6700K in stock (US)

Unofficially I am hearing that these will not be around until 2nd week september.

There are still some out there on EU sites for $450 if you are in a rush

This is really starting to tick me off.

Like you guys, I'm having to consider returning the MB and 32GB of DDR4 since... really... I have no way of even testing it to make sure it works inside the return period.

And beyond that, the warranty period is ticking away and I'm not even using this stuff.

I can't believe the online retailers are all that happy with this situation. They're going to start eating a lot of returns any day now as the early MB/RAM buyers give up.

I know there are a limited number of us waiting on i7s, and many purchased the i5 that was available but it's still not going to be a insignificant number consider the dollar amount of the returns.

And how many will try to return even more than just a MB/RAM set? What if you have the whole system worth of parts sitting there?

Intel really should have coughed up an estimate for availability rather than allowing all the other hardware to go up for sale implying the CPUs would be a day or two later.

This is one really weird launch. Especially the official silence from Intel.

ahhhh I dont know what I want to do.

I almost bought a 6600k, then I said screw that and was ready to get a 5820k then I said screw that and now I'm just stressed out lol

that preorder looks interesting

I'm getting impatient also , but what I'm really waiting for to is the new Maximus VIII ROG. Till then My Ivy is doing more than great and I can afford to wait :D

One of these review sites just needs to do a definitive 6700k vs 5820k shootout so we can get on with our lives LOL.

I would take that ETA with a huge grain of salt.

yeah I bet,

I pre-ordered just as a show of faith to getting the 6700k. I can always cancel if MC gets one in stock sooner.

It made me feel a tiny bit better, until they change those dates to something crazy and I will be stressed again

If it helps, I've ordered from ShopBLT in the past and they've been solid. Had to call to tweak an order and got an actual human being who helped.

Their checkout process is kinda ghetto... And it first quoted $50 to ship via USPS to Puerto Rico (wtf, ever hear of a flat rate box?) but then went to $17 shipping and $8 handling (srsly?) when selecting USPS Priority.

Not sure I wanna bother paying $25 in S&H to pre-order at a place you'd think shouldn't get stock priority over Newegg/Amazon (where I get free shipping)... What do CONUS addresses get charged if you pick Priority instead of free/ground?

Also, damn you Intel.

Their checkout process is kinda ghetto... And it first quoted $50 to ship via USPS to Puerto Rico (wtf, ever hear of a flat rate box?) but then went to $17 shipping and $8 handling (srsly?) when selecting USPS Priority.

Not sure I wanna bother paying $25 in S&H to pre-order at a place you'd think shouldn't get stock priority over Newegg/Amazon (where I get free shipping)... What do CONUS addresses get charged if you pick Priority instead of free/ground?

Also, damn you Intel.
says $25.76 for priority, I selected the Free ground shipping which oddly now says$13 if I select it now

One of these review sites just needs to do a definitive 6700k vs 5820k shootout so we can get on with our lives LOL.

as long as they do it with them at the same clock speed. or highest average overclock at decent voltage like sub 1.35v

Forget skylake, 5820k is 283 at staples after 110% pm to microcenter or less with coupons. X99 boards are easily in the 150-170 range often.Any 5820k will do 4 ghz nice n cool and be good for 4-5 years to come.

as long as they do it with them at the same clock speed. or highest average overclock at decent voltage like sub 1.35v

I would like to see it both ways. A 6700k should clock higher than a 5820k. So while seeing a clock for clock performance is important, I would like to also see how it scales as the clock speed increases.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else right now... I ordered my sticks of ram on 7/28 and my motherboard on 8/9. I'm really struggling to not just drop an i5 in my system.

We need a i7 6700k support group lol

The reviews I have seen show a clear difference between 6600k and 6700k in minimum frame rates.

This is one area reviews need to get better at, dont just tell me the average of the best point, show me a graph over time in a real game that tell same minimums and maximums and average. Does it stutter, does it not feel as smooth as some other processor.. Synthetics are worthless

Yes it will work for most of us, but why settle. I would rather spend $450 for the chip from Germany than settle for something lesser. In fact the only reason I didnt order one from Germany is fear that UPS will play rugby with my processor before sending to me which is sometimes the case with EU shipments to the US.

