660 Ti vs 670 @ 2560 x 1440

XTF

Gawd
What's the performance delta for these two cards? In BF3 MP benchmarks the 670 seems to be only 13% faster, while cost is about 36% more.
Is it really just 13% or did I just not look at the right benchmarks?

I've got a 660ti in my HTPC and 3 670's in my workstation/gaming rig. I would say at that resolution go for the 670. 13%+ is a pretty significant margin especially when you look at that bench and see average is 60FPS, which is borderline for an online game IMO, as you will have dips well below 60FPS.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/647?vs=598

This is always the case when judging price/perf between cards of the same brand. The price/perf is rarely linear. My advice when choosing a new GPU is to look at benchmarks of the resolution you plan to use and check if the FPS is acceptable to you. If you are budget constrained then you need to accept you may need to compromise on graphics settings in game.

You will have to accept in many cases 2560x1440 is going to run mid settings on a GTX 660 Ti. Overclocking may help but it is never a guarantee you will get a good overclocker.

IMHO if you have the money go with the GTX 670. If you are on a tight budget and aren't set on Nvidia then consider a HD 7950.

I'm not set on nV. I had a 7950 for a short time but it died (and had coil whine). Max frametimes no Radeons are a bit bad, but AMD is working on that.

I'm sorry to hear that your 7950 failed, I hope it was under warranty.

Coil whine can afflict any card so it's kind of a lottery if you get it or not. IMHO the GTX 670 or the cheaper HD 7950 is a better option than a GTX 660Ti at 2560x1440 resolution. Get one of the good brand OC editions with higher grade components to reduce the chances of coils whine.

What are the good brand OC editions? I had a Sapphire 7950, it was under warranty.
Even some Asus (mother)boards suffer from coil whine though.

Last edited:
Was your Sapphire 7950 a reference version or an OC Vapor-X edition?

Some versions of GPUs come with military grade components that are designed to higher tolerances. It isn't a guarantee that you will not get coil whine but it is still less likely.

MSI Twin Fozr editions have military grade components for example. I have the MSI 7950 Twin Fozr III and it has zero coil whine.

Neither, it was the 950mhz edition. Not sure if that's just a dual-X cooler or not.
BTW, military grade components really aren't that special.

BTW, military grade components really aren't that special.

Depends on how those components are US DoD MILSPEC'd (if they are even using USA military grade - they could be Russian or N.Korean military grade, for all we know). The term "military grade" can mean in a range from basic component, lowest bidder to exceeds x criteria, whereas criteria can be expected life, electrical tolerace, material make-up, etc, and any combination thereof.

In the case of MSI, they state their products meet MIL-STD-810.

There's something very important to note with that particular standard:

Wikipedia MIL-STD-810 said:
Mil-STD-810 is a flexible standard that allows users to tailor test methods to fit the application. As a result, a vendor's claims of "...compliance to MIL-STD-810..." can be misleading. Because no commercial organization or agency certifies compliance, commercial vendors can create the test methods or approaches to fit their product. Suppliers can—-and some do——take significant latitude with how they test their products, and how they report the test results.

When queried, many manufacturers will admit no testing has actually been done and that the product is only designed/engineered/built-to comply with the standard. This is because many of the tests described can be expensive to perform and usually require special facilities.

Consumers who require rugged products should verify which test methods that compliance is claimed against and which parameter limits were selected for testing. Also, if some testing was actually done they would have to specify: (i) against which test methods of the standard the compliance is claimed; (ii) to which parameter limits the items were actually tested; and (iii) whether the testing was done internally or externally by an independent testing facility.

Take their claim with a grain of salt. I have used and recommend MSI GPU's for the last few generations because I can snag them on sale for cheaper than the other brands and their TwinFrozr coolers are outstanding, imo.

The Asus coolers appear to be quieter though.
I used to have a MSI R4870 with stock cooler, no TF yet though.

What are good brands and good OC editions?

MSI
Asus
Gigabyte
Galaxy
eVGA with their new dual fan cooler

As far as an OC edition, it may be worth it to you if you don't plan on tinkering around with the clocks. Otherwise, save some bucks and get the non-reference cooler non-OC'd model. Even if you aren't going to mess with OC'ing, I don't think you're going to have problems with any 670 at the resolution you are going to use, factory OC'd or not.

Back