650 ti - 1gb or 2gb for physx?

GhostCow

Limp Gawd
Thinking about getting a second video card for my new build in March to do physx processing. Does anyone know how much ram you need for a dedicated physx card? There seems to only be a $20 difference between the two cards, but no sense in wasting money, right?

I can't remember the exact number, but when I used a 650 Ti for dedicated PhysX I don't believe that I ever saw it use more than 300MB. This is in games like Metro: LL, the Batmans, and Borderlands 2.

Wont use a gig even. BUt for resale or future use $20 may be good investment:D

Went from a 460, 660, to a 7950 with no PhysX, to a 760, couldn't tell any difference or lack of anything without PhysX. Why even waste the money?

This. It's mostly a gimmick. I have never seen any real world difference.

I happen to like the PhysX effects in most of the games I've played that have them, but it's true that they're purely for "extra shit flying around" and make no gameplay difference whatsoever :)

When I add my old 570 back to machine in sig and dedicate it to PhysX it makes for a ~10fps increase to min fps in games like Batman AC. There is a slight reduction in max fps. That's at 1440p with PhysX on high. Take that for whatever it's worth, I suppose. Some might say +10fps to minimum is worth it if they want the PhysX stuff turned on without it killing performance. I don't happen to find the power drain and heat output acceptable in my situation.

I happen to like the PhysX effects in most of the games I've played that have them, but it's true that they're purely for "extra shit flying around" and make no gameplay difference whatsoever :)

When I add my old 570 back to machine in sig and dedicate it to PhysX it makes for a ~10fps increase to min fps in games like Batman AC. There is a slight reduction in max fps. That's at 1440p with PhysX on high. Take that for whatever it's worth, I suppose. Some might say +10fps to minimum is worth it if they want the PhysX stuff turned on without it killing performance. I don't happen to find the power drain and heat output acceptable in my situation.

For what it's worth, I would also have kept a dedicated PhysX card if my motherboard allowed it with SLI. The 650 Ti I had was frugal with the electric juice, so I didn't mind having it in the computer. The problem is most Z87 motherboards, except those with PLX chips, simply can't run SLI + PhysX card + audio card + wireless card (which I have to have).

My old P67 Deluxe could, but it used a PLX chip to always supply x4 bandwidth to the x4 slot, even if the x1 slots were in use. Next time I'm buying a chipset with some real PCIE bandwidth!

PhysX is for game eye candy lovers. It doesn't improve gameplay or your ability of playing games, and it specially does not improve the story of the game. Just eye-candy. Some people like it or leave it, it's a subjective matter, and should not be argued about at all. I personally like it.

That aside, the 1gb 650ti is more than enough.

Back