680 vs 680 Classified (3dMark scores)

oChaos Nine

Limp Gawd
I have a 680 FTW 2GB clocked at 1280/6708 and my best score in 3DMark 11 is 11410. A friend of mine recently purchased a 680 Classified and he currently has it clocked at 1371/8008 and his best score is 11219. I have a modded bios to unlock voltage to 1.212 and he's using the EVBot getting his voltage up to 1.35 stable during 3DMark 11.

Our builds are almost identical and I can't figure out how he's not crushing me with those clocks. He was originally running dual monitors when he installed the card and getting low numbers and I suggested to just run one... That didn't help or change his scores. His monitor is an older model Dell and he seems to think that has something to do with it but I don't think so as basic 3DMark 11 runs @ 1280x720.

I've went over everything I can thing I can think of having him change settings to what I have but still no luck. Only option I can think of is a fresh install for him but I'm hoping somebody here might know what's up.

My system: Windows 7

Core: i7 3770k @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H80i
Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Performance
Ram: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 @ 1600
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 FTW 2GB
HDD: OCZ Agility 2 120GB | Hitachi 300GB
PSU: EVGA HEX750G
Case: Cooler Master 922M
Monitor: BenQ 22" 1920x1080

His system: Windows 8

Core: i7 3770k @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H100i
Mobo: ASRock OC Formula
Ram: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 @ 1866
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB
HDD: OCZ Agility 4 256GB
PSU: EVGA HEX750G
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Monitor: Dell 22" 1680x1050

The machines may have the same specs but it never means the higher clock will have higher performance.
Like you said it would be best to have both machines with a fresh install to rid of the extra variables.

Are you both running 3D Mark at the same resolution when running benchmarks?

Our monitor resolution Is different (max res) but the free version will only let you run at 1280x720 which both monitors will do.

Why you touched voltage on your 680 FTW?... That card should easy shoot 1300mhz/7000mhz stable without touch the voltage... Also the only and BIG difference i noticed on your machine its called Windows 7 and windows 8... I know from a lot of people that on windows 8 they get less performance on games, bench, and any kind of test.. Thats why mostly people do not like it...

The max my card would do on stock voltage was 1240. I also thought 7 and 8 would be the difference but I remember reading benchmarks that showed on the same system there were no major differences and 8 actually did better by a frame or two on some tests.

If it were me. I'd switch out the video cards on the two rigs and see what happens. I would put money on the lack of performance being more dependent on the OS and other components than something pertaining to the video cards.
Just my 2 cents

Maybe his overclock isn't stable? Anytime any of my video cards oc's are not stable, 3dmark p-scores tend to be worse than the previous.

What was his and your graphics score?

At that resolution, most everything is going to be CPU/subsystem limited rather than graphics card limited. Its like taking your Ferrari out to the track and trying to win the race in first gear....

The other consideration is that while you posted your "clocks", since you didn't specify as such (and I will assume that there's not a subsystem bottleneck), I would assume that the observed boost clock on your card is higher than his, even though it has a lower base/"boost" clock. Also, GDDR5 can slow down your overall performance if you have it clocked too high (but not high enough to crash) due to its error correcting functions. The higher memory clock could be using more board power which would take away from the GPU's ability to boost.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to run EVGA's OC app or MSI Afterburner and configure them to run with a HUD on screen to show you the actual GPU clock, and compare that between the systems. Then play with your clocks some to see if you can wring more out - on Kepler, you can sometimes get a higher effective clock from a slightly lower base/boost clock.

PS. 3dMark doesn't really do anything other than provide bragging rights to other people that care about 3dMark. Personally, I don't care about 3dMark.

Ninja Edit: PSS. Its probably OS differential.

Last edited:
obviously its an os differential. with systems this close in specs it is the obvious culprit. get a cheap ssd or hdd and make a dedicated benchmark drive out of whatever os you want and you both run benchmarks from the same drive and he should smoke you with the classidied.

i pull 11213 in 3dmark11 P with stock cocks on my classified and 3770k with stock clocks turbo enabled to stock of 3.9. so at his oc on the card and 4.8 on his 3770k he should be around 12000 in 3dmark11 on win764..

Back