6700k or 5820k build

seeing in week i gona go to Microcenter to pick up parts and I have not decided yet. keep i mind I coming from a i7 920@ stock, ddr3 3x2gb 1600mhz ,660gtx, Antec Truepower 750

http://www.microcenter.com/store/add_product.aspx?productIDs=0446603,0437203
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...400_PC4-19200_Quad_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit

5820k 299.99$ + X99Extreme4 ATX 179.99$ + 16gb 4x4gb drr4 99.99$
579.97$

or

http://www.microcenter.com/product/451883/Core_i7-6700K_40GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor
http://www.microcenter.com/product/452118/Z170-Pro4_LGA_1151_ATX_Intel_Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...0_(PC4-19200)_Quad_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit

6700k 359.99+ Asrock z170 pro4 117.99 +DDR 16 gb 2x8gb 119$

Rest of parts

http://www.microcenter.com/product/448269/Define_S_ATX_Case_-_Black
http://www.microcenter.com/product/373900/Hyper_212_EVO_Universal_CPU_Cooler

89.99$ case
39.99 HSF

5820k=709.95 with 3.5%sales tax =734.79
6700k=727.95 with 3.5 sales tax = 753.42

Now I know the 5820k is an expensive chip if i buy from some place other then microcenter. and most place want more for the the 6700k compared to microcenter. and Mem bandwidth on the 5820k whill be better then the 6700k,

I was looking forward to building PC that use less wattage which will only happen with the 6700k as the 5820k is 40watts more then my current system.
Probably the most demanding game I play is SWTOR which brutalizes even a 6700k cause how bad the engine is. Outside that game play I Skyrim,emulation like pcsx2 which loves STP. some point gona get witcher 3 and the new deus ex when it out

There for I torn go with the 6700 for STP or 5820k lose about 200stp which should much better once DX12 takes hold and developers stop using DX9-11 engines. Ocing is not my thing and not something I care to do unless OCing got 2-3x easier vs x58 systems. even then I not sure thought at 4ghz stp should be similar to 6700k?, This build will probably last 4~5 years if not longer like my current system

GPU/PSU/SDD/HDD are being pulled from current system to be used in new build, gpu wont be replaced till after pascal gpu dies. and PSU was recently RMA last year asfter 4 years of use cause system was rebooting spontaneously but that was really gpu driver issue, so the psu is should be good to go.

Looking to do build before he free upgrade to win10 ends too

If your only consideration is gaming I'd buy the 6700K, because it's a more modern platform. Especially if you don'T plan to oc, as the 5820K has a much lower stock clock, and considerably lower turbo clock. Add on top of that the benefit from the newer architecture, and it's a clear winner.

If OC was on the table I'd lean towards the 5820K.

And overclocking was simpler on X58, it only got more complicated since, but it's still not rocket science, you just have to take your time finding the right voltages.

Edit: I just saw you plan to use this with a 660GTX, then you won't even notice any difference as, you'll be GPU limited everywhere. So it's not even worth it to try overclocking until you get a new GPU.

I chose the 6700K over the 5820K despite fully intending to OC either, but I still agree with M76's basic rationale, not OC'ing skews things further in favor of the 6700K (or eventually the non-K 6700, tho they'll likely be within a couple bucks of each other).

I don't know how smooth ASRock's auto OC engine is but the likes of ASUS and MSI can automatically get you a half decent OC with literally the press of a button. ASUS boards, even low end ones, will stress test it themselves and everything...

Anyway, there's been several threads and tangents on the subject that you can look up, although around here it's almost always from the PoV of enthusiasts looking to OC. One post from me on this from a few days ago:

It has been discussed at length elsewhere but for me some of the practical differences factored in as much as the obvious ones...

6600/6700K will have an OC and IPC advantage, however mild, 5820K gets you two more cores... That's the obvious. The Skylake IMC seems friendlier towards higher memory OC & the Z170 boards I was looking at seemed more mature than a lot of X99 boards, but neither was a major factor in my decision.

The price difference can be negligible if you have a Microcenter nearby, or it can be over $130 between mobo & CPU. In the same vein, even tho the 5820K/X99 doesn't have any more lanes than a 6700/Z170, there's always the possibility of upgrading to a 40 lane CPU on X99 (5830 or future SKU).

The lane layout of the 5820K does favor tri-SLI/CF since there's more lanes coming from the CPU tho, even tho there's less 3.0 lanes overall. But again, none of of those things mattered a ton to me personally, price might've factored in a little at best. The layout and feature set of Z170 boards did seem more attractive to me tho.

