660 Ti or 670

Halecusis

n00b
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a purchase, but I still have some unanswered questions.

I'm looking at two cards. PNY's 660 Ti and their 670. Excluding some architectural differences I am not aware of, the only difference I have seen between the two cards are their memory interface. The 660 Ti runs at 192 bits while the 670 is at 256.

After rebate, the price difference is $80. I don't know what the memory interface affects, or if it is a big deal or not. I am willing to spend the extra cash if it will have a noticeable effect on the card.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

well you need to provide some actual info here. what are the exact specs of your pc? what resolution are you going to be playing at? what games are you looking to play and do you prefer to max game settings out including AA when possible for newer games?

that $80 difference also includes another game as it comes with BL 2 and AC 3 not just AC 3 as on the 660ti. and I would not get either of these cards if they are the reference cooler versions. that cooler is cheap and a little noisy even at idle.

There are some sick galaxy deals in the Hot Deals section iirc for both these cards with a much larger difference than 80 dollars.

Personally I'd always go for as much card as I could afford.

Thanks for the info, sorry for the delay in response. I started this thread and went straight to bed.

My set up is as follows:
i7 950 (Bloomfield) @ 3 GHz
GTX 460
3X 4GB DDR3 1600
Thermaltake 600W

I currently mostly play PlanetSide 2 and Mechwarrior Online @ 1920X1080. I don't usually run AA, but I am looking to make my games prettier. Historically I play a lot of the Total War Series, and I am very much looking forward to Rome 2.

I would not get either of these cards if they are the reference cooler versions. that cooler is cheap and a little noisy even at idle.

They are the reference cards. I was aware of the cooling situation, and to be honest I was a little concerned by that. It seems however, that the cards work well and it is not too difficult manage the heat with some tweaking.

Still, I guess, I would rather go for a quality well constructed card.

Like next-Jin mentioned, great deals if you look around. A GTX 660ti for as low as $179 after rebate or a Galaxy GTX 670 for $300 after rebate. Pretty crazy. Makes me glad I'm not in the market for a card. :)

I have been reading very good things about the Galaxy cards. I have always had an EVGA or PNY card and they have done well for me in the past. I am a bit of a creature of habit, so it is hard for me to move from those manufacturers.

Are the Galaxy as well put together and reliable?

I have been reading very good things about the Galaxy cards. I have always had an EVGA or PNY card and they have done well for me in the past. I am a bit of a creature of habit, so it is hard for me to move from those manufacturers.

Are the Galaxy as well put together and reliable?

I haven't had the opportunity to use a Galaxy GPU, but from my understanding, they are very reliable and I'd put one in my system if I had the chance. There's a rep here on the board who I am sure can tell you more about their products and why you should use them than I can.

Back to 660ti vs 670 though - I would personally go for a 670, unless you are strapped for cash. At the $300 range, your best options are an HD7950 Boost or GTX 670. The 670 will be equal to or a bit stronger than its competition, will run cooler and quieter.

You will never regret getting too much horsepower.

You WILL regret getting too little horsepower.

If you can still afford it, the 670 is my choice.

IF you want 670 performance at a cheaper price point, then consider one of the new AMD 7870XL cards, like the PowerColor Myst..This card is actually like a "7930" in that it uses a cut down 79XX gpu, and at stock clocks it is only 2% slower then a 7950..They seem to overclock just as well as the 7950/70, so with a 20-25% boost on the gpu core, they offer a lot of horsepower for the money..

If you are planning on getting FarCry 3, you can get the same card I linked to from NE for $259, and a MIR that brings it down to $239, with a free Copy of FC3 of course..

Back