667 vs 533 does it make that big of a difference?

Bigdady92

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I ordered a new Dell laptop. It's got a 667mhz FSB yet it comes with DDR2 533mhz RAM.

Now I'm looking to order some more memory and was told that the 533mhz will run it just fine with no issues, but the stuff I run is very CPU intensive (WoW, Video editing,etc). Does it matter if I get the 533mhz memory or the 667mhz memory? The difference is almost $400 for 2 1GB sticks as I can buy 2 1GB sticks for 180 vs 280 for 1 1GB stick.

The difference is 25%. I'm not sure why you're buying the memory from Dell; when I buy from an OEM, I get the system with no options and then add what I want. The pricing is almost always substantially better.

no the pricing I am quoting is from Crucial, kingston, ebuy.com pricewatch you name it. All that memory is expensive as hell.

If you can find me a 1GB DDR2 667mh SODIMM under $250 I'll buy you a steak dinner.

When I ordered my E1705, the upgrade from Dell was within 20 bucks of aftermarket upgrade, (from 512 533 to 1G of 667 ) so I went with it. Which model did you order?

mikeblas said:
The difference is 25%. I'm not sure why you're buying the memory from Dell; when I buy from an OEM, I get the system with no options and then add what I want. The pricing is almost always substantially better.
i doubt the actual performance boost is anywhere near that. i might opt for like 5-10% at the very very most.

Indeed, 25% is an oversimplification. I guess I meant to clarify that but then got distracted and posted without the details.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:

Awesome! I bought the gigram as I couldn't find it that cheap anywhere else! If you are ever around the Tampa/Orlando Area you got yourself a free dinner at Schula's Steakhouse!

I've heard that the performance is realitvely small but since I've always bought the same memory for desktops and laptops and when dell threw in slower memory it just did not make sense to me why they would do that.

I still am looking for concrete numbers that compare apples to apples here with 1G 533 vs 1G 667. A buddy at work got 2GB of 533 so I might swap them out and benchmark them.

Back