6600 256mb not perfoming as well as it could?

Prose

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I recently bought myself an ASUS 6600AGP 256mb (non-GT), and I had a feeling it would be performing better than it is... It almost seems as though my old Radeon 9700 128mb was a faster card!

I KNOW I've got to have something wrong here... some sort of driver or something somewhere... For example, when I run Doom 3 at 800x600 High Quality, its hardly getting more than 15FPS in some places! This can't be right...

Anyone have any clues?!

good news and bad news....

good: you're right. Something isn't working right and that's not the performance you should be getting out of that card. I did a brief search and found a similiar card's review here.

bad: It doesn't do much better than your old card. They compare it to a 9700 pro and it only seems to get 2-5% gains. It can't even keep up in HL2 and 3dMark. Even when the 6600 is overclocked, it still loses to the 9700 pro in half the tests.

What are your system specs? CPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU, etc.....

If you can, I suggest returning it and getting either a 6600GT, or better yet, a 6800NU. They'll provide much better performance for not that much more cash.

im running a P4 3.06ghz w/ 1gb ram...
I'm thinking the same thing and going to go get myself a better card. thing is, my mobo is AGP so im a little bit iffy on bothering to go big guns when I might as well just build a new box in that case...

reguardless... what is wrong with my card right now?

errr, with my old 6600 overclocked i scored better in 3dmark2003 and 2005 than a 9800 Pro 256 bit card. At stock it performs around a 128 bit 9800 pro. But yea, you should have gone with a 6600GT

I had a 256 megabyte 6600 back when I thought more memory = more speed. Oopsie.

You can overclock the hell out of that card--it has the same core as a 6600GT which is designed for 500 mhz, but the 6600 only runs at 300. This will give it a VERY healthy boost in games like Doom 3 and FarCry

But the memory is slow as crap and will hold you back in just about everything... my friends 9700pro kicked the crap out of it in Halo and some games. 15 FPS in Doom 3 isn't right though, that card should still be good for Doom 3...

Make sure you have the chipset drivers and the latest Nvidia drivers! If you want more performance than a 9700pro, you should look into a faster card... like a 6800nu

Back