6700K in stock (US)

Was just about to post this; so dumb that they are forcing you to certain mobos...

You may feel its dumb, but its really smart from the business aspect of it. With the short supply, they have an opportunity to make another sale or two by bundling instead of taking the chance of you purchasing a board elsewhere.

Atleast they are offering some quality boards and a little bit of a combo discount. Not really a horrible deal.

You may feel its dumb, but its really smart from the business aspect of it. With the short supply, they have an opportunity to make another sale or two by bundling instead of taking the chance of you purchasing a board elsewhere.

Atleast they are offering some quality boards and a little bit of a combo discount. Not really a horrible deal.

I would understand it more, if it were any mobo combo, but it's not.

I know I'm bragging a bit, and maybe not even in the right thread... but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post it so indulge me. :D

It's entirely possible that I may need a change of underwear right now.

For two reasons:

1. OMG TEH SEXY!!!
2. The Newegg shipping box was beat to hell, and the motherboard box is actually slightly bent (!!). Took the motherboard out and examined it really quick and it seems undamaged. Still, Fedex must have given this box the Ace Ventura treatment....

I know I'm bragging a bit, and maybe not even in the right thread... but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post it so indulge me. :D

It's entirely possible that I may need a change of underwear right now.

For two reasons:

1. OMG TEH SEXY!!!
2. The Newegg shipping box was beat to hell, and the motherboard box is actually slightly bent (!!). Took the motherboard out and examined it really quick and it seems undamaged. Still, Fedex must have given this box the Ace Ventura treatment....

well hurry up and put it together, I am interested to see if your install is smoother than mine since I had exact same stuff.

I had to up the VCCIO and agent voltage to get RAM solid at 3000

I had to up the VCCIO and agent voltage to get RAM solid at 3000

Did you update the BIOS to the latest release? Supposedly the reason the RAM won't work at rated speeds is because of BIOS issues and it's either already been corrected or will be shortly.

One of the features of this board is something Asus calls 'USB BIOS Flashback' where you can flash the BIOS without a CPU or memory even installed - I might give that a try simply because I'm curious about it.

I'm running the z170 deluxe and have the gskill ripjaws v 3000mhz running at their rated xmp profile. using 0701 bios if that helps.

also, if you are having sli problems, NVidia's newest drivers just fixed this problem! Thanks NVidia!

I ran into the same issue with NE. I didn't want the MSI M7 or ROG Ranger and didn't like the choice in ram with each board.

I chatted with NE and they said there are over a dozen combos but you can only get access to them by using the "add to cart" from the CPU page.

Sure enough when NE had the I7's in stock on Friday I was able to pick the M5 board combo by adding the CPU first. Going to the standard I7 / MB combo page still only listed the 2 previously mentioned MB/CPU/Ram deal. Going through the CPU page I noticed combos with all of the ASUS boards and the Gigabyte 7 board.

Actually, that page still doesn't list ALL the combos available, the Hero combo has never shown up there for one. They never did an ASUS Z170-A combo regardless, but they'll soon get a shiny new Hero returned to them...

Last edited:
Did you update the BIOS to the latest release? Supposedly the reason the RAM won't work at rated speeds is because of BIOS issues and it's either already been corrected or will be shortly.

One of the features of this board is something Asus calls 'USB BIOS Flashback' where you can flash the BIOS without a CPU or memory even installed - I might give that a try simply because I'm curious about it.

yeah I have Version 0508 which is the newest one for the Ranger, maybe a future update will fix it.

I just noticed in device manager I have a missing driver for "PCI Simple Communications Device" and I would have sworn I loaded all the drivers. Time oi go figure this out.
Update - It was the Intel Management Engine Interface driver, must have skipped that one.

Last edited:
Actually, that page still doesn't list ALL the combos available, the Hero combo has never shown up there for one. They never did an ASUS Z170-A combo regardless, but they'll soon get a shiny new Hero returned to them...