I am holding fast to just waiting, my current system works well enough, RAm might get cheaper or new modules I can't get may show up in the stores. I have everything but MB CPU and RAM.

stay strong!

I would like to see it both ways. A 6700k should clock higher than a 5820k. So while seeing a clock for clock performance is important, I would like to also see how it scales as the clock speed increases.

Yeah I think a benchmark with average safe/high overclock is a good bet. So the 5820k at 4.4 and the 6700k at say 4.8.

Skylake 10% better IPC + with 10% higher clock (just as estimates), but Haswell with 50% more beef.

Last edited:
Yeah I think a benchmark with average safe/high overclock is a good bet. So the 5820k at 4.4 and the 6700k at say 4.8.

Skylake 10% better IPC + with 10% higher clock (just as estimates), but Haswell with 50% more beef.

I am okay with same clock for each, digital foundry did a great video comparing 6600k and 6700k stock and overclocked all in one video running multiple games with same video card

I just want to see the same thing for 6700k and 5820k, but honestly I doub the outcome would change my mind.

With past chipsets it appeared to me that you always had to chose between higher RAM speeds or higher CPU clock and CPU clock always wins, it just does more for you. With Z170 it appears that RAM speed is no longer so closely linked with CPU settings so you can actually run that high sped memory at its correct speed while also putting a serious overclock on the CPU.

Z170 boards just seem better to me in that respect. I am not claiming one is really better than the other, I have made my choice and will stand by it for my own reasons

I gave up and ordered a 6700k from Germany yesterday. ~$450 shipped, but then at this point I'd have ordered rush shipping (and maybe tax) once there was stock here anyways, so I can't count all the $100 as extra cost. I noticed the website says out of stock this morning so fingers crossed mine still ships today.

I already have all my other parts (complete build) and as others have said, I'd be nice to know if anything is DOA before the return period is over. The $50-75 price premium I'll end up paying is worth it to know the other $2k in parts are working. Now if the CPU is DOA, then I guess I'm just really screwed :eek:

Hope you realize that is the price for a 5820k and a motherboard. :rolleyes:

That's a bit of a stretch. Just looked at newegg, the 5820k is $389 and their cheapest motherboard is $162. So that's $550, and that's without even bothering to see if that motherboard is worth buying.

The $450 is also my to the door price, depending on where I order stateside I often end up paying tax and or shipping.

I know some people are going the x99 route with the I7 shortages, and more power to them if they decide it's what suits their needs. But there's no need to put other people down for their choices, especially with false price comparisons.

5820k is 283 or lower at staples after 110% pm to mc, takes 5 mins via chat. Add 170 for a decent mobo.

5820k is 283 or lower at staples after 110% pm to mc, takes 5 mins via chat. Add 170 for a decent mobo.

Are you actually close enough to a MC that you could go to MC if staples said no?

Up in Seattle the closest MC is like 1000mi away. Also when I did a live chat from the website they wanted me to buy it first, then they'd do the price match. I didn't want to have the distance be a sticking point, so I didn't pull the trigger.

You are still not being nice though, he already made the purchase why try to make him feel as if he shouldn't have done that.

People on this board will spend tons of extra money color matching RAM and water cooling fittings and he should care that the chip he wanted now is $100 more. I for one am not the budget build kind of person and I would have made the same purchase I was not concerned with the cost, I was only worried about the vendor not actually having the stock to ship.

I for one am tired of people pushing the 5820k, if that is what YOU want go buy one, I know the prices I even have an MC 20 minutes from work, but I dont want it and obviously he didn't either.

I don't think you realize how mean stuff like this can come off as. :(

Lets try to be happy for everyone:D

I gave up and ordered a 6700k from Germany yesterday. ~$450 shipped, but then at this point I'd have ordered rush shipping (and maybe tax) once there was stock here anyways, so I can't count all the $100 as extra cost. I noticed the website says out of stock this morning so fingers crossed mine still ships today.

I already have all my other parts (complete build) and as others have said, I'd be nice to know if anything is DOA before the return period is over. The $50-75 price premium I'll end up paying is worth it to know the other $2k in parts are working. Now if the CPU is DOA, then I guess I'm just really screwed :eek:

Let us know when it gets here and how long it took.