On the feature front you've got slightly more modern accoutrements like USB Type C and/or 3.1 on cheaper boards, as well as Intel RAID/RST integration for M.2/PCI-E storage. Layout wise, having that extra slot above the first x16 (under CPU) allows me to use my Xonar STX and run Crossfire/SLI without sandwiching the former

I also still have the bottom-most slot (an x4) free for an SSD. On many X99 boards something would end up getting sandwiched between GPUs, or might not fit at all. A hexa core will run hotter and for my main usage won't make a lick of difference, that includes gaming, stressful photography work, and programming.

For video editing which I mess around with occasionally the extra two cores would make a big difference, but I weighed the other factors already mentioned more heavily. It's possible the 5820K is slightly more future proof, but we've been banging that drum for years and most things aren't really getting any more multi threaded.

I was also upgrading from a 2500K so I was content enough just to gain HT, not sure if coming from a 2600K would've changed my logic...

P.S. If gaming is your main concern you'll be far FAR better off with a GPU upgrade first.

I'm in the same boat as you. Currently leaning toward the 5820K for the extra cores and lanes, but buying something that's already a year old bugs me a little bit.

See when I original bought my current system i7 920 it current gen, the whole build cost me 780$ not including the warranty i bought from microcenter which made it like 860$+

This build will cost me roughly the same, if i got 6700k it current highend. 5820k build will be less expensive but will be last gen.

My pc used 95% for just gaming other 5% is internet related. and OCing just any my thing.

P.S. If gaming is your main concern you'll be far FAR better off with a GPU upgrade first.

Im not chaning my GPU till pascal at the earliest. any game i play that has frame rate issues are soloing from my cpu cores be maxed out like Swtor maxes out my cores and have terrible min fps, gpu is barely seeing 20% usage in those situations, when FPS is 60fps cores still still seeing same usage but gpu is seeing 50-60% usage which i guess could be cause how terrible the engine is and it being DX 9 too. Skyrim has frame dps here and there but mostly 60fps and when dip happens a core is being maxed ( that is with 4k textures for Male/Female NPC and player characters and High res hair textures even then 1.2gb is max vram i seen used. Unless i max out AA to extremes and use AO nothing is maxing out gpu use on my end. and I dont go past 4x AA cause i dont see much difference beyond that and most the time I dont use AO cause i dont like how look most the time, some times i cant even see the diffrence but cause perf hit. I also still play at 1080p and 60fps with vsync.

Last edited:
You might be able to upgrade your current pc to a 6 core xeon but they start out at low clocks and need overclocking (but cheap and worth it.)

What motherboard do you have? Might be able to use one (X5550/x5560/x5570/x5580)

EVGA X58 SLI LE, am i not stick with this build IF do means I stuck with 6gb ram, after going threw 6+ ram kits nd trying to upgrade 12 gb twice and wind up losing losing 1 stick ram from being usable.

Current set I have is only set i found that runs correct speed and dont windup losing 1 stick of ram. Bios is up to date and no amount of changing bios setting ever fixed it. either there something wrong with CPU memory controler or this is due to few pins on motherboard that are not completely straight.

And like i keep tell people at guru3d, im not comfortable OC let alone want to deal with the trial and error of oc'ing

50/50 change I go with 5820k or 6700k but much higher chance i wont want to be bother with ocing.

Sucks to hear that, I also have an evga motherboard with unresolved problems and keep getting sent broken rma boards. I would sell it and run.

I would say get a 6700k then. There's also a deal on ddr4 today @ newegg. Vengeance lpx 16gb @ $90 with promo code or $189 for 32gb set (but they are bright red.)

If it matters I am in the same boat as you as well and it sounds to me like you are a candidate for the 6700k. If you mentioned anything related to using the system as a server(plex or file), doing video encoding or running virtual machines I would have recommend the 5820, but nothing you do requires extra cores at the cost of a greater TDP.

Someone mentioned buying generation old hardware. Technically its not generation old yet because Boardwell E is still 6 months away and Skylake E is maybe a year away. So is it fair to say its last gen? On the plus side, at least the hardware had a chance to mature. But to be honest, reading some of the motherboard reviews makes me wonder if thats even accurate.

I am leaning towards 6700k as like the idea of lower watts and more power, and most

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233833
Bought that ram cause better speced and cheaper then what microcenter has, special with 10$ off.

Also have my Define s come from new egg to see it 20$ cheaper

I curious though X99 in dual channel mode gona equal to that on z170 bandwith yes?

MB/CPU will most likey be bought at microcenter as just come out cheaper along with hsf

I am leaning towards 6700k as like the idea of lower watts and more power, and most

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233833
Bought that ram cause better speced and cheaper then what microcenter has, special with 10$ off.

