65nm vs 90nm OC'ing

Skrying

2[H]4U
I'm looking at picking up one of the uber cheap Pentium D's and the uber cheap Asrock VSTA board and doing some OC'ing as I wait for the Conroe's to mature a bit and actually arrive.

I was dead set on getting a PD 805, but I've seen the 915 at Newegg for only $30 which nets me 1MB more cache each core and also gets me a drop from 90nm to 65nm.

So I was curious on if anyone could provide some information on how large of a performance gap I could cover and if I'd get any noticable OC'ing increase. I'm not going to invest in a top market heatsink yet so I'll be using stock air.

Thanks for any help.

all in wattage.

all the energy going into a proc is given off in heat (unless you hear or see something from/on the proc).

a 35W processer gives or 35W or heat, a 60W proceser, 60W of heat etc etc.

so thats heat. as for stabillity at extremely high clocks, i dont know about the 900 series but im iv have personally seen the Pent D 805 stabel at 3.8Ghz, and toms hardware pushed it to 4.0 (course i bet its only gonna last a week).

cache size makes minimal differance in most apps. especially when going from 1mb to 2.

it's also got virtualization disabled (compared to the 9x0 chips). virtualization just allows you to run more than 1 instance of an OS

Well, I've had a ball with the 9xx cpu's. I think anyting on the 65nm process is likely to OC for you really well. I would tell you to expect a minimum 30% OC on any 9xx EXCEPT

I've never tried to seriously overclock one with the stock HSF. I always pull it off once I get a boot. However, the stock fan only gives away about 10deg F at idle on the 9xx I've checked, vs good air, You should be able to have some OC fun with the stock cooler.

OTOH, you can hunt down an Artic Freezer for under $20 pretty easily.

Go with a 9xx Im scared to push my 820 past 3.2 because of its 120 watt rating :eek:

I'm going to be pairing the CPU with a Asrock 775Dual-VSTA board. It has the upgrade path I need and Core 2 support and its been getting pretty good reviews, so:

I can grab the 805 and the VSTA for $160.

Or the 915 and VSTA for $211.

I'm searching for lower prices, those are from Newegg.

Its going to be with the 915 hopefully but only if I can sell my old rig before I buy.

I have gothrough 5 pentium d's and i have to say get one which is the 4meg cache , more overclocking potential and a better bang per buck , the difference isnt much but if overclocking is wahy you want then go for it .

I have a 930d which is my sons pc and is at 4200mhz with a aw8 max board and using corsair value select modules . I know they go higher cos my temps are very low at the mo my pc has been on fro the last three days non stop and the temps are 28c idle . I can go higher than what it is but its the PWM chips which heat up when playing games.

The board is important , the ram wont really matter unless you like better latency and are willing to pay the price. On the other hand the 805 are not that really good at overclocking and will on average not go higher than 3.5ghz . Also this is one you will need better ram to reach beter clocks .

The pentium d i have to honestly say only really makes itself be seen and heard after 3.6ghz , anything below that isnt all that and especially at a time like this i would at least buy a pentium 945 d .Because of supply and demand they are £1 more at my local supplier.

Its your choice at the end , your call , i have just recieved my E6600 and i cant wait to check it out but i am still waiting for my Supertalant ram and my board which i need to be compatible with my 7950. :)

nooh said:
On the other hand the 805 are not that really good at overclocking and will on average not go higher than 3.5ghz . Also this is one you will need better ram to reach beter clocks .

uhm... i would like to know what you are smoking, becuase it seems pretty damn strong. My PD805 did 3.9 easily. With the right board and RAM, you can easily get to 4.1Ghz with no problem.

PD9xx series processors should also overclock as well as the PD805 (actually, better). My friend got his PD950 to 5Ghz.

StealthyFish said:
uhm... i would like to know what you are smoking, becuase it seems pretty damn strong. My PD805 did 3.9 easily. With the right board and RAM, you can easily get to 4.1Ghz with no problem.

PD9xx series processors should also overclock as well as the PD805 (actually, better). My friend got his PD950 to 5Ghz.

What type of cooling were you using?

