66,000 Pound Space Shuttle Fuel Tank Parades Through Streets Of LA

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
There’s an article here, but I think this photo is amusing enough. That bridge can’t be happy.

A massive space shuttle fuel tank is winding its way through the streets of Los Angeles Saturday, on a 16-mile trek heading to the California Science Center. It's set to be displayed with the space shuttle Endeavor. The tank, which was never used in a mission, is the "last flight-qualified space shuttle external tank in existence," according to the science center. As reporter Danielle Karson tells our Newscast unit, ET-94 weighs "66,000 lbs., and is as tall as a 15-story building."

Not bad, really. It's mostly air.
66,000 pounds is less than a fully-loaded 18 wheeler, which is usually up to 80,000 pounds without a permit in the USA (thanks, Google).
And since the tank is likely the only thing allowed on the bridge due to its size, the total weight on the bridge in that picture is probably less than it continuously sustains during normal rush hour.

I can't help it...

We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine...

I weighed in over 44,000 several times although overloaded with 30k tags during the Joplen tornado cleanup in my f250. 66k isnt shit for that semi or bridge.

Hard to appreciate how big that thing is until you see it in familiar surroundings.

Not bad, really. It's mostly air.
66,000 pounds is less than a fully-loaded 18 wheeler, which is usually up to 80,000 pounds without a permit in the USA (thanks, Google).
And since the tank is likely the only thing allowed on the bridge due to its size, the total weight on the bridge in that picture is probably less than it continuously sustains during normal rush hour.
Agreed. I used to load trucks up to around 80,000lbs via forklift. 66,000lbs via a truck is something any bridge around town can handle. The tank is just bulky as hell.

Back