Also have my Define s come from new egg to see it 20$ cheaper

I curious though X99 in dual channel mode gona equal to that on z170 bandwith yes?

MB/CPU will most likey be bought at microcenter as just come out cheaper along with hsf
Yes the RAM will work the same. I'd personally go with the six core if I were you. I think in the very near future having the extra cores will be super beneficial in gaming.

in reguards to DX12 games im sure, but i will to bet DX9-11 will still be used for years to come, where it wont be so beneficial, and I not really keen on the 140 watts and more heat it gona produce, my room already hottest room in house.

Right now it could still go either way, STP is still king, and to get similar stp on 5820k i gona have to OC well past 4.3ghz which i not keen on doing

I was facing the same decision on both of my machines at home a few weeks ago. Finally, the biggest deciding factor for me was that I do a LOT of video encoding on both machines and even though the 6700K is fantastic for a quad core at doing encoding as well as gaming, it can't make up for 6 Haswell cores when encoding. As for gaming, the difference between a 6700K and 5820K @4.0GHz+ is next to nothing at any resolution above 640x480. So, it was a clear decision for me, I lose nothing on gaming with a 5820K and gain a LOT in encoding speed.

It didn't help that the 6700K was not readily available. The motherboards and CPU's are almost as expensive as the X99 platform and 5820K CPU. It felt like I would be saving about $50-100 on a 6700K setup vs. a 5820K setup which isn't much at all when you're talking about high end components, especially CPU's which typically get upgraded 3-4 years or more unlike GPU's which get upgraded yearly for many people.

I went with two 5820K setups and I've quite happy with them running over 4.3GHz.

I was facing the same decision on both of my machines at home a few weeks ago. Finally, the biggest deciding factor for me was that I do a LOT of video encoding on both machines and even though the 6700K is fantastic for a quad core at doing encoding as well as gaming, it can't make up for 6 Haswell cores when encoding. As for gaming, the difference between a 6700K and 5820K @4.0GHz+ is next to nothing at any resolution above 640x480. So, it was a clear decision for me, I lose nothing on gaming with a 5820K and gain a LOT in encoding speed.

It didn't help that the 6700K was not readily available. The motherboards and CPU's are almost as expensive as the X99 platform and 5820K CPU. It felt like I would be saving about $50-100 on a 6700K setup vs. a 5820K setup which isn't much at all when you're talking about high end components, especially CPU's which typically get upgraded 3-4 years or more unlike GPU's which get upgraded yearly for many people.

I went with two 5820K setups and I've quite happy with them running over 4.3GHz.
I had a similar decision a while ago when getting a3930k. It was that or a 4770k and I went with the 3930k because of the extra cores.

Same logic here. When the clocks are close the 6700K is marginally better at single- and lightly-threaded loads. When the 5820K leads as in heavily-threaded loads, it simply walks all over the 6700K.

That said I think the 5820K is not relevant for someone interested in only gaming and not interested in overclocking.

5820k is a great buy for OCers. If you're not overclocking don't even consider it. 3.3Ghz is paltry in comparison to 6700k in most things. If you're going to clock the 5820k to similar clock rates then that's a different story. 6700k will still be faster in tasks that require 4 cores or less, while 5820k will beat it in heavily multi-threaded apps and lots of multi-tasking.

I think personaly the 6700k is a better oc because of the memory options. A 6700k on desktop @ 4.5 or above with some decent ram sure will be snappier. Encoding 5820 will be faster.

A 6700k on desktop @ 4.5 or above with some decent ram sure will be snappier.
Without a huge clock difference I highly doubt any difference between the two will be reliably perceivable in day-to-day desktop usage.

Meaning if you took these and put them into otherwise identical systems and enclosures, no one would be able to tell the difference until they start actually stressing the processors with variably-threaded workloads.

But yes, the IMC of Skylake is stronger even when both are run dual-channel. There is no substantive proof to indicate that supra-2666MHz DDR4 clocks confer benefits in desktop scenarios (e.g. moving about the OS, browsing), however.

Most of the RAM benchmarks I've seen so far show minimal gains past DDR4-2400 in desktop scenarios. File archiving with things like Winrar and 7zip will show increased performance with higher than 2400 memory clocks.

I think personaly the 6700k is a better oc because of the memory options. A 6700k on desktop @ 4.5 or above with some decent ram sure will be snappier. Encoding 5820 will be faster.

What memory options? If you care about memory bandwidth -- which you shouldn't -- the X99 platform supports quad channel memory. You can use much more inexpensive memory and have way more bandwidth with the 5820k.

What memory options? If you care about memory bandwidth -- which you shouldn't -- the X99 platform supports quad channel memory. You can use much more inexpensive memory and have way more bandwidth with the 5820k.

