6700k Itching to upgrade (I'm using a 2080Ti@1440p and do some 4k video editing) - 3900x or keep on rocking my 6700k?

Ready4Dis

[H]ard|Gawd
Are you guys sure GPU encoding still sucks? I find that as long as I keep the bitrate close to the original file that it looks nearly identical? It's when I use a pre-configured profile is when the video quality degrades. Youtube degrades video quality more than anything and Facebook drops 4k down to 720p! But my local rendered files look pretty much as good as the originals using GPU encoding and sticking to a similar bitrate. Maybe that was a problem on older GPUs and software? Anyway, real time smooth high quality 4k/x265 previews on a high quality video editor under $100 (I pay around $50 to upgrade from one version to the next) without having to make proxies is a game changer for me!
Sucks is a relative term. The quality is better than it was way back when, but you still need higher bitrates on GPU to maintain as good of quality as CPU. The difference has closed a lot though, so the speed benefit is nice in situations where you don't mind slightly larger files or slightly lower IQ. For video editing in real time, GPU is best. For a final encode of something probably best to use CPU still depending on if you value time, HDD space or video quality the most. It's not as black and white as it used to be, I'm looking to s itch my Plex serve over to real time GPU transcoding for supplying video, but my original video source will still be from CPU. Right now a real time transcoding takes a bit of oomph from my CPU that would be nice to offload (not that I do so often or even really notice any difference).

CraigHB

Limp Gawd
That there... you know shows the lower efficiency of gpu encoding. GPU encoding is fast for sure but it doesn't look as good so if you are going for quality you lose on size reduction.
I agree, NVENC is faster, but software encoding provides better quality and smaller files. That's to be expected, in general hardware encoders shoot for speed at the cost of some quality and bit rate by design.

Frank_Fuster

Limp Gawd
I gotta thank the OP for this topic. I am literally in the same boat but with a 6800k. Based on what I've read here, I think I have more than enough juice int he tank to wait until the AMD 4 series vs Intel Ice Lake (or whatever) juicy battlethat will be unfolding by end of year or 2021.

somebrains

Gawd
I gotta thank the OP for this topic. I am literally in the same boat but with a 6800k. Based on what I've read here, I think I have more than enough juice int he tank to wait until the AMD 4 series vs Intel Ice Lake (or whatever) juicy battlethat will be unfolding by end of year or 2021.
Frankly you'd wait to see how 8c console affects game Dev. Will they use cores for non gaming like enabling better streaming/recording/etc or will we see Ray tracing and +6 physical cores being pushed?

Work side it's a wash. If you are making $ you buy the tools that do the job best and increase invoice velocity. Luckily what I do they're opening up more towards a gear allowance rather than handing me a MacBook Pro and a Yubikey.

Ready4Dis

[H]ard|Gawd
If it's any consolation, I just ordered a b550 + 3700x for my son's desktop... He's currently on a 6600k. Expecting a pretty big difference for CPU limited work loads (blender, Photoshop) and a bit higher frame rates (and lower CPU usage) @ 1080p (just got him an msi Samsung144hz qled 27" curved freesync gaming monitor, 1080p 1ms) but with his RX 570 he'll probably GPU limit pretty quickly. Was going to put my 1600 in and take the 3700x but realized b550 only support zen2 and up and 3300x are still MIA. Guess he'll have a better PC than me for a bit.

Last edited:

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
My son has 3600 and 5600xt. Smokes 1080p like with ease.

When you say video editing are talking Filmora low level stuff or are we talking bigboy BlackMagic stuff? If Davinci then the fastest everything you can afford is necessary.