6700k skylake, cpu voltage question on sabertooth z170 mark1

kandor

Gawd
Hi,

I'm doing some more overclocking on this mobo/cpu combo. I'm really a little confused on the cpu voltage settings. I can do a low overclock of 4.4 and just leave the cpu voltage on auto. But if I set it to say adaptive mode, + offset, and set voltage to 1.32 etc. then I'll get a realbench bluescreen occasionally. Whereas auto is rock solid.

Is realbench as previously reported good enough for testing skylake overclocks? Or should I use a combination like x264 or p95 etc?

Mainly though, I'd like to see an eg. of exact methods for setting the cpu voltage!

Thanks!

Thanks for the link. I hear you - I'm currently testing adaptive set at 1.33 with a .0001 offset added. Runs realbench fine, but temps are notably hotter than when just using auto. I suppose maybe 1.33 is higher than needed considering I'm only at 44 multiplier?

edit: by higher temps I mean mid 50's on realbench when at 100% as opposed to high 40's when I leave cpu on auto

For your other question
Real bench does not stress your CPU near the level of Prime95 in my quick and dirty testing.

I agree, but last year when I was asking about skylake it was mentioned that pime can hit new chips/chipsets too hard. Realbench or x264 was brought up as suitable replacements. But I'm all ears if opinions have changed?

Update, currently testing x264, with the test batch file, cpu holding at 62c.

Cpu mulitplier = 44
Using XMP for the ram, g.skill 64gb @2.8
cpu volt: adaptive 1.33
offset .0001
LLC = auto
Cpu power phase control = optimized
VRM spread spectrum = disabled

Everything else is stock. So, I feel good about this, but I recognize that my adaptive volt of 1.33 maybe higher than needed. When I have more time I'll test higher multipliers and/or lower volts

Update, currently testing x264, with the test batch file, cpu holding at 62c.

Cpu mulitplier = 44
Using XMP for the ram, g.skill 64gb @2.8
cpu volt: adaptive 1.33
offset .0001
LLC = auto
Cpu power phase control = optimized
VRM spread spectrum = disabled

Everything else is stock. So, I feel good about this, but I recognize that my adaptive volt of 1.33 maybe higher than needed. When I have more time I'll test higher multipliers and/or lower volts

Stop using auto LLC. For a 4.4ghz overclock you should be using a low LLC, 3 or 4, and hit a vcore of under 1.3 at load. My 6700k does [email protected] (with igpu on) under load so yours should most definitely be under 1.3v at 4.4ghz.

*Oh and I prefer prime95 (30 minutes), then I toss a 10 hour handbrake session at it. I get some hevc shrinking work done and confirm the cpus stability at the same time. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll test it now. What version p95 are you running at what mode? Handbrake I have no experience with but I'll look into it. And when you say ' hit a vcoore of under 1.3' I thought that adaptive would hardcode my vcore at load to whatever I set. So are you saying, keep adaptive and set vcore to 1.3 or lower?

Thanks again!

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll test it now. What version p95 are you running at what mode? Handbrake I have no experience with but I'll look into it. And when you say ' hit a vcoore of under 1.3' I thought that adaptive would hardcode my vcore at load to whatever I set. So are you saying, keep adaptive and set vcore to 1.3 or lower?

Thanks again!

Read the link! It walks you thru setting up manual voltage first. This lets you know your absolute required voltage for X clock. Once you have this knowledge, then you can move to adaptive. Btw, using adaptive does not use offset, as you use additional turbocore voltage instead. You need to know the required voltage for X clock first before moving on, so switch to manual and figure it out.

Thanks and I did read the link previously so I understood the sequence, I guess the way I phrased the question didn't make a ton o' sense. I get it though that testing cpu v on manual until you find the lowest stable voltage you are comfortable with and then upticking it a bit and switching to adaptive. I appreciate the info again.

Back