You are still not being nice though, he already made the purchase why try to make him feel as if he shouldn't have done that.

People on this board will spend tons of extra money color matching RAM and water cooling fittings and he should care that the chip he wanted now is $100 more. I for one am not the budget build kind of person and I would have made the same purchase I was not concerned with the cost, I was only worried about the vendor not actually having the stock to ship.

I for one am tired of people pushing the 5820k, if that is what YOU want go buy one, I know the prices I even have an MC 20 minutes from work, but I dont want it and obviously he didn't either.

I don't think you realize how mean stuff like this can come off as. :(

Lets try to be happy for everyone:D

Just pointing out there are much better deals out there, not to be mean.

Anyone can get get the 5820k for 283 from staples ( if one agent does not oblige the next one will).

Let us know when it gets here and how long it took.

I wish I could say everything is going smooth. It doesn't seem like it shipped today, it's well past closing time in Germany and I never got a shipping notification. I sent an email asking if there were any problems. I haven't received a reply, but I did sent it at what would be towards the end of their day. I'm hoping for it to ship tomorrow, or at least hear something. Missing shipping by the weekend I assume will set things back.

The post I got the link from, that person received theirs in 4 days I think. I thought that seemed fast, so I did a little checking at UPS, Turns out they're right, if it had shipped today it would have been here between Monday and Wednesday next week depending on what UPS method they chose. That seems pretty quick, I've had US shipping take that long.

Worst case, if by some miracle they show up in-stock in the US real soon, I can always cancel the other order if it hasn't shipped.

Just pointing out there are much better deals out there, not to be mean.

Anyone can get get the 5820k for 283 from staples ( if one agent does not oblige the next one will).

Eh. I got my 5820k for $300/tax free last weekend from Microcenter. I'm happy with that. I also got a MSI X99A SLI PLUS motherboard (3 slot SLI w/28 lanes+ USB 3.1) for $179. That's about as good as I'm going to do. Once I get my system setup I'll probably add a 3rd 980Ti.

I was going to go Skylake, but for 4k gaming, I decided Haswell-E is still the better choice.

I didn't want to upgrade from my 3770k Ivy Bridge but my motherboard is dying (either that or one of my 980Tis is defective...we shall find out shortly).:(

says $25.76 for priority, I selected the Free ground shipping which oddly now says$13 if I select it now

Interesting, thanks for checking, guess they're not over charging me specifically because I'm in PR then... Still, I think I'll pass, just being impatient really.

Forget skylake, 5820k is 283 at staples after 110% pm to microcenter or less with coupons. X99 boards are easily in the 150-170 range often.Any 5820k will do 4 ghz nice n cool and be good for 4-5 years to come.

If it was just about the price and the core count I'd have gone for that too... I don't really need the extra cores tho, or the extra heat, and Z170 boards look better overall for my needs (as far as layout*, lanes, and features). That's just me tho...

*For two GPU, a sound card, and maybe an M.2 drive relocation if it runs too hot on M.2.

Eh. I got my 5820k for $300/tax free last weekend from Microcenter. I'm happy with that. I also got a MSI X99A SLI PLUS motherboard (3 slot SLI w/28 lanes+ USB 3.1) for $179. That's about as good as I'm going to do. Once I get my system setup I'll probably add a 3rd 980Ti.

I was going to go Skylake, but for 4k gaming, I decided Haswell-E is still the better choice.

Tell my why you say that as I am now building a 4K rig

Tell my why you say that as I am now building a 4K rig

Because he heard it somewhere too.

4K is your graphics card pure and simple.

8x/8x for SLI perfomance is indistuisable from 16x/16x SLI.

Only if you are doing 3+ video cards would you need X99 to get better performance from your GPUs for 4K.

Do you think DX12 will change that?

Not even a little bit.

DX12 is going to reduce CPU usage.

Perhaps DX12 games will soak up the extra CPU usage to make more draw calls, but all that is parallel to UHD/4K resolution (side note 4K = 4096x2160, UHD = 3840x2160).

So I think trying to push 4K is still going to be drastically GPU bottlenecked for a long long time.

Back