680 4GB with 570 FOR PhysX

Magnus042

Weaksauce
Would a GTX 570 be worth using just for Physx?
Or would it slow down the 680?

Well today I'm picking up a used 680 to replace my SLI 570s.
I was wondering if i should keep one, or sell them both off.
I know for todays games it may not make a difference, but a year from now?
i suppose the question is very general in nature, but id be keen to know what you all think about it.

A 570 would be big time overkill for PhysX. I'd sell both, buy something like a GTX 650 (about $100) and pocket the rest of the $$.

That's probably the best idea, but I'm doubtful I'll get more than $100 for the 570 these days.
I guess we will see.

I'd sell both the 570's and not run a dedicated PhysX card. The price of used 680's is dropping fast (I sold mine for $310 shipped), so I would just start saving for a second one. That's what I should have probably done.

It definitely helps in games that use PhysX, but there really aren't that many. If you could be $100 to $120 dollars closer to a second card, I think you would see a much more appreciable benefit in all the games you play.

Of course, I didn't really consider that the 570 will have some resale value no matter when you sell it, so maybe using it as a dedicated card until (if ever) you find a second 680 isn't such a bad idea.

I ended up getting a 780, I think that should be more than enough!!:)

Nice! I ended up selling two GTX 660 SC's and my GTX 680 to get the GTX 780. Still had to chip in some cash at the end! :eek:

You'll definitely get better performance with just the GTX 780 than with a GTX 680 + 570, at least I did than with a GTX 680 + 650 Ti. Of course, I did keep the 650 Ti, as selling it wasn't worth the small amount I'd get back after fees + shipping. ;)

Well im selling both 570s, Im hoping to get a little cash back, that 780 wasnt cheap! lol

Hurry and sell those 570s! Like you said yourself, their prices are dropping.

Sold them locally yesterday. I was starting to get worried haha!!
My new 780 is epic, an hour of Borderlands2 last night was AMAZING!

Interesting thread. I just upgraded to a 770 myself and have this 570 left over. Resale value is not worth the effort to me so I thought about using it as a stand-alone Physx card. As it happens, I do have a lot of games that use it. In particular the Batman series and a few others.

Looking at the number of cuda that each card has (770/1536 vs 570/480), I'm wondering if its even worth the trouble now. Are opinions that a 570 would actually slow down a 770?

I temporarily have the 570 installed in a second box, but that machine is primarily used for work and maybe watching the occasional movie. I was planning on putting an old Radeon HD 4890 in that machine and recyling the 570 as a Physx card in my 'gaming' rig.

I used a 480 for PhysX. There is no way it will slow down your primary GPU. It can handle the PhysX well uh, handily. So offloading work from your primary GPU can only help, when talking about these caliber of cards.

I have an EVGA 680 w/ 2GB of RAM. Newegg today has 660s for $150. Would a 660 2GB be overkill?

Looking to improve my BF4 experiance

I have an EVGA 680 w/ 2GB of RAM. Newegg today has 660s for $150. Would a 660 2GB be overkill?

Looking to improve my BF4 experiance

I don't think bf4 supports gpu physx. GPU phsyx is only supported in a handful of games (like the batman arkham games). That second card won't do anything in bf4.

Ack!! you are right. Shoot... Ohh well, it'll be in there and ready for games that support it.

Thanks for the reply.

Just about any Unreal Engine game uses PhysX. Is a PhysX card necessary? No. It usually has nicer visuals with the PhysX cards though like clothes that flap in the wind, fog effects, etc. If you like these nice touches the PhysX is more then justifiable. A lot of people just get caught up in the FPS the card produces instead of what is actually being put on the screen. This is coming from a Radeon guy.

Just about any Unreal Engine game uses PhysX. Is a PhysX card necessary? No. It usually has nicer visuals with the PhysX cards though like clothes that flap in the wind, fog effects, etc. If you like these nice touches the PhysX is more then justifiable. A lot of people just get caught up in the FPS the card produces instead of what is actually being put on the screen. This is coming from a Radeon guy.
physx is the physics engine for modern UE 3 games but only a handful of those games offer optional hardware effects.

From personal experience a gt640 has a little less physx computing power then a 680 by itself. So you want something faster then a gt640. I think in the past they said higher clocked cards provide more performance then just having more cores.

bf4 is all scripted destruction, no calculations are being made as a building collapses.

If you want better performance you want faster cpu/gpu combo.

You could keep the 570s around, they make great space heaters and WINTER IS COMING!

I figured I'd update this thread in case anyone was curious what a 770+570 combo would yield. Was rebuilding my work machine anyway so I took the opportunity to pull out the 570 since it was being wasted in this machine and replace it with an old HD 4890.

Arkham Origins with the 770 handling both graphics and Physx, res at 1920x1080, MAX eye candy.

MIn 67 fps
Max 122 fps
Avg 85 fps

Now with 570 handling the Physx.

Min 91
Max 160
Avg 115

Not a bad boost from what I was getting.

Back