Odd, when I ordered my M5 the Asus Z170-A was right below it. I was torn between both boards since they had similar pricing.

Looks like the combos are changing. The Gigabyte G7 combo is different now.

just buy whatever combo and return the board. that's what i did
they'll soon get a shiny new Hero returned to them...

I notice that many motherboards on Newegg now state "Please note that this product is non-returnable and non-refundable." That is pretty shitty IMO. Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188177

I wouldn't want to buy a board, especially an expensive one, knowing that I couldn't return it even if I came across a legitimate issue. Does this non-returnable/non-refundable bullshit not also apply to combos?

I notice that many motherboards on Newegg now state "Please note that this product is non-returnable and non-refundable." That is pretty shitty IMO. Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188177

I wouldn't want to buy a board, especially an expensive one, knowing that I couldn't return it even if I came across a legitimate issue. Does this non-returnable/non-refundable bullshit not also apply to combos?

I checked the Gigabyte, ASUS, ASrock, and MSI boards from most of the combos and all are listed as returnable. If the board is returnable then you can return one from a combo. You will lose any special combo pricing though. So if you saved $35 with the combo expect NE to subtract that amount from your refund.

Just avoid the 1 egg EVGA board.

I got an email from Newegg today asking if I'd answer a customers question on the processor. I was interested to see what it was so I hit sure. Sales question in regards to the motherboard combo return.

I was tempted to make a snide comment to make newegg look bad for not vetting non-technical questions before wasting other customers time

Gone already at B&H. Preorder only.

My Ranger combo from Newegg should be here tomorrow. Whatever. The MB is better than what I would have bought anyway and the discount put it within $30 of what I would have paid.

Speaking of the Ranger, anyone know anything about the audio chipset on it? ASUS makes a big deal of listing all the separate parts that are "more better" but is the audio chipset itself any good?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the 6700K appears to be in stock at B&H for $369.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1176280-REG/intel_bx80662i76700k_6th_gen_i7_6700k.html

it's a $20 premium over Amazon, but I was a bit sick of waiting. Have all my parts here and ready to go except for the motherboard, so now the pressure is on to figure out which one I want to buy.

Not any more. My order with TigerDirect has been "at drop shipper" for 7 days now. Starting to think they may have pulled a fast one with the "In Stock" notification.

Not any more. My order with TigerDirect has been "at drop shipper" for 7 days now. Starting to think they may have pulled a fast one with the "In Stock" notification.

Regarding Tiger Direct... What a bunch of asshats and I now know why they have such bad online ratings. Man what has happened to Tiger Direct, man have they fallen to below layers and politicians.

Placed my order with 2 day shipping. It was suppose to be delivered the following Wed. by Thursday it finally got a tracking number but............ Only to be stuck at awaiting pickup via UPS. CC was charged, received the intel offer for some sweepstakes and has been sitting waiting for pickup with tracking number for close to a week. Called several times (on hold for an hour, min. each time)

They said they where putting in a request to track the order to fine out what was going on. Told me they would contact me with more info EOB this past Monday. I check this am only to find the order cancelled and refund pending.

Call again on hold for 75min. Because they value me as a customer they cancelled my order and requested a refund. CS rep tells me that they can transfer me to sales where I can reorder the same item again. I said why do I have to reorder a part that has been stuck at their warehouse for a week. Just resend me a new item as I don't want to go to the back of the Q.

While I'm fighting with the CS rep, I'm checking their site for the 6700K again. Funny it states item is not in stock. CS guy says let me transfer you to sales where you can reorder. I insisted that they don't have them in stock. CS guy finally confuses, oh yeah you're right they are not in stock can we order you something close to what you wanted.

Basically because I was asking for a supervisor to figure out where was the part they said was shipped and I was charged for he tried to brush me off to sales to reorder a part that was not in stock...