Skrying said:
I'm going to be pairing the CPU with a Asrock 775Dual-VSTA board. It has the upgrade path I need and Core 2 support and its been getting pretty good reviews, so:

I can grab the 805 and the VSTA for $160.

Or the 915 and VSTA for $211.

I'm searching for lower prices, those are from Newegg.

Its going to be with the 915 hopefully but only if I can sell my old rig before I buy.

Are you going to be using SATA raid? I'm putting together a setup with that board and a celery D, and noticed that the Bios always defaults to SATA RAID. If you're moving an existing OS (non raid) to that board, you'll get a BSOD on every boot until you change the bios settings.

yevaud said:
Are you going to be using SATA raid? I'm putting together a setup with that board and a celery D, and noticed that the Bios always defaults to SATA RAID. If you're moving an existing OS (non raid) to that board, you'll get a BSOD on every boot until you change the bios settings.

Hehe, I dont even have a SATA hard drive. I'll also be doing a clean install, as I always do on motherboard or CPU changes.

StealthyFish said:

Thats exactly what i am saying , now listen to this , i bought some nasty cheap 667mhz modules from scan which i just found out two days ago that it give errors , anyway the Pentium D has a high multiplier so the ram rerally does become quite useless and buy the time you get to your final overclocks it goes too hot.

I used some CL5 and you can guess the rest . It would go higher but not stable. I used some crappy ram and if you look carefully at this guys budget he is going to fall in the same category .

I dont smoke at all .Also this guy who we are talking to is not going to overclock his Pentium D to 5ghz.

The Pentium D is a great overclocker and you will get it to 4 ghz but you will have some serious serious serious heating issues.

Stable and problem free i would only say 3.4ghz (805) with the crappest ram you can buy.

You said it in what you said with the right board and right ram . I said nothing about a good board or good ram just the cpu's potential and all the other things have to be added such as good board , good chipset , good ram , good HSF. I am done with pentium D's and AMD for at least a good year and moving on to conroes , also this is the 2nd conroe of this week , man i am lucky.

Skrying said:
What type of cooling were you using?

Stock cooler, thermal pad. I didn't even bother to apply real thermal paste. Temps were around 60C Idle and around 72C + full load. With thermal paste, idle temps are around 40C and top is around 60C.

and no, this guy might not get to 5Ghz, but it shows the potential of the processor. Get decent cooling and you should be good. Get a big typhoon cooler and you should be set.

StealthyFish said:
Stock cooler, thermal pad. I didn't even bother to apply real thermal paste. Temps were around 60C Idle and around 72C + full load. With thermal paste, idle temps are around 40C and top is around 60C.

and no, this guy might not get to 5Ghz, but it shows the potential of the processor. Get decent cooling and you should be good. Get a big typhoon cooler and you should be set.
Exactly the thing i said but you made it look as if i were saying something differnet , the potential of the processor is high but it will only reach its ultimate goal after you take all the other things in count.

Take the e6300 i had this week , its petential is about 2.8-2.9ghz providing i have the right board the right ram and the right cooler.Well i didnt have these things , i had a P5B which didnt let me change the chipset voltage and without this i couldnt go further .Also unlike the D the e6300 only has a multiplier of 7 which then other things need to be good to make up for this such as good rated ram , which again i didnt have.

All these things i will have for my E6600 and i plan to make the most of it, but that said the E6600 is so easy to overclock, just cant wait. Need a board and cant decide should i wait or should i just buy a 975x chipset board , i also need a board that my 7950 XXX can take .

Well i didnt have all these things and i only got to 2.4ghz stable with no errors , yes if things were different then it would have got to that but it didnt.

The asrock board are changing and have better overclocking options , also the chipsets they are using are not that bad but i dont think you are going to see overclocks to what your saying and that is exactly the point.

Do you guys think it will be worth it to spend around 70$ (it's EU so things are bit more expensive here) to upgrade my 805d to 915?
I currently can overcloak it only to 3.11 Ghz becouse my board doesn't allow Vcore changes. Will 915 be able to reach 3.5-3.6 ghz@ stock voltage ?
I need it only for few months till there either are cheap good conroe mobos or till those high multiplier e4x00 series conroe hits the market.

Back