6700k delidding - Totally worth it! (My experience)

Raendor

Gawd
So, just wanted to encourage whoever is in doubts here regarding the cpu delidding and afraid of damaging their CPUs in process.

With tools like Rockit 88 - it's totally safe and worth it! I officially proclaim Intel a lazyass cheapskate company with the way they limit OC potential and temps on Haswell/Skylake/Kabylake cpus.

I was contemplating the delidiing of my 6700k for several reasons for a while but was put off by the risks until I got myself Rockit tool this week. Short background, my 6700k was a dud. It could only OC to 4.5 at 1.32 and was hitting around 70 C with AIO under 100% load, but that was more around 72 in hot summer. At 1.35 it was crashing when trying to reach 4.6 and the temps were not comfortable for my opinion.

So, yesterday I finally performed the delidding operation, replacing crappy silicon and TIM with super glue and CLU. I didn't have a chance to run many test yet, but thetemps decrease is AMAZING. I ran an hour of realbench just now at 1.35 and 4.6 (!) and not only passed it without a hitch, but my temps were at 54 C, sometimes going even down to 52 on standard fan profile (Asus z17 and Cryorig A80). Also,the thermal paste between IHS and pump was a standard Cryorig one,so good enough, but nothing fancy. I'm waiting fro my Arctic Silver 5 to arrive and it might get a few more degrees off.

I'll probably not gonna go above 1.35 as i really like the low temps and the intent for delidding was also to be able to put this cpu later in Node 202, but I am already impress and will try to see if 4.7 is achievable on 1.35. Might just also revert to 4.5 with lower voltage (like 1.3).

But anyways, my experience is very positive. Shaving that much and being able to get through the previous OC wall is amazing. Also, for merely $36 that the delidding tool and relidding bracket cost me - it was totally worth it. Safe and simple. Might share further results once I get my Arctic Silver, but I encourage anyone who was in doubt to pull the trigger, get the tool and enjoy better temps and performance. Shame I had to do all that instead of Intel.

Last edited:
So you added the IHS again? Be careful with uneven pressure since the IHS may be in direct contact with the die then.

Else nice result on your dud. :)

So you added the IHS again? Be careful with uneven pressure since the IHS may be in direct contact with the die then.

Else nice result on your dud. :)

I put the IHS back with superglue and relidding bracket by the same Rockit. It's perfectly centered.
That's some perfect video demonstrating the process.

I used it as my guide.

Thanks!

That's what I thought and why I warned about uneven pressure when you attach the cooler :)

If careless you could crush one corner of the die.

I wanted to give a quick update. So after some benchmarking with the delidded cpu I settled for 4.6 at 1.328 voltage with LLC4 (so the voltage is 1.328 99% of the time with 1% being rare jumps to 1.344 for a second) and +0.001 offset.

It seems like 4.7 is still beyond 1.35 or 1.36 mark, so after failing few times almost instantly in Realbench to get 4.7 at 1.35/1.36 I settled for 4.6 at liwer voltage. After an hour if Realbench my maximum temps are 59/60/61 (depending on the weather in MD these days, though the delta is low) with averaging around 55 most times (plus/minus degree). All in all, I think it was so worth it and I'm finally happy with voltage/temps/OC I got from my 6700k.

Used the Rockit 88 tool to de-lid a 6700K over the weekend and temps dropped 12C at stock and 15C at 4.7GHz overclock. Went from 85C to 70c at 4.7GHz. Unfortunately, I'm still having a problem w/high voltage requirements (above 1.4v) at 4.7GHz and the power seems to be throttling down or drooping after 3 minutes of Prime95. Not sure I can get around it with the Gigabyte Z170x G3 board. I've not found away to disable adaptive mode and updating BIOS didn't help. Otherwise, seems stable at 4.5GHz w/under 1.38v adaptive. Temps are 55-57C under bench load and 49C under gaming load. De-lidding the 6700K is definitely worth it.

Back