680 GTX HDMI to TV ... I'm doing it wrong

Lazaredz

n00b
So it dawned on me today as I was playing Crysis 3 that it would be a hoot to play this on my TV. I lugged the tower into the family room, ran an HDMI from the 680 port to an open port on the Denon reciever and fired it all up ..... nothing. Best I get is a brief "No Signal" message from the Denon. It never is that simple is it ......

So what am I missing. Everything else I have plugged into the Denon via HDMI "just worked". DVR, Bluray, etc ... no problem. Computer didn't even display the POST.

Have mercy and help an old fart out.

Thx in advance.

Wow ... fast triggers there guys

I will give it a shot but that'll leave the audio out of the loop which will kind of defeat the purpose (unless I am missing something again)

I'm not familiar with nvidia control panel but did you go in their and enable a second display via hdmi?

I will give it a shot but that'll leave the audio out of the loop which will kind of defeat the purpose (unless I am missing something again)

Don't already have audio connected to the receiver from the HDTV? If not or if your HDTV doesn't provide this option, you could always run a separate audio cable to the receiver. I would go with an optical cable if you have one lying around.

Don't already have audio connected to the receiver from the HDTV? If not or if your HDTV doesn't provide this option, you could always run a separate audio cable to the receiver. I would go with an optical cable if you have one lying around.

No the audio doesn't run from the TV to the reciever. It runs from the source (Bluray, DVR, etc) to the reciever then to the speakers.

With an HDMI switching receiver, that would be backward. You want to have everything go from source->receiver->TV. That way, the receiver does all the switching and feeds a single HDMI input on the TV, so you never touch the TV controls.

OP, give a direct connection to the TV a try. Going through the receiver shouldn't be an issue, but give it a try to rule it out. Otherwise, sounds like you might have to hook up a monitor to the port you were using previously and switch the output over to HDMI. I would think tt should at least send a signal through the HDMI on post and through the boot process, though.

Ok .. so went straight from the GTX to the TV ... worked fine

So why won't my reciever allow the passthrough?

Again, the problem is that if I do it this way I can't use the home theater audio.

With an HDMI switching receiver, that would be backward. You want to have everything go from source->receiver->TV. That way, the receiver does all the switching and feeds a single HDMI input on the TV, so you never touch the TV controls.

... this

Hmm, sounds like an HDCP issue. Try replugging it through the receiver now with everything up and running and see if it comes up. And maybe try switching inputs on the receiver to something else, then back to your PC if that doesn't work.

How old is your receiver?

OMG ... I really am getting old

So yeah, it helps if you have the HDMI port you are plugging into on your reciever turned ON in the reciever software.

I am an idiot ... sorry to have taken up your time.

Thx for the help though :)

Obviously, I know this. I only recommended the other work around because he stated he could not get the receiver to recognize the HDMI input from the computer.

If you read the earlier post before he figured out the solution, he stated that he had no sound after connecting the HDMI straight to the HDTV...

Back