In the long run told the supervisor that :
1) they need to hire more customer service reps as the wait time is too long
2) Their online chat does not work
3) The other 2 CS reps who where suppose to call me back did not
4) I now know why TD is the joke of the internet now a days
5) I will not be spending any money with them in the future.

Supervisor said they can transfer me to sales where I can order something similar.... Don't waste your time with TG I now see why they closed all their stores around the country.

Regarding Tiger Direct... What a bunch of asshats and I now know why they have such bad online ratings. Man what has happened to Tiger Direct, man have they fallen to below layers and politicians.

Placed my order with 2 day shipping. It was suppose to be delivered the following Wed. by Thursday it finally got a tracking number but............ Only to be stuck at awaiting pickup via UPS. CC was charged, received the intel offer for some sweepstakes and has been sitting waiting for pickup with tracking number for close to a week. Called several times (on hold for an hour, min. each time)

They said they where putting in a request to track the order to fine out what was going on. Told me they would contact me with more info EOB this past Monday. I check this am only to find the order cancelled and refund pending.

Call again on hold for 75min. Because they value me as a customer they cancelled my order and requested a refund. CS rep tells me that they can transfer me to sales where I can reorder the same item again. I said why do I have to reorder a part that has been stuck at their warehouse for a week. Just resend me a new item as I don't want to go to the back of the Q.

While I'm fighting with the CS rep, I'm checking their site for the 6700K again. Funny it states item is not in stock. CS guy says let me transfer you to sales where you can reorder. I insisted that they don't have them in stock. CS guy finally confuses, oh yeah you're right they are not in stock can we order you something close to what you wanted.

Basically because I was asking for a supervisor to figure out where was the part they said was shipped and I was charged for he tried to brush me off to sales to reorder a part that was not in stock...

In the long run told the supervisor that :
1) they need to hire more customer service reps as the wait time is too long
2) Their online chat does not work
3) The other 2 CS reps who where suppose to call me back did not
4) I now know why TD is the joke of the internet now a days
5) I will not be spending any money with them in the future.

Supervisor said they can transfer me to sales where I can order something similar.... Don't waste your time with TG I now see why they closed all their stores around the country.

Yeah... I am on hold right now to cancel. Only took 17 minutes to get through, and then she muted me for 15 while she got "cancellation authorization". Now I have a "cancellation authorization reference number" that may take several days to process. What a joke.

She straight up told me that sometimes items aren't really in stock, regardless of what the website says, and they hope for people's patience. I gotta say, if I am paying 100% more for shipping than your competitors, AND you are charging $80CDN more than the competition, you'd better at least have the product first...

Foolishly, I didn't google their name when I made the order, even though their 90's-esque website should have tipped me off. They have quite the reputation for this exact thing.

In other news, mainstream Skylake processors have begun selling in Europe.

After I ordered my GTX980 from Tigerdirect and getting a similar experience, I won't be buying from them on any "high demand" item.

Odd, when I ordered my M5 the Asus Z170-A was right below it. I was torn between both boards since they had similar pricing.

Looks like the combos are changing. The Gigabyte G7 combo is different now.

Weird, I've never seen it combo'd, maybe I didn't look hard enough. I saw the Deluxe and all the ROG boards, basically everything $200+. If anyone sees it, post the link, might be useful for others. I did see the Z170-A / 6600K combo tho.

Did you incur any restocking fees?

Could always use a Premier trial to get around that (I am).

Last edited:

It seemed rather fishy to me that they've had them in stock for way longer periods of time than the Egg, even despite the $50 gouging... Between your post and rudedog's horror story I guess now we know what's really up, what a scam.

Speaking of the Ranger, anyone know anything about the audio chipset on it? ASUS makes a big deal of listing all the separate parts that are "more better" but is the audio chipset itself any good?

