i was sucessfully charged for 191 dollars which includes overnight shipping.
its still being packaged in warehouse, i wonder if thatr was a price mistake.
i sure hope not

honkee said:
i was sucessfully charged for 191 dollars which includes overnight shipping.
its still being packaged in warehouse, i wonder if thatr was a price mistake.
i sure hope not

I doubt it was a mistake. I got a price drop notification from the egg yesterday.

Looked earlier and couldn't find it. Reading the thread again now I'm wondering if my 6800OC is just incapable of running all the pipes, or if I might have needed to "downclock" the card.

When I followed the instructions posted recently, I used RivaTuner and went from 12 to 16. But when I started Doom 3, I had a kinda "checkerboard" look with red lines running between black squares on the opening screen. Without doing any other testing, I told RivaTuner to run me at default, rebooted, uninstalled RivaTuner and decided the extra pipes just weren't meant to be.

Any chance I could try something else and maybe not get the artifacting? Maybe it's because I have a BFG and it's overclocked out of the box?

If anyone can give me a valid link for those PNY cards, I'll happily try another 6800 in another of my 3 other rigs. ;)

MERKMAN said:
Looked earlier and couldn't find it. Reading the thread again now I'm wondering if my 6800OC is just incapable of running all the pipes, or if I might have needed to "downclock" the card.

When I followed the instructions posted recently, I used RivaTuner and went from 12 to 16. But when I started Doom 3, I had a kinda "checkerboard" look with red lines running between black squares on the opening screen. Without doing any other testing, I told RivaTuner to run me at default, rebooted, uninstalled RivaTuner and decided the extra pipes just weren't meant to be.

Any chance I could try something else and maybe not get the artifacting? Maybe it's because I have a BFG and it's overclocked out of the box?

If anyone can give me a valid link for those PNY cards, I'll happily try another 6800 in another of my 3 other rigs. ;)

With unlocking a 6800 it's largely a crap shoot, you might get lucky and have one that all the pipes are good on or you might not. Have you tried just unlocking the vertex shaders? Since you got the checkerboard thing going on there's no real telling if it was the pixel shader doing it or the vertex shader until you try each individually starting with the vertex pipe.

I really doubt downclocking the card will help but you might give it a go, what do the clocks run on that card?

sorry guys im one of the greedy bastards that snatched these up last night b4 it got to this forum. If It dosen't unlock or OC worth a crap it may end up on the FS/FT forum for cheap.

They totally removed the link. Those were scooped up...

I was lucky and was able to unlock my pipeline and shader with one of my 6800 the other one I was 1/2 lucky and could unlock the shader not the pipeline.

why the hell they remove that link? i don't even think it is a price mistake.. I mean come on only like what.. 30 dollars difference then normally prices of 200??

I have this card. I was able to unlock the extra pipelines and vertex shader.

Unfortunately, I paid $200 for mine on black friday 2004.

Ok. So doing some testing at home tonight, I was able to unlock the vertex shader. The pipeline is definately what's causing the "corruption" on my screen in Doom 3.

So, what does the extra vertex shader do for me? I'm not really sure of the advantage.

The extra vertex shader should increase framerates in games that utilize it for special effects....yeah, I know, really helpfull. My advice to you is to run a few benchmarks like AquaMark 3 and 3DMark 2003 and 2005 with and without the vertex shader enabled and see if you pick up any points and if so in which tests. The details will show you the FPS for each individual phase of testing.

I luckily picked up one before they were sold out. Hopefully it will unlock without artifact. They now have the XFX 6800 for $189.00 after a $30 rebate. I like this card better because it has dual DVIs.

mine should be here friday

that deserves a woot, i have 2 bfg 6800 oc's and none of them unlock.
only the vertex shaders unlock.
i run them at stock anyways sinec its plenty fast for source

Got mine Friday and it successfully unlocked and currently running at 380/900. Everything is stock.

Back