67 C in the cores under max load too hot for E8400?

jhokie

Limp Gawd
Just got a new ATI 6950 which is quite outpacing my E8400... so I'm trying a bit of OCing to balance it out a bit.

Using prime95 stress benchmark... Stock (3.0 Ghz) temps in the cores are about 58 C after 30 minutes of full load.

OCed to 3.6 Ghz core temps are about 67 C. Strangely enough if I try 3.2 or 3.4 Ghz it's about the same temp as 3.6.

I've also monitored temps while gaming... it seems to hit about 64 C max OCed, a little lower than the 67 C stress test. Are these temps too high to have a processor that will last me at least a year?

Changing the FSB wont mess with the temperatures as much as changing voltage will, that's probably what you're experiencing when you go from 3.6 to 3.2

But yeah, your temps are fine!
That processor should live more than a year, lol

Also if you have the vcore on auto, most boards will adjust the vcore as you O/C, it will adjust it on the high side.

Are you using the stock cooler? I've never seen mine over 60c, and I run it at 4.1ghz.

Are these temps too high to have a processor that will last me at least a year?

No your temp is fine.

67C on any Intel CPU core2 or greater is nothing to worry about no matter what cooler is being used. I would start to think about adding cooling when I am in the upper 80s or if I believe the temp is holding the overclock back.

Back