From what I've read the SupremeFX audio is just a Realtec codec supplimented with fancier higher quality components. Asus hypes the Nichicon caps and headphone amp capability, but really all it amounts to is your basic Realtek audio codec with a nice pretty lighted section on the motherboard. Lots of pretty software to look at with EQ profiles and whatnot, but it is what it is.... I might check it out but I'm probably going to stick with my trusty Sound Blaster Z since I know it will sound better and probably have much less bloated software (can't believe I'm saying that about a Creative product!).

Bleh, I placed my Newegg order at like 3:30pm EST on Monday... It went to the packaging stage within the hour, and it's been saying "shipped" throughout Tuesday... But all the UPS tracking number shows is that the label was created.

Hopefully it actually goes out early on Wednesday or I'm not gonna be getting it this week... Refund button is already up on the order so I guess I can start returning half a combo to them before they've even really shipped it to me. :D

Hence why I haven't done ANY business with this company since 2008 or thereabouts. I have told them so much as well and they ignore it. Amazon at this point has to be eating their lunch over their shitty return policy.

It seems it is only some EVGA boards that have this policy so I would guess that it is part of the relationship that newegg has with them.

I can tell you from experience that EVGA has very good support and they will get you a replacement that works if you have an issue, but yeah if you just wanted to return for refund it would seem you are screwed. Luckily I didn't see any bundles that had this issue.

Finally got my Hero from Newegg yesterday. Pulled my P67Pro and 2600k out of my case, cleaned up the interior and put in the Hero Z170, 6700k and shiny new G-Skill 3200 ram. Booted no problems. Forgot my Windows installation media at work, so will reinstall and start playing with it tonight.

Finally got my Hero from Newegg yesterday. Pulled my P67Pro and 2600k out of my case, cleaned up the interior and put in the Hero Z170, 6700k and shiny new G-Skill 3200 ram. Booted no problems. Forgot my Windows installation media at work, so will reinstall and start playing with it tonight.

Too funny. I have a Hero, 6700k, and gskill 3200 arriving today. Replacing a P67 and 2600k as well.

Too funny. I have a Hero, 6700k, and gskill 3200 arriving today. Replacing a P67 and 2600k as well.

If you guys don't mind post how well you like your setup as I would be doing nearly the same upgrade but from a 2500k.

I'll post some SSD test when I build mine, I'm putting a 512GB samsung sm951 in the m.2 slot. Afaik up till now most motherboards didn't have 4 pci-e lanes for the m.2 slot so to get pull speed people had to use an add-in card. I'll be interested to see if the m.2 slot in my RANGER VII will be equal to the same drive in an add-in card.

Updated the bios at lunch, G-Skill ran XMP @ 3200 no issues. Clean install 8.1, will working on overclocking tonight. I will admit, I've not had to actively overclock anything since my 2600k and that was set it and forget it half a decade ago. The amount of settings and options in this new ROG Z170 bios is mind boggling.

Last edited:
Many X99 boards had x4 lane M.2 slots, few if any Z97 boards did AFAIK. I'm more curious about the temps I'll see with the SM951 than the performance which I'm sure will be fine.

It will probably run Windows without issue. It's pretty good about detecting big hardware changes like that.

Updated the bios at lunch, G-Skill ran XMP @ 3200 no issues. Clean install 8.1, will working on overclocking tonight. I will admit, I've not had to actively overclock anything since my 2600k and that was set it and forget it half a decade ago. The amount of settings and options in this new ROG Z170 bios is mind boggling.

Good to know. I downloaded the bios update as well to install. I'm going to try upgrading to windows 10 with it. Hope I don't regret it.

Good to know. I downloaded the bios update as well to install. I'm going to try upgrading to windows 10 with it. Hope I don't regret it.

Are the kinks worked out of 10 yet?

It will probably run Windows without issue. It's pretty good about detecting big hardware changes like that.

I was hoping so also, but it came up with boot manager not found. I could have try to repair it, but I figured a clean slate was worth some extra time.

How did you guys come to the conclusion to get the 6700k over the 5820k? I keep going back and forth.

Back