I am just guessing but I think he was saying that typically people have had issues with the faster RAM on x99 boards while 3200mhz is not hard to get working on a Z170 motherboard.

What I would like to see is some stock encoding comparisons of 5820k vs 6700k

I know in the VM world I have seen it many times that a request is put in for more cores and and we had to put them on a slower CPU to give them the higher core count, the end result was a drop in performance and a request to be moved back.

at the same clock speed the 5820k is the better option, but I don't think its fair to say that it walks all over the 6700k.

What I would like to see is some stock encoding comparisons of 5820k vs 6700k

at the same clock speed the 5820k is the better option, but I don't think its fair to say that it walks all over the 6700k.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1543?vs=1320

It doesn't at stock, but when you compensate for the 21% gap in clock speeds the 5820K's multi-threaded lead would certainly run away (nevermind closing the gap against the 6700K elsewhere).

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't get caught up about DX12 and possible utilization of more cores.

IMO, by the time 6-8 cores is "mandatory" or really mainstream for gaming both the 5820k and 6700k will be long obsolete.

If you think you will do ANY encoding, streaming, multi-media, etc that would benefit from the extra cores, go 5820k and if you overclock it to ~4.4ghz+ you will get 99.9% of the gaming performance of a slightly more overclocked 6700k anyways.

You really can't lose.

Without a huge clock difference I highly doubt any difference between the two will be reliably perceivable in day-to-day desktop usage.

Meaning if you took these and put them into otherwise identical systems and enclosures, no one would be able to tell the difference until they start actually stressing the processors with variably-threaded workloads.

But yes, the IMC of Skylake is stronger even when both are run dual-channel. There is no substantive proof to indicate that supra-2666MHz DDR4 clocks confer benefits in desktop scenarios (e.g. moving about the OS, browsing), however.

Without a stopwatch you wouldn't even be able to tell them apart during heavy workloads. We just purchased an X99 system with 128GB RAM and the E5-1650 V3 cpu. And my colleagues using it tell me that it doesn't feel any faster than the I7 980X it was supposed to replace.

So are there 6-8 core skylake processors coming? I was at one time thinking I would be upgrading this winter to skylake, but the intel offering is really disappointing for me. I wanted a min of 6/12 cores/hyperthreading processor and the newest chipset, but it looks as if it's not on the schedule this year. I want something good for gaming, but also good for encoding and rendering so the more cores the better. But like another poster said, at this stage, I really don't want to buy "old" technology. Yeah I know it's not "old" but if I wanted to upgrade 6 months ago then I would have gone for a 5930k, but now I want the newer processors and MB chipsets. ;)

So are there 6-8 core skylake processors coming?

Yes, Skylake-E on the HEDT platform (X190 or whatever it's going to be called) in around a year from now or maybe longer.

X99 still has one more processor cycle to go through before retirement.

I'm in the same boat as you. Currently leaning toward the 5820K for the extra cores and lanes, but buying something that's already a year old bugs me a little bit.

It's all psychological. Just think of it in terms of switching upgrade cycles. When you move to the E platform then you upgrade every E release. You'll go one year (the following year) without having the latest and greatest architecture, but really it won't matter considering what you're running under the hood. Only if you need it though. There are benefits to both. I think for most people if they have to ask then the lastest 4/8 is their best bet. You'll know when you need more.

I just finished my 5820k build and it seems to be relatively stable on air (True Spirit 140 BW Rev .A - great heatsync btw- I added a 2nd fan to it) @ 4.3GHz. I can probably get it higher if I fool around with the voltages a bit.

Shockingly I am able to get my 19200 ram up to 3200 on 1.2v- and it's stable! Amazing! This is cheapie DDR4 too.

I am happy with this build, but if my Z77 motherboard hadn't died I wouldn't have bothered- it's not much faster than the 3770k I had @ 4.4GHz.

Either platform is a great upgrade from what you have, I went from a 920@ 3.5ghz to a 4790k and I can very easily tell the difference between the CPU's. The added bonus of Sata 6gb/s and usb 3.0 was what really pushed me over the edge to upgrading as I did not have those on my old board.

Definitely not going to mess around with an i5. I can tell the difference between a 4c/4t and a 4c/8t just by messing around with it doing daily multitasking

The nice thing about the MSI X99 boards is the ability to go 3-way SLI with the 5820k. You still need that if you game @ 4k. I plan on adding a 3rd 980Ti.:)

Since the 5820k system is cheaper, I would just buy that one. You can always make up clockspeed through OCing, you can't add extra cores to the 6700k if you decide you want them later.

Back